WGBH Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
2.8

WGBH President and CEO Jon Abbott
Jon Abbott

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance, Good Mission, Friendly People (in 4 reviews)

• There are many good and creative people who work at WGBH and they are the best reason to work there (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The economy is a rough factor when working at a non-profit company today (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management seems to have little vision for the future (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent exp if you're looking to work at a non-profit

Former Employee - Marketing and Fundraising in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing and Fundraising in Boston, MA

I worked at WGBH as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned in the local development department and mostly worked on holiday auction stuff, so my experience at the company is limited to that. I loved my supervisor and the rest of the staff in this department--they were always friendly and accommodating. I appreciate how interns receive a lot of the same perks as the actual employees (e.g. interns can attend seminars and eat the free, catered food; get the free flu shot during the fall; go to monthly meet ups; etc.). I also thought it was cool that I received my own @wgbh.org email address (even though I hardly used it for anything besides emailing my supervisor and other dept members). There's also free coffee (via the Keurig machine) and snacks in the volunteer room (so many Utz potato chips and pretzel crisps!).

Cons

This doesn't have much to do with the company, but getting from my college to WGBH was a bit annoying because the bus arrived/departed at strange intervals (I think it was usually about 40 mins - 2 hours). If I missed a bus going back to Harvard Sqr, I'd either have to wait for an hour or walk back. About the company itself, I don't have any criticisms because I enjoyed my experience. I know non-profits aren't really required to pay its interns, but I think the benefits/free food and snacks sort of balanced out the fact that I was unpaid.

I never interacted with any managers besides my supervisor and his supervisors. As I mentioned, they were all kind.

Cultural Shift. Cares less about employees more about bottom line.

Former Employee - Manager in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Brighton, MA

I worked at WGBH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Contributing to the Public Broadcasting System (PBS), Employer-matched to 403(b), very good healthcare options. Very talented co-workers. Forward thinking and exciting topics bringing awareness to issues which are not usually considered. Guiding principle of the organization is to educate and inform the public -- so the moral imperative is liberal and passionately diverse.

Cons

It's a non-profit so the pay is lower than a standard profit-driven organization. Many department-head's compete with each other rather than work towards a common goal. Top-level management does not listen to lower-level feedback.

Upper-level management squelches creative process in favor of expediting profits.

Dedicated, driven, passionate - Many many things to learn

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at WGBH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere (mostly) - great energy and creativity from the staff. New software is starting to bring WGBH up to speed.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement can be very limited. Interaction with different teams can be limited as well. Lots of levels of middle management, so getting things approved can take forever. Pay is not as competitive with for sector positions as it should be.

Confusing infrastructure, seems like there are a thousand power plays going on.

Current Employee - Radio Producer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Radio Producer in Boston, MA

I have been working at WGBH part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Was excited to be back on the radio. Everyone seemed friendly and willing to assist.

Cons

My role wasn't very clear- even in the interview, it went from a regular position that may have been full or part time to a sort of temp "on call" position. After less than a workday's time, I was told I wouldn't be doing anything on the air because they couldn't afford to train me.
    I ran a radio station on my own for years. I just needed to be brought up to speed on their on-air standards. I was thrown from "haven't been on the air on years" into subbing for two hours with no information on what I was talking about for two hours, during morning drive. Not cool.

Onboarding process is atrocious.

Little trust in mgt at once-respected operation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA

I worked at WGBH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are many talented, committed, and kind people who work here. The facilities are top notch and the offices are impressive.

Cons

It's a cliche to say a workplace 'used to be so much better.' but in the case of WGBH, it's true. Everyone understands the need to tighten belts, but WGBH's current management chose to downsize in unprofessional and irresponsible ways. At first, managers appeared sincere in asking employees to take voluntary furlough to avoid further layoffs, but the layoffs came with a vengeance, union contracts were gutted, benefits were cut without explanation, and employee cynicism followed. Many hard working people remain there but only on year by year project contracts with no job security. Finally, as an objective sign that there is something wrong, compare the number of current employees to the amount of VPs.

Work to restore the faith of employees who are the engine that keeps your organization going. Rethink ways budget cutting can be done with respect and appreciation. Advice to the WGBH Board? Please pay attention.

Sense of mission

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at WGBH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A number of kind, creative people still around--though there's been a palpable shift in culture and leadership. Used to be a leader in its field, but the media industry has since caught up and surpassed it; it's comparatively a much smaller fish in what is now a pretty big pond.

Cons

For those who are idealistic, mission-driven, and averse to suits--you may find yourself frustrated.

Find a way to bridge the culture gap.

Great place to learn from colleagues

I worked at WGBH

Pros

Creative atmosphere, fabulous coworkers, and great opportunities to learn from others in the organization. I'm a big fan of the monthly meet ups and various networking opportunities!

Cons

The organization's enormity hinders company unity. It can be overwhelming to navigate the different departments and connect with others within the company.

Great Experience

I worked at WGBH

Pros

I interned at WCRB, the classical station, for about 6 months. It was a great opportunity for me to gain experience working in a radio station and to make connections with important people in the industry. It was also great to work with WGBH, a large, important, and influential company. I learned a lot.

Cons

None that I can think of

Creative workplace with great colleagues

I worked at WGBH part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Creative environment that provides interesting learning opportunities.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Great programming and many talented people, but dysfunctional executive management.

I worked at WGBH

Pros

WGBH is full of talented, mission-driven people, and the programming is some of the best in the world.

Cons

Executive management is quite dysfunctional - they don't always work together as a unified team. There is not a lot of opportunity for career growth.

Listen to your people and respect each other.