WGBH Reviews

Reset
3.3
WGBH President and CEO Jon Abbott
Jon Abbott

Pros
  • There are many good and creative people who work at WGBH and they are the best reason to work there (in 6 reviews)

• Worked with very smart people on quality programming that I felt good about (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst thing about working for this company is, it's a non-profit that is being phased out of the industry because of mismanagement (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of levels of middle management, so getting things approved can take forever (in 4 reviews)

1. Managing Director

I have been working at WGBH full-time

Pros

Mission driven; quality product; nice work environment

Cons

Sometimes we do things that are not good business and serve a very small segment of the community. These things take time and resources away from projects that are more productive overall to the community we serve

Industry leader, but employees are disposable

I worked at WGBH full-time

Pros

They make the lion's share of what is produced by PBS, and it's a hugely creative environment to work in.

Cons

So many of the positions are "contract", using the model for all of the television productions themselves which may come and go depending on seasons an renewals, but it's a handy way of saying to all of the other full time staff that they can let you go at any moment because they're not renewing your contract, even if nothing else about your position is seasonal/temporary. It's a convenient way to skirt many rules and laws around employment.

Advice to Management

Advice would be simply to have a little more respect for your employees, see them as partners in the work, and not as disposable means to an end. Yes, it's a dynamic and great place to work, and there's no end to the line of super qualified folks that want to be a part of that, but doesn't mean you should take advantage of that unending supply, and discard folks after a few years rather than return the sense of investment they've delivered to you.

3. WGBH Boston

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WGBH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

mission driven, programming to be proud of, relatively good work/life balance, state of the art production facilities

Cons

Senior management out of touch with day to day needs/challenges of staff. Poor interdepartmental collaboration.

Advice to Management

Work closer with staff and department managing directors to gain perspective of the unique challenges each face daily.

5. WGBH

Pros

they offer a good work life balance

Cons

not a lot of career advancement opportunities

6. Good environment & mission-led, can be hard to advance

Pros

good health benefits & work/life balance mentality

Cons

a lot of red tape & bureaucracy, can be hard to advance

Business Manager

Pros

Great Coworkers - creative and cooperative

Cons

Terrible Managers - greedy and self centered

Advice to Management

You are not running your personal kingdom - manage for the Foundation

8. Neutral

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at WGBH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Company can be credited to so many innovations and productions -Surrounded by bright, intelligent, talented people with tons of stories -There is opportunity for advancement

Cons

-Salary could be higher, similar positions elsewhere pay more -Departments can communicate/collaborate more

Advice to Management

-Be more transparent -Touch on more of department's work during annual meetings -Be more creative in ways for employees to get to know each other

WGBH Response

Jun 29, 2015 – Managing Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback! I mill make sure that the communications team receives your feedback about the annual meeting. The HR team will be working together to review our employee events over the ... More

Great Place to start your career. Opportunity for training and advancement is limited.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at WGBH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers made it worth coming to work every single day. I could not have asked for a better group of people to work with who were always willing to help one another.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement or training. Management was dysfunctional and had no idea how to do the jobs that their staff was doing. Wen often times wondered what work certain managers were actually even doing. The department was understaffed and staying late was the only way to finish time sensitive work.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. If you notice a ton of turnover, maybe it is time for a change in your management style.

I was a summer intern in the Marketing Operations Department. My experience there was great!

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Friendly work environment, good work-life balance

Cons

Salary is below average for the industry, focus on short term goals rather than long term

Advice to Management

If you want the best people working there, you need to offer competitive salaries

11. Loved it!

Former Employee - On-Air Fundraising Producer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - On-Air Fundraising Producer in Boston, MA

I worked at WGBH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was one of the best experiences in my life. To be able to raise funds for educational programs that I honestly believed in was an honor.

Cons

There were very few cons with my position. I absolutely loved working with everyone at WGBH. There were some political challenges, but really nothing that affected me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and raising funds for the programming that makes a difference in the lives of so many people around the world.

WGBH Response

Jun 29, 2015 – Managing Director of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience! A lot of great work is done by the on-air fundraising department. We will continue to keep up the good work! Thanks again for taking the time to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed