WIPO Reviews

Reset
2.5
WIPO Director General Francis Gurry
Francis Gurry

It was a rewarding experience in a multicultural environment.

Current Employee - Fellow in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Fellow in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at WIPO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fellowship gave me exposure to international environment and it was well-paid contract. It was initially 3 month contract and ended up extending to 9 months. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

I didn't think that my supervisor qualified for what she is doing. It seems she got her position by connection. I don't know if it a general problem at WIPO; it is just my experience. The fellowship, although a great opportunity, didn't give me any stability whatsoever as I was given notice of extension only 3 weeks prior to the expiration of my contract. Nerve-wracking, I know!! Also, a recent policy forbid temporary employees from applying to the organization posts. Most positions do have short application's period. Not only I cannot apply to any position while working there, I should observe 2 months after the end of my contract before I can apply to anything.

Advice to Management

Improve the work environment. The weird thing is how come unqualified people get hired and continue working at WIPO despite the fact that given its nature, it must receive thousands of applicants, hundreds of which are overqualified to any position.

Legal Officer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at WIPO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

International work environment, great benefits, good salary, great work life balance, good business outlook because WIPO has a monopoly over PCT filings and patent applications (and the need for international protection) will only increase

Cons

WIPO is just totally mismanaged. Coming from the private sector, I was shocked that there are so many people in managing positions who lack any competence and social or leading skills. The atmosphere was bad because it seemed that the top management only focused on stabbing each other's back. WIPO almost always hires people with connections but zero skills. WIPO has some serious problems with nepotism, corruption and inefficiencies. All this makes WIPO a disastrous work environment for young, ambitious and talented people.

Advice to Management

Member States (especially the US, Germany, France etc) should ensure that transparency, efficiency and merits principles apply. WIPO could be a dream place to work. It deals with IP which many people (including myself) are passionate about. There are tons of highly qualified people who would love to work for WIPO and would be able to create a great atmosphere from the inside. Hire people (including, and most importantly, top management) that is truly skilled and cares for the purpose. The UN will slowly loose all of its reputation the more people become aware what it really is. I left WIPO because I didn't find a dynamic environment, smart people, challenging projects.

WIPO: A Golden Cage

Current Employee - Officer in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Officer in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at WIPO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary, compensation package is huge.

Cons

Many managers at WIPO should never even get close to a managerial position. The Senior Management Team is mostly fighting between each other. The organization is extremely political and promotions are almost impossible if you don't have your government behind you or if you don't have strong backup within the organization. It's like a gold cage: Financially very good but intellectually it is an insult to work for WIPO.

Advice to Management

Management is beyond repair. Advice to WIPO Member States: Select a Director-General and Deputy DGs who know how to manage this house. Select people who have social intelligence and know how to motivate others. Professionals who care.

Very bureaucratic organization, extremely political, poor leadership, inefficient work

Current Employee - P2 in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - P2 in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at WIPO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits, office, international work environment. In some divisions, you can travel a lot. Working at an international organization is certainly a good experience even if it may show you the bad sides of international organizations (and there are many). WIPO is great for people who are either very excited about political games and are less interested whether they deliver good products or for people who only care about a good salary and a good work/life balance.

Cons

Too bureaucratic, many directors don't have leadership skills at all, the work can be boring and not challenging at all. If you are looking for excellence, you can't find it at WIPO. True experts in their fields are rare. It is quite sad because WIPO could be so much more.

Advice to Management

Hire more people from the private sector, train management, be less corrupt

6. Good

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Bangalore (India)

I worked at WIPO

Pros

Global Exposure,Work Place is fine as well with good infrastructure

Cons

Growth and Fairness in Promotions

Advice to Management

Fairness in Promotions and Employee Movement to other Operations within Wipro

7. Great training, fair work distributions, room for advancement

Current Employee - Assistant Examiner in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Assistant Examiner in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at WIPO

Pros

Stability, international environment fairness, great employee benefits

Cons

promotions can be difficult to obtain if you are not pushed by the correct people

8. Décevant Disappointing

I worked at WIPO

(Translated from English)

Pros

Environnement multiculturel, salaires satisfaisants, aspects internationaux

Multicultural environment, satisfying salaries, international aspect

Cons

Direction médiocre, charge de travail très importante, manque de professionnalisme

Poor management, heavy workload, lack of professionalism

Advice to Management

Plus de transparence dans le procédé d’engagement afin d'assurer une meilleure qualité de résultats

More trasparency in hiring process in order to assure quality of results

RSS Feed </> Embed