WIT Software

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

Luís Moura e Silva

The best place i've ever worked...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engenier
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engenier

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Working for the world market
    - Great team work
    - Growing opportunities
    - Financially stable company. They pay on time

Cons

- Need to be proficient in English to talk to clients
    - They make you wash your own dishes

I got surprised with some reviews I read. I work here and I don't see what those people see.

When I started, the headquarters was like a garage on the first floor, too many people in the small spaces, few toilets, no space for eating and not even a place to park the car. But even then, this was much better than my previous job that had good facilities but no future for me.
    Now, there's a new office, where the rooms are separated by teams, we have places to meet and we can play snooker after lunch.

I'm proud to be a part of my team and get recognition from my costumers and team leader.
    Some reviews here cannot be more far from the truth. Every year, I get training hours, I got a raise every year and I can now travel and meet clients abroad. If the others don't have this, try to work with passion and everything will come your way!
    For sure, WIT isn't the place for you if you like to work only for portuguese clients, if you like to develop dull apps or if you don't like to work.
    All I have to say is If you are not happy, why don't you quit? Instead of spend the working hours write false reviews.
    Yes, people work hard and outside the 9-5 schedule… but that comes with working with world-class customers…. in different time zones!!!

Definitely the worst job experience ever

I worked at WIT Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very imaginative, hard working staff.
    Occasionally a brilliant mind or two within the product development teams.
    Very good facilities in Lisbon.

Cons

Awful facilities at the headquarters.
    No sense of professional management whatsoever.
    Completely egocentric management to cover own flaws and overall inferiority complex.
    Total lack of respect for the Human Resources.

Stop believing you're the most qualified for every position (Administrative, Legal, HR, Finance, Sales, Product Development, Business Development, SW Engineering, etc.)
    Stop micromanaging every aspect of the company and start trusting employees.

If you get lucky...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I worked at WIT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with international clients and some emerging technologies.
    You also get a paycheck always on time at the end of the month.

Cons

There are treatment differences between people working at the headquarters and other offices. You have to be lucky with the project you get. Some projects are really bad managed and you might get dumped into a huge project with no formation whatsoever.

"People must be self-motivated" doesn't seem to be a good requirement when you post a job offer.
    Employees are expecting at least some effort from the company they work for to motivate them to do what they are doing.
    Have you ever wondered people might want to be doing something else?
    Answering "We don't have open positions for the X position/project" doesn't count as a satisfying answer, especially if you put someone new in the X position/project a few time later doing exactly what someone asked to do.

It's Getting Better All The Time

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One important preface: I've been at WIT Software for almost 3 years and the current WIT is very different from the WIT I first started working in. Reviews with over 1 year should be for the most part disregarded; they are outdated and don't reflect WIT's current reality at all. It's true the company went through some growing pains a few years ago, but they're mostly gone now due to a variety of factors including newfound industry recognition, the diligence of the management and support services in trying to build the best company they can, and continuous investment in collaborator happiness. Now that this is out of the way, I’ll start my review.

Although WIT Software is mostly known as a telecommunications software provider, it is also involved in other business areas including mobile banking and TV. For this reason the projects vary greatly in team size, methodology, technology and challenge level, and is almost always possible to find something that matches your expertise and personal preferences.

Among WIT’s clients are some of the world’s largest telecommunications operators. Working in projects for those clients can be quite satisfying as the software you develop has the potential of being used by thousands of their subscribers. Knowing your code is in the hands of thousands of people is one of the most rewarding feelings for a software developer. This feeling is fairly common at WIT.

Some reviews state that WIT Software uses dated technologies and avoids using more modern ones. This couldn't be further from the truth and a quick glance at the official website proves that WIT works substantially with bleeding edge technologies (WebRTC, for example) and other modern tools. I’ve never noticed any bias against modern technologies and my colleagues usually have an open mind and try to pick the best tool for the job. Project managers listen and let you adopt new technologies if the presented arguments are strong enough.

