WMS Industries

More reactive than proactive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsPretty good benefits package
    Decent time off policy
    Fair to good overall compensation package
    Promote continuing/further education

ConsPoor communication
    Too man chiefs, and not enough indians
    Lacking in overall leadership/direction of company
    Putting out different fires everyday
    union workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control and give direction. The overall direction of the company seems to be changing on a nearly monthly basis. We need to take the time to properly analize our sub tier suppliers abilities before making firm commitments. Also, we need less single sourcing.

Not All that it Seems from Outside

Vice President Ops (Former Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsGood product, loyal service workforce

ConsExecutive leadership, politics, non strategic thinking

Advice to Senior ManagementThink long term, rid yourself of WMS Sr Leadership (they drove it into the ground).

Culture of Paranoia

Director (Former Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsCool technology in a unique industry - and a pretty different office setting surrounded by artists, musicians, developers which offers great diversity.

ConsSlow to adopt/accept change or ideas from elsewhere. Highly political atmosphere with clear favorites. Great place to work if you're an engineer, but if you're looking for a professional environment - this isn't it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome down a few thousand feet to see what employees are thinking/feeling/needing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What once was...

Operations (Current Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsOpportunities to try and fix the many things wrong. They do offer competitive benefits outside of salary. Potential growth in the business.

ConsNo career management or growth opportunities in majority of the areas in the company. Employees are stretched very thin and over burdened.

With nearly 40 years of service in WMS, it's no wonder this company is so good.

Senior Tester (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStability for nearly 40 years. Positive and very creative culture, one of innovation, imagination and relational.

ConsAdvancements can be a little difficult if you're not properly positioned within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFairness reaps loyalty.

WMS needs to get the whole company moving in the same direction.

Project Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInnovative, Creative, Bleeding edge, employee appreciatation cookies, good benefits, on-site gym, very smart people willing to take sensible risks, willing to provide the proper training/education.

ConsEvery three to five years they have massive lay-offs, 10%+ of the work force. Poor communication from the top manage down to the worker bees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management needs to communicate the business strategy to everyone in the organization. You would get many answers to the question "What is the direction of the company?" The direction of the company seems to change every quarter.

Solid company with growth potential - bring your 'A' game.

ProsChallenging and stimulating environment
    Room to grow as a person, but you must take it if you want it
    Solid company with growth potential
    Management team is active in making adjustments quickly
    Gym with showers on site along with fitness trainers should you want to participate

ConsSome projects are poorly planned/managed
    Departments need better communication
    Sick days and vacation are managed as one pool of PTO.

This company is going places..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work space, cool people, very cool products. WMS is on the cutting edge of the casino gaming industry and the people who work there are zealots about putting out innovative games.

ConsIn my opinion, the pay is a little low. WMS is making LOTS of money and I'm not seeing that trickle down to some of the folks in the trenches who are actually making the games. I think that the bonuses are pretty weak as well. It's pretty apparent that the sales people and those in Game Dev are the favored children.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I think the management teams are doing a fairly decent job. I would like to see some of the red tape and politics shaved down a bit. Also, the aforementioned, sharing of the wealth would be nice change of pace. It's a great place to work though and by and large I think the managers are good people.

Worked for WMS Industries? Contribute to the Community!