WMS Gaming Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
111 reviews filtered by
2.6
Gavin Isaacs

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Pay is comparable to industry standards (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was exceptionally tailored to the employee in most cases (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development (in 5 reviews)

• They don't care they will let you go at anytime as long as these greedy upper management make their millions (in 5 reviews)

1. Cultural Challenged

I worked at WMS Gaming

Pros

Benefits are among best in industry

Cons

Management culture is highly political, poorly motivated, and looking out for themselves only.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves - Lochiatto regime.

What a waste of time

Current Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, cafe in building, games, free soda...ummm thats about it

Cons

Where do I begin - sr management is definitely NOT transparent. They kept so many secrets from us hard workers specially when layoffs happen. We didn't receive bonuses either...management "claims" they didn't receive one either. I find that hard to believe. If you're looking to work here - DON'T. They're still laying off folks. Remember they bought a competitor so roles are overlapping left and right. Avoid this place at all costs. It sucks here and I'm trying to get out ASAP! Morale is down the crapper! Sigh, wouldn't be surprised if everyone packed up and moved to Vegas. Offices are closing left and right.

Advice to Management

Open up a bit, get your head out of the clouds. Come off from behind closed doors - have open door policies! Open communication. Get to know your employees - stop giving non-managers offices!!! There's 2 there that don't deserve them. Make them sit in cubes where they belong!

Power Dive (emplyoee approval rating)

Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at WMS everyone there seemed so content. There were initiatives to broaden yourself and learn new things. The company had scored consecutive listings as one of the best places in Chicago to work. Brian Gamache the former ceo had a reputation for listening to his employees. They built a new building that is a pretty nice place to go to work and the cafeteria was really nice.

Cons

...Then the merger with SG was brokered in 2013 and everything went south. Musical chairs in the top offices and the fear and paranoia began. Many, if not most of the people in my department confided fearing for their job to me. Supervisors began watching their backs and at a middle management level there was a lot of jockeying for position. In the 2+ years that I was there I received no raises, not even cost of living raises. I busted my butt to be exactly what they needed, but during reviews I was told that raises were next to impossible to come by. I thought that this was just my own deal, but the more people I talked to offline seemed to confirm my suspicion that the company likes to give average reviews so that they can justify giving no raises. If you want a promotion you need to basically threaten to leave, otherwise there are numerous "bands" to climb, and I was unsuccessful at even moving up one level.

Advice to Management

Is anyone over there looking at the company rating trends on Glassdoor? Take a look for yourself... Power dive! This is because you've had wave after wave of lay offs. Can the people that remain feel good about their positions? (I'm referring to the people who are still there, not growing crowd of people that have been laid off by you). Gavin Isaacs is such a dreadful person. It was always amusing to see an auditorium full of WMS employees rolling their eyes at every other phrase out of his mouth during his "speaker phoned-in" townhalls. Everyone really misses Gamache, he was ten times the leader.

5. Worst Unprofessional company to work with! Never join...!

Former Employee - SSE in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - SSE in Pune (India)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time

Pros

Leave policy is ok
    Pay is just ok , Variable pay is joke. You won't get it most of the time
    Lab facility is good
    Open internet but slow connection
    HR is good, but doesn't have enough courage to deal with management

Cons

Very Bad Culture , Master/Slave architecture like mechanical industry
    Management behave like they invented the Gaming machines and technology but they dont know much about it
    No trust on employees .
    Micro management from all of your supervisors. (you will be asked status from your immediate supervisor till the top)
    No job security , anytime you will be fired even if you are a high performer
    Management never admit /accept their mistakes if it happens at their end, always blame people.
    Stupid Indian management , not thinking of any new ideas and plans to improve the products. Instead focus only on cost cutting.
    Unrealistic & unpractical expectations on people
    No proper planning on project schedules
    No work life balance , you will be always spending time on office including week ends
    Partiality is clearly visible , you need to be pet to the top management to get good appraisal ratings and even to keep your job safe.
    Management is publicaly announcing " Recruit people whom you can work with, rather than how the people are talented" , this is one of the example how the management will behave if they dont like you.
    I have seen many talented resources selected in the interview panel , and those are rejected by management simply because they don't like it
    HR clearly knew about everything , they aren't fighting , keeping silent...they want to be on safer side.