Just like in any other organisation, sometimes problems arise and you don’t feel happy or fulfilled performing your work. Fortunately WIT has a very capable, friendly and approachable HR department that will help you find a solution for your professional woes; you just have to approach them and explain the situation. If you’re not satisfied with your current project, they’ll help you find another. The company is very flexible in this regard. It might not happen right away, but it will happen as soon as possible. I’ve seen colleagues undergo this process and becoming happier for it.

The company's greatest strength is undoubtedly its culture and values. It's a very informal workplace where most people are skilled, friendly and willing to help. Everyone is approachable, even the CEO. Although it has become a relatively large company, it feels like a much smaller one due to this. People ride scooters around the offices, laughter echoes through the corridors during lunch time, people get together outside the workplace, etc. The overall atmosphere is great and sometimes it doesn't feel like work at all.

This spirit is ever present in the several events WIT Software organizes throughout the year. There's a company championship with multiple competitions like beach football and kart racing. WIT also organizes family-focused events including a "bring your child to work" day. If you're musically inclined you can even join WIT's band and perform for the rest of the company. These events are organised internally with much care and are always great fun!

The company also has a very strong sense of social responsibility. It organizes blood donations twice a year and works with local and international volunteer associations to help the impoverished. Helping our community matters; I can't stress enough how motivating and important this is.

During my first year in the company training was non-existent, but that is no longer the case. Right now we receive training provided by both external and internal teachers in a relatively wide array of technical subjects. After completing the training participants are asked to provide feedback that ends up being applied and improves the following sessions.

The company's offices are all top-notch and the new headquarters in Coimbra are particularly excellent. They model the Silicon Valley style offices with thematic rooms, ample work spaces, a beautiful terrace to enjoy the sun, and a colourful chill-out space with puffs, a billiard table, a DJ table and a console with FIFA. It doesn't get much better than this in Portugal.

The salary and benefits are competitive. Every reviewer here seems to agree at least on this point.

The best part? The company keeps getting better over time. Management cares and asks for your feedback. Most people are making a conscious effort towards making WIT Software the best company possible to work in. Sometimes there are missteps, but it is undoubtedly a much better company now than ever before.

Cons

WIT Software is a great place to work in, but, nevertheless, is not without its faults.

The company recently adopted the motto “creating a new mobile lifestyle,” but I have yet to see a project that truly gives that motto justice. Although many of WIT Software’s projects offer interesting challenges from a technical standpoint, very few of them are actually new and innovative from a user standpoint. Most are actually very derivative. This can be very disappointing for the most idealistic developers that wish to change the world with their code. If that’s your case, you won’t find what you’re looking for here (at least for now).

The fact that everyone at WIT Software is overworked and you’re only valued if you work overtime is complete fabrication. However, some projects have tight deadlines and sometimes the teams need to put a few extra hours. Although this doesn’t happen to every team and is becoming increasingly rare, it still happens every now and then.

Finally, it often feels like some managers don’t give performance review the importance and attention it deserves. I’ve never received a performance review by the time I was supposed to and when I finally received it it was too concise and didn’t provide enough useful information that I could act upon.

Top Tech Company in Portugal

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Personnel and a company with a long-term vision.

Cons

Some areas could use some improvement.

A Company with Strong Values

I have been working at WIT Software

Pros

I work at WIT Software and I do not agree at all with the "cons" stated in the review "Not exactly a dream" . I would clearly recommend the company to a friend; WIT is a benchmark company for some international Telco operators and has a great work atmosphere. If I felt like that, I would try to find another job.

Cons

For the moment, I have no "cons" at WIT; there are always some stressful situations, but they are overcome easily.

Arrogancy and slavery in a wannabe cool company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro that I've found is if you want to get some experience on certain field after you graduate. Even with that try to get a lot of information of the project before accepting.

