WEX

Not yet rated.

Melissa Smith

Good Place To Work in Online Development

Online Developer (Former Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsGood team, solid management. I gained respect once I was able to prove my value.

ConsSome folks are using antiquated technologies.
    Some quirky and squawky people seemed to make it to the top on biz side; this was frustrating at times as they were not necessarily qualified to make these decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a good experience. Thank you for 6 pleasant years.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCareer advancement, training, tuition reimbursement

ConsVery corporate, cliquey, not a lot of time off, older staff

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and check-in more

Politics and deadwood

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsThere are some decent and smart people, but watch your back. If you put in the years, you can take month long vacations. Company is well positioned and makes a lot of money.

ConsLifers hanging on because they know they are antiquated and could never come close to what they are being paid by Wex. Very rigid bureaucracy. Fiefdoms are everywhere.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall friendly ethical company but lacks in training and direction

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHealthy finances, growing, national and growing internationally.

ConsDisorganized structure. For example one manager may cover many different brands from coast to coast, so your team mates are your direct competition. Too much focus on CRM tool. Unrealistic quotas.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak to your staff more and get more down to earth as far as expectations

Not a place to make much money

Analyst (Former Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsI had a horrible experience here, and it wasn't for lack of trying. I actually won their coveted "Wexcellence" award a few times, but a piece of paper with my name on it and a gold medal to wear around my neck doesn't go very far when you have to pay a mortgage.

ConsWEX grossly underpays their employees. I began with the company as an analyst and had to fight tooth and nail to get $32k per year. In a future position, I brought to the attention of my manager the average pay for my job in South Portland at different companies of similar size, which was about 15k more than what I was making at WEX. The manager finally said "look, Wright Express just isn't going to pay you the market value." I left soon after that. Best decision I ever made and helped me realize my value. Eventually if you work for a company long enough that doesn't pay at market value, or above, you begin to feel like you're not worth market value. Get out before you convince yourself that this is the best it will ever get.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to go to bat for your direct reports in getting them fair market value for their role and skill levels. It's nice I guess to get a "wexcellence" award, but people are rarely motivated by a piece of paper and a medal. Invest monetarily...it will go further.

Good people, good company.

ProsLaid back, many different positions and interests. Good location in South Portland, and highly profitable company with employees who have a lot of experience.

ConsNot very structured intern program. Not much else bad about this company, it's not one that comes to mind for a to be financial services intern.

This is NOT a good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsNo pros at all for WEX

ConsThey will not help you, but will let you make mistakes then let you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees to help them improve.

People oriented but lacking decision-makers and top heavy in management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsPeople are friendly and management "appears" to be accessible. Lots of reward programs.

ConsIn the department I was in, most seemed unqualified for their jobs. A few stars carry the rest. No one takes responsibility for things so projects take longer than necessary and follow though is spotty. Management seems "penny wise and pound foolish" when it comes to big picture; love to hear big ideas, don't want to do what it takes to implement them. Middle Management is all about meetings, but nothing ever gets done.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much status quo. Get some processes in place and then enforce them. Too many people circumvent or ignore channels.

Sales just keeps on humming!

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBeen with them for two years now. Never worked for a sales team that is more focused and driven. Former VP of Sales set the tone and the Sales Managers follow through on it. They are focused on helping me sell more and what sales person doesn't want that! I have time with my manager one on one every week and that's never been faciliated in a remote sales team environment I've been part of. Comp plan rewards for solid performance... meaning you make a good living when you post solid sales numbers for the company.

ConsThe only downside is the health plan. The recent move from HMO to whatever the abreviation is now leaves me having to pay a little more out of pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all the fleet sales people together on the same team! I have opportunities the branded and OTR teams can and should be working and I'm not sure who to work with!

Very employee-centered and lots of opportunity to move up in the company.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsCustomer service opens the door to move up into most areas of the company, which most people seem to do. The attrition rate seems pretty low. The call center is casual (jeans are ok), the scheduling is flexible (it's open 24/7 so plenty of shifts to work with your lifestyle), the training is thorough so you're well prepared for your job, and people are pretty friendly. The company itself is very employee-focused, with exercise programs, an onsite gym, frequent potlucks and contests, etc. But maybe most impressive is the level of attention you receive from management, right down to tiny details--like being given your own hand sanitizer and tissues to keep at your desk.

ConsThe customer service position is actually a call center, so be prepared for that (although, you're working with business-to-business calls and not so much with the angry public). The scheduling is very tight, so if you're 5 minutes late all the calls will stack up and it's a pretty big offense. The training is intense, so if you're uncomfortable having to navigate several systems on both Windows and DOS based programs, you might not be happy about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far. The training was excellent, I always get my questions answered, and all my schedule requests have been met, so.... pretty good so far!

Worked for WEX? Contribute to the Community!