Advice to Management

Bring the good top management who is good in Technical and in management.
    Focus on how to improve the product scopes and think how to utilize the resources efficiently rather than cost cutting,
    Recognize the people's work , do not be partial , Be professional to employees
    Treat them like humans and be friendly .
    Stop micro management , and trust employees . People are self responsible and they know what need to be done.
    Do well planning , and don't push unrealistic schedules to people.
    WMS is acquired by SG , and this is the time to proof and bring the lot of innovations/good products.
    Bring this sense to employees and see how wonder happens.

6. Biggest corporate nosedive in history, all thanks to one guy.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff are awesome to work with. So much talent in so many offices around the world. Remuneration is good.

Cons

Top heavy company with upper management who are clueless. More VP’s and Directors than people who actually do the work. Management will say one thing and do the complete opposite, moral is so low I can’t wait to find a new job. It’s gone from the best company to the worst because of the appointment of a certain VP who wormed his way into the position. SG takeover was the last straw because they failed to abolish the ‘good ol boys’ club. Beware of working for this company, you will not learn anything new and you will be stuck with methodologies that existed in the pinball days. A real embarrassment, a real shame.

Advice to Management

Offering advice is pointless, SG have been told many times by many people the real problem however they failed to address it. Maybe one day the ‘good ol boys’ will be gone and we can achieve greatness once again.

Terribly bad leadership

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still some good people at WMS and not all groups are bad.
    Some groups know what they are doing but they sit at odds with much of the rest of the company.

Cons

When WMS was swallowed up by SciGames which was losing lots of money every quarter, WMS went from a profitable company that rewarded their employees to one that’s big in the RED.

Benefits slashed
    Reduced: 401k matching, amounts people can get for promotions/raises, medical and other benefits.
    Reduced holidays/PTO
    New hires have very little opportunity for advancement now and missed out on the days when you could get a nice salary bump every year.

Management slashed/dysfunctional
    So much of the management was gutted that the void was filled with people who have no idea what they are doing.
    Engineers write really bad code and it’s applauded as if it was gold.
    Managers push really bad ideas and nobody squashes them.
    Moving from a FREE revision control system that is heavily ingrained to a really expensive one nobody knows how to use? Great idea!
    Let’s spend countless hours in meetings discussing things that don’t matter to anyone.
    Let’s kick off projects, but walk away from them before they fail and take all the glory for the idea but none of the blame when it turns out to have caused the company to lose a lot of money.
    Let’s be the cause a huge disruption, then turn around and become the self-declared champion to fix it.

Work ethic at an all-time low
    People are in constant fear of another synergy/layoff, which seems to happen about every 3 months.
    Game Development culture feels like a chicken running around with its head cut off: We don’t know what we want, but we want you to get it done yesterday. So that idea I can’t fully explain to you, just get it done!
    Frequent shifting of priorities with no clear path forward. The pattern is: Wreck a project, then kill it.
    Don’t expect any professional development process (Waterfall, SCRUM, etc). Development process is an amateurish Code and Fix.
    Want to bring order to chaos by rolling out some professional policies and procedures? People have tried but they end up fired. They lose to the argument that people are “too busy” for process. In fact, most people in charge never even worked somewhere to learn what a good process even is.

Advice to Management

If you want to turn this company around, hire some people from outside who have real experience and give them the power to make some changes. Hopefully there are some managers at Bally who will figure out who knows what they are doing at WMS and those who don't.

Complete Trainwreck Since SG Acquisition

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None of the paychecks have bounced yet!

But seriously, WMS used to be a fantastic company to work for. Good benefits. Good co-workers. Good environment. This has since changed 180 degrees.

Cons

Since the SG acquisition, the company has COMPLETELY changed, and it is a total disaster now. Management does not communicate at ALL with the regular employees. When one of the many "interim" CEOs took over and was asked if he should send an email to all employees to introduce himself, his response was "why would I want to do that?"

Prior to the acquisition announcement, WMS on its own was making EARNINGS to report to Wall St every quarter, despite a SECULAR DECLINE in the gaming industry. The numbers weren't blowing anyone out of the water, but they were stable and consistent.

