WMS Gaming

www.wms.com

WMS Gaming Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

David L. Kennedy

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Pay is comparable to industry standards(in 6 reviews)

• Had great benefits, very, very laid back work environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management is doing its best to turn a fun place to work into a world of drudgery and uninteresting business-style development(in 4 reviews)

• Resources in game development are stretched very thin(in 3 reviews)

Successful Summer Internship

Associate Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsReally cool vibe. The intern program was fantastic. There were plenty of networking events to go along with our day to day work. We also got to present on our projects at the end of the internship. I learned a lot.

ConsUnclear of direction due to merger with Scientific Games

It was definitely a go, go, go experience.

Senior Networked Gaming Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery autonomous, little to no managerial interference
    Loose atmosphere, very laid back and friendly
    Management open to new ideas

ConsFor my job, it was 50% travel
    Since they're a manufacturing company, they're directly affected by any economic downturns

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money wisely and take advantage of all opportunities to save money.
    Help the regulatory agencies to embrace new technologies (i.e. virtualization)
    Always keep innovating and keep the engineers at the forefront of new innovations.

I enjoyed my time at WMS.

Director (Former Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsThe people that you will work with are smart and try their best.

ConsManagement is over bearing and they don't let people make their own decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people make their own decisions - not everything needs to go all the way to the top.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to begin

Associate Producer Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTalented team of engineers and artists, utterly friendly bunch of coworkers, communicative upper management staff, utmost friendly work environment, in house cafeteria with free unlimited soda. State of the art facility.

ConsTo be very honest, none

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do an excellent job and you will keep growing bigger! RL,SS, SR & JC are an invaluable asset to the organization from a management perspective

Company can be awesome too many leaders with no leadership in Product Assurance

Principal Test Engineer I (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsBenefit great and through recession we are still holding on

ConsManagers and Leads have no skill set, no training, just friends of friends this will ruin company. new CTO need to reorganize PD

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

/N EXCITING AND PROGRESSIVE PLACE TO WORK

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waukegan, IL

Prosaggressively embraces innovation and quick to change.

ConsMajor tactical decisions are principally based on financial data to be reported publically each quarter.

Advice to Senior ManagementALL the executive need to really believe in and practice the business values that Brian G lives and operates by.

Top-heavy, disorganized, technologically behind company

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros* Flexible PTO.
    * Decent benefits.

Cons* Way too much middle management. Most do not have engineering backgrounds.
    * Poor communication among disciplines. Various groups are stand-offish with each other since no one talks directly enough (ie: it's always through managers).
    * Development environment is a travesty. The tools and libraries are very ancient. There's never a concerted effort to pay down technological debt.
    * Upper management seems to genuinely want to improve the work environment. Unfortunately, they only seem to communicate with middle-management and not the people who actually develop.
    * Unqualified people are promoted way too often. The Peter Principle is in full play.

Advice to Senior Management* Trim the fat. There's too much middle management.
    * Similarly to the first point, people who are clearly unqualified need to be let go.
    * Rigorously screen people during interviews. If you want the best, then demand it. Also, the salaries *and* the work environment need to be attractive. The second point is quite important. If a good applicant realizes the you resist process improvement and use outdated tools, they're going to look elsewhere for a job.
    * For software engineering, people need to be allocated for cleaning up code and researching process improvements. The current mindset seems to be that an employee must always be working on a game. However, no one actively works on improving the process or ensuring the developers can iterate quickly.

A fantastic company to work for

Contractor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWMS offers a friendly, relaxed environment for all employees. They take the "work hard, play hard" motto to heart with a lot of great perks for their employees, including a willingness to assist employees that have gone through hardships in their lives such as floods, tornadoes, and fire. The atmosphere is young and modern, making it a fantastic place to work for people under 40. Compensation is generally market value and the company is constantly striving to make itself better. The Chicago campus is amazing with the newest technology, in-house cafe that serves good food, a modern gym, and several gaming systems for breaks.

ConsAs with most major companies, WMS has issues with fully embracing change that will improve their products/operations and management tends to fall back on the older ways of doing things because that is what they are familiar with. Contractors, while treated well overall, are not invited to most company events, which can create a division between contractors and employees in certain departments. Many departments play the blame-game, shifting responsibility for failures onto other departments or even worse, refusing to fix the problems that have been pointed out and will result in product failure in testing.

CEO cares for employees. A place where you are empowered and valued.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany empowers employees to take action. Leaders listen to employees and act on their feedback. Very great work benefits and environment. People are generally respectful and talented.

ConsWorkload can be intense at times. Not everything is perfect but company works to consistently improve.

Great company, but management is terrible

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company is great. They care about your fitness. They have a great cafeteria. They generally want you to be happy.

ConsThere are way too many managers. I'm not kidding. There will sometimes be 5-10 developers to a project and 30 managers. Not a lot of work or innovation ever gets through.

Worked for WMS Gaming? Contribute to the Community!