WHYY

William J. Marrazzo

Glamour, Brilliance, Pay is Very Low

Former Employee - Producer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Producer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You feel like you are helping the world change for the better, helping educate the masses about culture and politics. There are countless brilliant and hilarious people working there. It's a family atmosphere. Also the station is well regarded nationally.

Cons

There's never any money. Nonprofit. Always begging listeners for a buck. Plus upper management makes all the money while the people who create the programming get paid the absolute minimum. It's obvious when a companywide email goes out that there are some leftover scraps from a board meeting and the staff descends like buzzards.

Great place to intern, friendly work environment

Current Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at WHYY as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly; Company has a tremendous reputation; Small productions mean close-knit teams and well-rounded experience; Some very cool experiences available; Great deal of involvement in production process, even as an intern

Cons

Very small budget for every department and pretty low pay (no pay for interns), because it's a non-profit; Seems to be a fair amount of drama (but not unmanageable)

Great place for work satisfaction, but not timely pay raises.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WHYY does great work, well respected work that cannot be bought by advertisers. You will have great pride and satisfaction in your work.

Cons

Politics. Google the president and "his" board, and give yourself 30 minutes.. no, an hour to read why you find. this is an old story.

this is a joke question right? if you want timely advancement, do not apply to WHYY. Great place if you want to be a lifer, or you have a wealthy spouse.

Excellent Experience

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

WHYY encourages creativity and experimentation among its production staff. It values new and innovative ideas for projects that will bring new sources of enlightenment to the Philadelphia region.

Cons

As with any non-profit, funding projects will always be an issue. This goes hand-in-hand with lower than market-rate salaries for various positions.

My advice would be to continue to encourage this creativity by adopting a Google-like policy of requiring that all employees devote 10% of their work time to ideas and projects of their own. This should extend to all parts of the company since anyone could have that next great idea for a show, web project, community engagement activity, etc.

Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at WHYY as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Location, modern building, happening every day

Cons

Interns are terribly under appreciated here. The company culture is very segregated between media employees and the administrative, sales and marketing staff.

Open up. There are a lot of young people in Philadelphia itching to contribute to your company

Know what you're getting into...

I worked at WHYY

Pros

People across the Delaware Valley will know where you work.
    Cool content pieces
    Good platform to work with other organizations throughout the area.

Cons

Upper management does not value or respect the employees. Many people come to this company excited and vibrant and thrilled to be working there. This quickly disappears once they see the way that they are treated. Extremely low company morale. Constantly watched by upper management.

Trust and respect your employees and treat them better. There are a lot of great people that work at this company who have been disengaged and don't care about the company's mission anymore which is a direct result of how you are treating them. This company should be the place where everyone wants to work, but people are leaving - really great and talent people - because they are sick of being treated so poorly.

I was able to produce creative segments about Delaware.

Current Contractor - Producer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Contractor - Producer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at WHYY as a contractor

Pros

I really enjoyed being a part of company that stresses educational and informative television.

Cons

The salary is not as competitive as working at a commercial television station.

Very comfortable, pleasant place to work with people passionate about news.

I worked at WHYY

Pros

Everyone is very polite and down-to-earth. It's a laid-back atmosphere, as opposed to a tense office.

Cons

Career advancement here is far too slow. Some people are in the same position for years without a promotion.

I won't work for another non-profit

I worked at WHYY

Pros

It was fun to work in an environment with so much going on all the time. There were lots of special events, and exciting programs that come out of the station. Great co-workers, great location in Philadelphia. Depending on your department, you can be involved with a lot of interesting projects.

Cons

I was one of many employees whose programs were cut when we lost funding, and I was laid off. I understand that this happens - it happened to a lot of us - but it especially stung when the president of the company was still being paid 3x that of any other public radio station leader in the WORLD, and he openly admitted to us that he did not consider taken a pay cut (he makes more than 700K a year).

Potential for good, unfortunately mismanaged and low morale

I worked at WHYY

Pros

fair amount of independence in everyday tasks

Cons

very low pay, lack of respect, way too corporate for an arts and media company, lack of back up by management, no praise for jobs well done, work overtime with no pay or recognition, overwhelming depressed feeling amongst all employees

treat employees as human beings, trust your employees to do their jobs, give employees some freedoms and let them manage their own time.