WEX Reviews

Melissa Smith

Good, but slipping

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at WEX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits, bonuses. Some excellent managers. Even with new acquisitions, no dramatic changes in the workforce.

Cons

Management has lost touch with workers and what goes into making everything work. They are focused on "global" rather than integration and sustainability. Lots of rearranging of managers with very little benefit.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what makes the business work and the people who support the day-to-day operations. That's what makes the money in the long run.

2. Great place with great people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at WEX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great paid time off -Fantastic pay and room for advancement if you work for it. -Nice yearly bonus -Great coworkers

Cons

-Mediocre communication from management. -Adding more customers than current reps can handle, causing overworked employees.

Advice to Management

If you're going to get thousands of additional customers, make sure you have the appropriate amount of reps to cover them.

Downhill

I have been working at WEX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Peers are great to work with and the company is certainly expanding globally.

Cons

Culture, benefits, management have declined over the past few years

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to mid level management and revert back to the old days when we all felt like valued employees.

WEX

I have been working at WEX

Pros

Good people who work with you directly.

Cons

Bad benefits, leadership and support of IT projects. HR continues to implement more 'process' which costs the company money and does nothing to improve the place while getting funding for projects is generally lost to the next big idea. Duplication of code and lack of investment by upper management makes WEX a frustrating place to be a programmer.

Advice to Management

Promote and reward top talent or you will lose it! Lots of talk about company growth but little support or appreciation of IT.

going down hill

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at WEX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with. The jobs are dynamic. I've been here for almost ten years and have never been bored. Always learning new things.

Cons

very weak benefits. A lot comes out of your pocket before it starts to cover anything. Pay doesn't match the expectations placed on employees. work load can be overwhelming. executives have lost touch with their associates.

Advice to Management

Don't forget who really makes this company run. You have seperated yourselves like you are better by moving all of the executives to the top floor and spending tons of money to renovate. You've spent tons of money on buildings that you don't even own but won't let departments hire the people they need. All of the things that used to make WEX a great place to work have been weeded out. No more Take Your Child to Work day, Halloween celebration, community fund raising, CSO recognition night. Stop hiring directors and up from the outside.

Getting worse by the day...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

I have been working at WEX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At least I have a job. I guess that's a plus, right? Morale is very low. People are not shy about being unhappy. If you get on the right team and have certain managers, you can literally just chat and browse the Internet all day. Unfortunately, that means only a handful of people are carrying the load.

Cons

This company is all about image now, and they are spending so much money on their visual presence. New lobby, cafeteria, Executive offices, and conference rooms, while the areas where the minions actually work are grey and uninspired. Executives take pat increase after increase, but most employees only see 2-3% raises even for exceptional performance. Executive team is not engaged with the workforce. Bullying is normal and not stopped by HR. Management turns a blind eye to bad behavior and takes 100% of the credit for anything good you do. The culture of the company has changed from a welcoming, warm, family feeling to that of a cold, large corporation, and employees are noticing! The folks who have been carrying the company on their shoulders are leaving in droves. So sad to see. Pay is stagnant and below market value. Employees are not treated equally.

Advice to Management

I hope they are reading these reviews and make some changes! Make the next round of raises count. Don't just give them to management! Fire the dead weight and dishonest employees. Quit spending so much to make the buildings unwelcoming.

The rot at the top

I have been working at WEX full-time

Pros

Great people to work with in the trenches - they'll support and console you, and you'll know you're not alone.

Cons

Pretty much what others have said - there's a lot of new upper level management, taking credit for the work of their teams but not providing leadership or value. The new SVPs - especially the older female ones - are snobbish and catty - lots of name calling about others and eye rolling. This happens in meetings, hallways and everywhere. Definitely not leading by example. As others mentioned, HR is as incompetent as they come. Never seen a bigger group of misfits think they were high fliers. Don't bother putting complaints into the hotline - those go unanswered. Good people leaving everyday. With all the new people, our team has no institutional knowledge - big inefficiency.

Advice to Management

Talk to your teams and those in the trenches. We're desperate for leadership, but you stay huddled up in your executive wing. We never see you in Darling Avenue, unless there's a photo opp for something to get posted on Yammer.

Times they are a changing

I have been working at WEX

Pros

- Great colleagues, willing to share information and always help - Good experience and opportunity to learn

Cons

- Zero employee engagement. We feel less connected now than ever before. New leaders don't talk to employees, they stay huddled on the fourth floor and only talk to each other. - Toxic culture. Negative attitude start at the top and run deep. People are pushed out and walked over. Good people are gone and more are leaving. - Too much corporate speak/too little action. We hear the buzz words - WEX House, manage the matrix - and we create nice pictures. But nothing happens, nothing changes. - HR. A bad group that's only gotten worse in the past two years. 66% turn over year over year. They cannot even process payroll correctly. major incompetence.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk and talk the talk. We put up values posters, but what happens behind closed doors is a far cry from those posters. We don't value people, we work them until they're exhausted and they leave. Oh, and please figure out how to pay us correctly.

10. Growing pains

Former Employee - Low Level Supervisor in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Low Level Supervisor in Portland, ME

I worked at WEX (More than 8 years)

Pros

WEX was a 5 star company but is experiencing growing pains with the new CEO and sr exec team. Bonuses are good. Work is interesting.

Cons

Low salaries, low raises that barely keep pace with inflation. "Need" to keep pace with FleetCor, forgetting to keep pace with local employers. "Promotions" that add tons of work but no bump in salary.

Worked with some super people, then there were all the new VP

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

I worked at WEX (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to meet goals, though this could be a negative as well. fair salary, ok bonus'. Daily challenges working with the diverse technology stacks meant little time to be bored even when the particular task was boring.

Cons

Hit or miss management. Increasing frequency in contradictory management since the new CEO was appointed. The company can make money on cruise control now, senior leadership buildout looks like a boondoggle and a money grab by career executives. Technology opportunities/jobs/management not in line with a true tech focussed company. More concern with not rocking the boat than being disruptive in the market.

Advice to Management

Hang tight. The board isn't likely to replace you with younger, talented, hungry execs as long as profits keep rolling in.

RSS Feed </> Embed