WJE Architects & Engineers

Be The First To
Add Photos

William J Nugent

Great Place to Work

Associate III (Current Employee)
Northbrook, IL

I have been working at WJE Architects & Engineers full-time for less than a year

ProsWell equipped with many analytical instruments, expertise and resources; Very knowledgeable and helpful colleagues to work with; Manager is direct, fair, hardworking and respectful, never micro-manages staff or watches out staff over shoulders.

ConsVery high target of chargeable rate; have to work extra hours (~55 hours per week) to meet the target.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower chargeable rate targets, allow more professional development time and nurture a more relaxing and encouraging working environment

Great company to work for with very good benefits.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at WJE Architects & Engineers full-time for more than a year

ProsYou work with an awesome group of people and become very close like family. Benefits are very good, especially during these harsh economical times. You get a very generous bonus at the end of the year. Holiday and summer parties are amazing. The best part is a snack closet stocked very month!

ConsEverything and everyone highly depends on the administrative team. The admin team pretty much babies the engineers and architects. Sometimes it feels like there isn't enough of admin people to take care of everyone's needs. My supervisor would contradict herself. She would say one thing but her actions say the opposite.

Great for engineers

I worked at WJE Architects & Engineers full-time

ProsVery nice people! Everyone is very friendly and genuine

ConsThough a top place to work for engineers, not much opportunity for non-engineers. Though this company is very work-life friendly- it is neigh impossible to meet performance standards while enjoying the benefits of flexible scheduling.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work if you aren't afraid of heights

Structural (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at WJE Architects & Engineers as an intern for less than a year

ProsInteresting Projects
Good knowledge within company

ConsCo-workers are cold
Dangerous work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let good talent slip away

Great place to work.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WJE Architects & Engineers full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to learn new skills and to gain confidence with construction consultation and forensic engineering. Exciting buildings and structures to work on. Ability to prove yourself.

ConsNot enough hours in the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a longer day.

Get To Know and Listen To The Employees

Associate II (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at WJE Architects & Engineers

ProsThere are some terrific people there, expertise wise and in terms of knowledge sharing across the various offices. The benefits were very good also.

ConsSimilar to other reviews, I think the management style seems very outdated. Office managers were for a long time chosen based on technical competence and not at all on management capability and there are many of those type of managers still in place. With all of the expertise present, it is amazing how much sharing is given to people outside of the company, because of fulfillment of a bonus requirement and not to their own people. From what I experienced, there is not a real team culture being fostered, in some offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think reviewing the current method of determining ones overall bonus score would be useful. Currently it is heavily weighted on items that do not foster a team culture or a mentoring culture. I believe in the not too distant past engineers used to be trained by the elders in a given company. This is essential for continued success.

I love working here!

ProsGreat benefits, very honest and ethical, culture of trust, people are awesome! They seem to genuinely care about their employees.

ConsLimited career advancement for non-billable staff. I'm a little bit unsettled by the management shakeups over the past 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with non-billable staff to come up with advancement opportunities. Clarify the process for becoming a shareholder.

Great place for innovation and professional growth

Associate II (Former Employee)

I worked at WJE Architects & Engineers full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to stick with in the long-run: family friendly, opportunities for continued ed & professional growth, etc.

ConsVery buddy-buddy and if you weren't a part of the 'inner circle' it could hurt you in the long run.

Neat work, but career advancement tough if you don't already have a niche

I worked at WJE Architects & Engineers

ProsI had the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects involving repair design, failure analysis, and forensics. I had a tremendous amount of respect for the engineers I worked with.

ConsThe projects generally involved a dispute, which can involve a bit of stress with the clients - such is life with this business. The business, in general, requires a good deal of responsiveness to client needs (read: night and weekend work). Weekly hours ranged from 40 to 80, with an average of 45 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirms that focus on forensics, such as WJE, have a tough time developing young engineers because projects are generally one-off, and clients often require the involvement of principals. Litigation support work is particularly bad for this. Some principals do not delegate as a result.

Good expertise... poor upper-corporate management

I worked at WJE Architects & Engineers

ProsDiverse variety of projects; unsurpassed expertise; great testing lab facilities; opportunity to travel and work for other branches throughout the country; unmatched opportunities for professional development and prestige; excellent benefits package.

ConsAntiquated management style: emphasis still on the Midwestern White Male as a management model.
Highly competitive environment overshadows collaboration.
Middle-level employees are often passed out for Senior promotions.
Women are undervalued and phased out: no support or encouragement to promote women and/or diversified employees in upper leadership roles (i.e., no female or "minority" Senior Principals yet); no support for women in part-time positions who are mothers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay particular attention on promoting leadership to middle-level staff to higher, Principal positions, and added management responsibilities; promote women and "minorities" into Senior Principal positions; change the image of a Midwestern White Male Twenty-Century company into a forward-looking Twenty-First Century Diverse enterprise.

Worked for WJE Architects & Engineers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WJE Architects & Engineers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WJE Architects & Engineers CEO William J Nugent. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by WJE Architects & Engineers employees.