www.wms.com

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.4

Gavin Isaacs

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Pay is comparable to industry standards (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was exceptionally tailored to the employee in most cases (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development (in 5 reviews)

• They don't care they will let you go at anytime as long as these greedy upper management make their millions (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Supportive Management

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

Management worked with me to expand experiences and knowledge outside of the standard job description. Very good work/life balance with a standard 8 hour work day for the most part. Great. Benefits.

Cons

Harsh working environment where coworkers would rather bring up issues in large meetings rather than try to speak with you one on one first.

Good place to work.

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible company with plenty of room to grow. Very friendly environment to be a part of. Good compensation for the line of work you do.

Cons

There is little to no communication passed down from management. This company has recently been acquired, thus affecting employee morale. Pay attention to your employees who are helping this business be successful!!

Start paying closer attention to your employees as they are the individuals who are helping make the business a success.

Used to be a great company, headed downhill fast.

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great team members and laid back dress code.

Cons

New management is moving away from caring about employees, reduced benefits-increased work level.

Employees are people too.

WMS exists in name only as the company was acquired by Scientific Games and is a very different company.

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Empolyees are very hard wording and had a common goal to help the company succeed. Benefits are ok but used to be better.

Cons

Company once prided itself on being an "Employer of Choice" and after the acquisition, you can feel it was no longer the case. Career Development is pretty much non-existent as it based on nepotism as I have never seen before (its not what you know but who you know).

Good place to work as intern

Current Intern - Associate Test Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Associate Test Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work culture. Testing team manager Tim is very friendly.

Cons

No H1B sponsor.
    Less pay.
    Sometimes bad people are there everywhere

Nothing

Was a great company with the previous leadership.

Current Employee - Product Development and Commercialization in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development and Commercialization in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good here, comparable to other companies. You are exposed to many interesting products at the Chicago campus. In addition, the people that work here are innovative and team based. Great working conditions at the chicago office.

Cons

The new leadership has caused growing pains within the company ever since being bought out by Scientific Games. The previous executive committee has gone and so did the great values and culture they brought into WMS. The opportunity for promotions in the workplace is minimal at this point due to not meeting sales goals and budgeting from the parent company.

Try to emulate what the previous leadership did for the employees of WMS. They valued their employees highly and made sure that was shown. The basis of WMS products is innovation, so we need to continue that path to stay successful as the company develops into its mergers.

Never a dull moment in a technology-driven industry fueled by addiction.

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

PTO and benefits are good. Work-life balance is high. Perks like ping pong and a gym. Hours are great. No heavy crunch times if you're diligent and can self-manage.

Cons

Hard to trust upper management. Risk-averse. Afraid to fail. Metrics for everything. After 10 years salary has climbed to "above average." Decisions are made by a committee. Doesn't feel creative or fun even though this is a game company. Chasing our competitors and the market. Imitating. Building things we don't know how to build.

In creative companies content is king. Leverage it. Champion it. Take chances and set trends. Learn to fail. Figure out what your good at. Base growth off known strengths and move forward. Why do I feel pressure to make everyone besides me happy? I've worked at other creative jobs before. And why do I feel like I'm getting ripped off in the lunch line?

WMS Gaming

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy Going Env't, Nice Break rooms,

Cons

Bad Leadership, Was fun at one point

Terribly bad leadership

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are still some good people at WMS and not all groups are bad.
    Some groups know what they are doing but they sit at odds with much of the rest of the company.

Cons

When WMS was swallowed up by SciGames which was losing lots of money every quarter, WMS went from a profitable company that rewarded their employees to one that’s big in the RED.

Benefits slashed
    Reduced: 401k matching, amounts people can get for promotions/raises, medical and other benefits.
    Reduced holidays/PTO
    New hires have very little opportunity for advancement now and missed out on the days when you could get a nice salary bump every year.

Management slashed/dysfunctional
    So much of the management was gutted that the void was filled with people who have no idea what they are doing.
    Engineers write really bad code and it’s applauded as if it was gold.
    Managers push really bad ideas and nobody squashes them.
    Moving from a FREE revision control system that is heavily ingrained to a really expensive one nobody knows how to use? Great idea!
    Let’s spend countless hours in meetings discussing things that don’t matter to anyone.
    Let’s kick off projects, but walk away from them before they fail and take all the glory for the idea but none of the blame when it turns out to have caused the company to lose a lot of money.
    Let’s be the cause a huge disruption, then turn around and become the self-declared champion to fix it.

Work ethic at an all-time low
    People are in constant fear of another synergy/layoff, which seems to happen about every 3 months.
    Game Development culture feels like a chicken running around with its head cut off: We don’t know what we want, but we want you to get it done yesterday. So that idea I can’t fully explain to you, just get it done!
    Frequent shifting of priorities with no clear path forward. The pattern is: Wreck a project, then kill it.
    Don’t expect any professional development process (Waterfall, SCRUM, etc). Development process is an amateurish Code and Fix.
    Want to bring order to chaos by rolling out some professional policies and procedures? People have tried but they end up fired. They lose to the argument that people are “too busy” for process. In fact, most people in charge never even worked somewhere to learn what a good process even is.

If you want to turn this company around, hire some people from outside who have real experience and give them the power to make some changes. Hopefully there are some managers at Bally who will figure out who knows what they are doing at WMS and those who don't.

Complete Trainwreck Since SG Acquisition

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None of the paychecks have bounced yet!

But seriously, WMS used to be a fantastic company to work for. Good benefits. Good co-workers. Good environment. This has since changed 180 degrees.

Cons

Since the SG acquisition, the company has COMPLETELY changed, and it is a total disaster now. Management does not communicate at ALL with the regular employees. When one of the many "interim" CEOs took over and was asked if he should send an email to all employees to introduce himself, his response was "why would I want to do that?"

Prior to the acquisition announcement, WMS on its own was making EARNINGS to report to Wall St every quarter, despite a SECULAR DECLINE in the gaming industry. The numbers weren't blowing anyone out of the water, but they were stable and consistent.

Now that Scientific Games has taken over in a leveraged buy-out, the added interest payments on the debt taken out to acquire WMS has turned it into an UNPROFITABLE entity. (Also utter and complete mis-management from the top has also been a large contributing factor.) The debt payments are an albatross that we will never be able to get out from under. Taking on EVEN MORE DEBT with the Bally Tech acquisition is probably going to fail. Everybody internally knows it. I think it will be funny when Wall St finally figures it out too. In the mean-time, party on Garth, and let the stock ride up while the top brass cash in on stock options and pull the rip-cords on golden parachutes.

All the employees see the writing on the wall, and work ethic has seriously suffered. I honestly miss the days when I would come into work, contribute to developing great products, hear encouragement from management, and help the company earn money. Those days are long gone, and are never coming back.

Enjoy it while it lasts! Hahah.