Cons

When you have an CEO claiming that the company don't need money from banks and it's actually lending money to them and when the annual salary revision comes you get nothing, I don't need to say more.
    What you can expect:
    Lot of stressful work, mainly due bad management, even if the major employees are software engineering, don't expect to learn from example, you'll learn from what you shouldn't do.
    Lot of unpaid work in the after hours and even on weekends and holidays.
    An human resources policy that's all about to take you down, so you don't have the morale to ask for a raise.
    Expect to do your best and receive an negative evaluation, even if they can't explain you why or don't have any reason.
    Career management depends on your relationship with CEO and top management and involves a lot of flattering, otherwise expect to work five or more years with the same position and salary.
    You will see a lot of cool pictures with people having fun, you'll see that on some events on Saturday (yes Saturday) or when they need to take pictures.

Burn everything and start from the scratch. Almost everything is wrong, unless even the company profits matter.

Think twice about applying to this company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to be near your old colleagues of University of Coimbra.

Cons

This is the worst place to work in IT in Coimbra. You will be treated like a slave and your superiors will only complain about your performance. This happens to almost every single software engineer in this company. Everyone seems very unhappy and unsatisfied about their job. There's no social component involved between teams and superiors. You will be just a mere resource for getting things done for a low budget. You will never get honored for your hard work, you will only get complains and fights with your superiors.
    Don't expect to labor only 40 hours a week or to rest on weekends.
    Another cons about this company is that they try to copy major IT companies in terms of entertainment spaces to express to the outside how good and relaxed are the conditions offered. Well, that's only to show off. In fact you will barely benefit from anything there most of the time. The mood is heavy and everyone is very frustrated like I never saw in a company before.
    You will work with people completely unsocial, closed in their own space, that don't even know that you exist.

HR are too inexperienced and almost every product owner or project manager never did anything outside that line of comfort. They are too stuck in their own noses and think that they are always right. Try to listen to coworkers opinions and respect the classes below your hierarchy in this company.

Not exactly a dream

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very nice pay, new facilities, some effort (but not enough) to make the company modern and forward thinking, some market recognition...

WIT is a good place to start or stay if you wish to keep living in Leiria, Coimbra or Porto. Payment is very decent compared to the cost of living in those cities. Good for straight out of college people who wish to start a family right away...

If you're a girl, looks will help you! So dress nice and be nice!

Cons

WIT is mostly run by people straight out of Academia. It had a ver sketchy start with on of the least loved professors in UC ousting out his fellow partners and business associates out of WIT's management — this comes to show, that any opposing view to the current CEO is not only unwelcome but makes you a target.

If you check the resumes for most of the administrative team, you'll find that they lack the professional and academic background to develop the tasks at hand, Most people will then notice how this is a ship ran by amateurs following the voice of their leader. HR, Marketing, Procurement and Logistics are just a few examples of amateurism.

Some project leaders are very good while other pack the skills to even manage animals, let alone people. Some of them are personal friends to the CEO, so keep your views to yourself.

Overtime is expected to make you a good employee.

Deadlines and work loads are ridiculous. They have a big impact on bonuses.

Training is non-existent and remedial.

"Isenção de horário" is standard practise in the company, but screen as an excuse to make you do overtime for little payment. If by any means they cut you off this timetable, you should start looking for a new job because they will not renovate your contract.

It is also standard practise to put people in situations where they would rather fire themselves than finish the contract. Be cool, finish your contract and, if you're then let go and do not find another job, you'll still keep your benefits from unemployment.

Get a professional management team and let them do what they were hired to do.

Also, you're not some futuristic visionary leader... When you die, your company will crumble because you have not prepared it to go alone into the darkness. Listen to people. Be polite. Do not oust people.

You've hit the pick.... There's no where but down from here.

A great place to work

I have been working at WIT Software (more than 3 years)

Pros

-friendly environment
    -training opportunities
    -facilities
    -opportunities to have a technical career
    -career progression
    -teambuilding events
    -culture

Cons

-some projects have a duration too short

keep investing on:
    -your employees
    -opportunities to work with new clients and new projects