WHYY Reviews

Excellent Experience

Former Employee - Senior Producer  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WHYY encourages creativity and experimentation among its production staff. It values new and innovative ideas for projects that will bring new sources of enlightenment to the Philadelphia region.

Cons

As with any non-profit, funding projects will always be an issue. This goes hand-in-hand with lower than market-rate salaries for various positions.

My advice would be to continue to encourage this creativity by adopting a Google-like policy of requiring that all employees devote 10% of their work time to ideas and projects of their own. This should extend to all parts of the company since anyone could have that next great idea for a show, web project, community engagement activity, etc.

Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Location, modern building, happening every day

Cons

Interns are terribly under appreciated here. The company culture is very segregated between media employees and the administrative, sales and marketing staff.

Open up. There are a lot of young people in Philadelphia itching to contribute to your company

Know what you're getting into...

I worked at WHYY

Pros

People across the Delaware Valley will know where you work.
    Cool content pieces
    Good platform to work with other organizations throughout the area.

Cons

Upper management does not value or respect the employees. Many people come to this company excited and vibrant and thrilled to be working there. This quickly disappears once they see the way that they are treated. Extremely low company morale. Constantly watched by upper management.

Trust and respect your employees and treat them better. There are a lot of great people that work at this company who have been disengaged and don't care about the company's mission anymore which is a direct result of how you are treating them. This company should be the place where everyone wants to work, but people are leaving - really great and talent people - because they are sick of being treated so poorly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was able to produce creative segments about Delaware.

Current Employee - Producer  in  Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Producer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at WHYY as a contractor

Pros

I really enjoyed being a part of company that stresses educational and informative television.

Cons

The salary is not as competitive as working at a commercial television station.

Very comfortable, pleasant place to work with people passionate about news.

I worked at WHYY

Pros

Everyone is very polite and down-to-earth. It's a laid-back atmosphere, as opposed to a tense office.

Cons

Career advancement here is far too slow. Some people are in the same position for years without a promotion.

I won't work for another non-profit

I worked at WHYY

Pros

It was fun to work in an environment with so much going on all the time. There were lots of special events, and exciting programs that come out of the station. Great co-workers, great location in Philadelphia. Depending on your department, you can be involved with a lot of interesting projects.

Cons

I was one of many employees whose programs were cut when we lost funding, and I was laid off. I understand that this happens - it happened to a lot of us - but it especially stung when the president of the company was still being paid 3x that of any other public radio station leader in the WORLD, and he openly admitted to us that he did not consider taken a pay cut (he makes more than 700K a year).

Potential for good, unfortunately mismanaged and low morale

I worked at WHYY

Pros

fair amount of independence in everyday tasks

Cons

very low pay, lack of respect, way too corporate for an arts and media company, lack of back up by management, no praise for jobs well done, work overtime with no pay or recognition, overwhelming depressed feeling amongst all employees

treat employees as human beings, trust your employees to do their jobs, give employees some freedoms and let them manage their own time.

Great place to work. Every interview after will know where you worked.

Former Employee - Media Instructor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Media Instructor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY

Pros

Community, Culture, Creativity, Social Impact, Educational and insightful day to day work

Cons

Non profit. No pay. Bad leadership. Not enough creativity. Not enough people willing to take chances.

Stop what you are doing and let the young and brave create a lot of new original content.

Not innovative or interesting, culture of dread and fear, underpaid and overworked

I worked at WHYY

Pros

Everyone is nice for the most part and it's a nice building

Cons

Nothing really changes. Being a non-profit that has to thrive of small budgets, you'd think that there would be ingenuity and innovation, but no, for the most part, everything is done the same way it always has been.

Everyone is so concerned with keeping their job and not taking a risk and being the one that gets the credit for a success (it does happen sometimes) that no one is really thinking about what is best for the company. Simply put, everyone is just trying to cover their ass and keep getting a paycheck. I really think this culture comes all the way from the top of holding people "accountable," which in this case is another way of putting people on notice to not screw up. But if you want to make changes and try something different, sometimes it's not going to work. Failure and risk-taking is healthy. When you don't take risks, you get programming with names like "Friday Arts." Yeah, good luck on getting anyone to watch that. It's like they're purposely being as bland as possible.

Technologically they are way behind and it will bite them someday in a field where you have to be ahead of the curve of trends if you want to survive. Most of the staff doesn't understand current technology and it shows in what they do.

I think the folks that work in "Fresh Air" enjoy themselves (rightfully so, it's a great show) and it's pretty much a joke with everyone else how crappy and draining a place it is.

Low Morale, no opportunities for career advancement

I have been working at WHYY

Pros

Overall really good people to work with.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement, archaic work environment, management is very closed minded, stale environment.

Worked for WHYY? Contribute to the Community!