Now that Scientific Games has taken over in a leveraged buy-out, the added interest payments on the debt taken out to acquire WMS has turned it into an UNPROFITABLE entity. (Also utter and complete mis-management from the top has also been a large contributing factor.) The debt payments are an albatross that we will never be able to get out from under. Taking on EVEN MORE DEBT with the Bally Tech acquisition is probably going to fail. Everybody internally knows it. I think it will be funny when Wall St finally figures it out too. In the mean-time, party on Garth, and let the stock ride up while the top brass cash in on stock options and pull the rip-cords on golden parachutes.

All the employees see the writing on the wall, and work ethic has seriously suffered. I honestly miss the days when I would come into work, contribute to developing great products, hear encouragement from management, and help the company earn money. Those days are long gone, and are never coming back.

Advice to Management

Enjoy it while it lasts! Hahah.

Once the best, now falling like a stone.

Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- State of the art facilities
    - Excellent cafeteria
    - Talented coworkers

Cons

- Location is difficult to get to; no easily accessible public transportation.
    - Morale is at near zero. There has been intense pressure to hit quarterly numbers, with veiled threats about the looming next round of layoffs. The general mood seems to be that nothing we do will matter in the end anyway.
    - Significant feeling of betrayal: SG's acquisition of Bally only a few months after WMS has appeared particularly suspect given the new CEO's close ties to that company, and the curiously high price per share paid to acquire it.
    - Benefits and perks slashed: "Thank You Days", extra holidays, we're eliminated. Bonuses were changed to put more emphasis on overall company performance than individual performance. Cafeteria costs rose as the company subsidy was cut (or eliminated, don't know for sure). Benefits were cut *significantly*.
    - Totally rudderless management: roadmaps change monthly, miscommunication runs rampant. Priorities seem to be shifted weekly.
    - Zero training budget: And I mean ZERO. Transitioning to an extremely complex new tool? Hope you can figure it out on your own. New hires don't even get a tour of the facilities any more.
    - Poor processes: Company pretends to do Agile development when in fact it is utterly ad-hoc chaos disguised with some Agile buzzwords. Documentation for software frameworks and tools is totally nonexistent, or worse, outdated and incorrect. Culture of diffusion of responsibility means that nobody ends up being responsible for anything, resulting in a horrific mismatch of pet design patterns, scripting languages, and API conventions.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure this company can be saved at this point. You are essentially gutting everything that made me want to work here in the first place.

Once a great company until corporate greed set foot in the door!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice new building. Some employees are good to work with.

Cons

Ever since the two mergers so far, the company is nothing more but a downfall. The company is turning into a corporate greed company. Now it's all about money money money $$$. Almost all my friends were laid off so far and more is it's way so the company saves money. Upper and Top Management don't know anything about games. Most have high school degrees!!!! and make millions of dollars a year watching the real hard workers such as, Programmers, designers, artist do all the hard labor. The Upper managements gets all the money while the middle workers get nothing more but peanut shell scraps. We all know why they got their positions. Just look at their last names (ethnic religious). They don't care they will let you go at anytime as long as these greedy upper management make their millions. You work for them as servants and they make all the money doing basically nothing , and you end up working the hardest.

Advice to Management

Most are highly uneducated with high school degrees and make millions of dollars a year watching others do all the dirty work for them. They know nothing about games or the history of games. The only reasons why they were hired in the first place is because of their last names (ethnic religious) connection. As for the greedy Ron Perelman who owns about 40% of the company. The reason why he helped buy the company is because he wasn't making enough billions of dollars a year. Greedy, greedy, greedy rich snob. I think all the Top Management should be fired!!! They are wasting money and they don't know anything about games. They hire hard workers to do all the work for them while they sit in their luxuriant offices and get paid millions of dollars with their high school degrees.

Once a great place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time

Pros

This company had a great culture but it is being sucked away slowly by Scientific Games, the company that bought them out.

Cons

Management is totally disconnected. Lack of communication. Most of the people on the SG side are uninspiring. They love having meetings but there's really no improvement.

Advice to Management

Let the professionals make decisions instead of stagnating everything by having a meeting about it. Stop taking away benefits, it's why WMS was successful and profitable.