WIKA Instrument Reviews

2.9
Dave Wannamaker

1. Not the place it used to be

I have been working at WIKA Instrument

Pros

This company has great benefits.

Cons

This company is becoming too corporate and the internal job promotion process is never by the book.

2. Sr. Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at WIKA Instrument full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Connected to a wealth of resources to start and complete a Lean Journey. Outside consultants and materials were available as well as teaching websites for those prepared to learn on their own.

Cons

Can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Have had 3 layoff to date with a 4th looming. Haven't made profit in over 8 months. Have laid off 20+ year veterans and unable to make shipments as predicted.

Advice to Management

The recently new Sr. Management from purchased company has people skills of a sloth. Has truly no idea how to create synergy within the workforce to better utilize their new manufacturing facility and the personnel of combined companies.

WIKA Instrument Response

Apr 7, 2015Senior Learning & Employee Relations Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. Our employees are our most valuable asset and we are grateful that you have given us comments that we can use to improve. We understand ... More

3. Going Down Hill Fast

I have been working at WIKA Instrument full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, but even the health insurance has become expensive if you go the doctor. The actual workers in the plant are good folks.

Cons

Business is off, managers have squeezed every possible dime they can out of every department and now they pushing the employees. You know it's bad when multiple 10+ and 15+ year employees either leave the company or tell everyone about how they have never seen morale this low. The attitude seems to be, "Well if we run John into the ground and run him off, Paul will be waiting outside the door to take his place. Why? Because we are Wika and we are German!" I don't get it. Then again I do, this is how they operate. Spare nothing as long as we think we are saving money and my numbers look good to my manager! Management just does not understand why people are leaving them... wake up guys! You have put so much responsibility and pressure on the people to perform that it's too much. Where does it stop? Does all the key people have to leave before you open your eyes? Do yourself a favor and don't get sucked into this black hole.

Also, if you are not German, forget going up the ladder. It's only reserved for those who speak German.

Advice to Management

Have the go-nads to clear out the managers that are running your good, long time employees off. Take an HONEST survey of your people who shoulder the load day in and day out and get to the root cause of your turn over! You are going to find you have some managers that are killing you from the inside out. We pride our self on quality? How do you think the quality gets into that gauge?

WIKA Instrument Response

Apr 7, 2015Senior Learning & Employee Relations Specialist

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to share with us what some of your frustrations and recommendations are. We use this feedback to help us grow and be better, especially during this period of growth ... More

5. Started out good the down hill the since 2009

Former Employee - Maintenance
    Former Employee - Maintenance

I worked at WIKA Instrument

Pros

Benefits, holiday pay, co-workers, that's about it

Cons

Favoritism if you are German, especially if you are in maintenance management. Over and over again people keep leaving but they still don't get it.

Advice to Management

Pay attention when someone leaves and follow up as to why then do something about it.

6. Great People & Culture, Fair Practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at WIKA Instrument full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, extremely fair and well rounded employee practices, AMAZING team of people, many who have been with WIKA for 10+ years. The company truly cares about their people and is investing a lot into making it a better place to work all the time, from manufacturing to sales. Work/life balance is awesome and managers really understand that you have a life outside work and will work with you to accommodate that.

Cons

Some people find it challenging to work in a constantly changing, continuously improving environment. I do not personally view this as a con per se, but it could be and is challenging for some new people who have not been exposed to such a change environment.

7. Great company - top management in denial

I have been working at WIKA Instrument full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with huge growth potentials. Intelligent and knowledgeable workforce. Majority of the people in many position are friendly and will offer helping hand when needed. Most of us felled welcome. Great benefits. Outstanding and clean work place. (we just opened our new building) Yey!!!

Cons

When we were purchased by WIKA we had high hopes for finally establishing structure and fairness in our organization, something that has been lacking for a long time. Year and a half later it has been a total disappointment. President of WIKA in Houston appears to be in a complete denial of his own ineffectiveness to run this place. From praising employees, then firing then and calling them lazy in employee meeting, to deflecting the blame for the decisions he makes to others. It seems that everyone is an idiot to him.

Advice to Management

In general management is OK. Few great, few ok and few as we had before...

8. Excellent company, great people

I have been working at WIKA Instrument full-time

Pros

Treats its people very well, great products, industry leader, outstanding culture

Cons

Difficult to progress if you are not German or protected by German management

Advice to Management

Recognize that you are an international company, not just a German company

9. If you want to make any money, you will have to be willing to give up 20 years of your life in here

Current Employee - An Idiot for Being Here in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - An Idiot for Being Here in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at WIKA Instrument full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, the cost of such have increased over the years lately,company is trying to keep a fair share of the cost but they increase it every year to employees.People are the main attraction of this place, a lot of diversity in this place, the manufacturing floor constituting of mainly foreign asian workers and bosnians.

Cons

Foreign German Company, unless you actually speak any german you will not get to be an executive in here, Most Directors and Managers are german.The biggest thing to move up the corporate ladder in here is politics, you have to kiss someones butt or be friends with people in certain positions. Company believes they appreciate their employees when most of them feel underappreciated. Furthermore managers in this place run the floor with terror and instilling fear in the foreign workers.Upper management has no knowledge or interpersonal skills, no interaction with regular employees whatsoever. The words promotion or raise do not exist in this company unless you know someone otherwise you will spend a lot of time in just getting a mere 3% or 0.25 cents of a raise at the end of the year.They dont even know how to spell the word training, they just throw you to the pool and you will learn how to swim eventually, but at the same time we want you to execute in a productive, quality manner.Forget weekends if you work on the floor because you will be here on saturdays and if you can't come or you don't want to, supervisors and managers will threaten you about losing your job if you are not "willing" to work overtime.

Advice to Management

I doubt they will read this, but my advice to the German crew, would be there is a lot of smart people out there than just germans. Interview people not just to follow company policy, but to actually give them a chance. Furthermore the whole management team from manufacturing to executives just need to be re- trained as they like to call it. A word used to patch things and move along, because afterall the only people in here who are indispensable are the German managers and directors with their broken english, and that one polish. oh wait they have a few caucasians.
    CEO WAS JUST REPLACED BY A CANADIAN SO I HAVE NO OPINION ABOUT HIM, DON'T KNOW HIM

10. Good company, great people,

I have been working at WIKA Instrument full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manufacturing environment doesn't get any better than this
    Friendly people
    Company with a rich history of success
    Largest operation of it's kind in the world
    Benefits
    New CEO - but management has been stable

Cons

A lot is changing - causes unexpected stress on employees
    Long hours on occasion

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees - they provide the best feedback about what should change and how things can be improved.

11. Always changing, never secure with the direction from year to year.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at WIKA Instrument full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, terrific product offering.

Cons

The culture has been on a roller coaster. Constant changes in the marketing and sales departments. Hiring & promoting people to a director position w/o field success, w/o any leadership skills = distrust by subordinates.

Advice to Management

Do what you do best. Stop trying to be "like" Ashcroft. Their ex-employees have not brought the success you had hoped for. Cut your losses and strive for success using your best assets.