WNYC Radio Reviews

Reset
3.6
Laura Walker

1. Intern

I worked at WNYC Radio (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn more about radio and actually work on production.

Cons

Pay was very low, $12 stipend/week and did not provide many opportunities for continuing wihthe company after internship

Advice to Management

Take interns seriously for their input as young audience.

2. Amazing internship

Current Employee - Internship in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Internship in New York, NY

I have been working at WNYC Radio (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super laid back, very creative, very engaging and caring.

Cons

A lot of turnover, but that could just be the nature of media-- everyone is trying to go to the next cool thing

Advice to Management

Have more structured internship programs

3. Best internship I had

I worked at WNYC Radio

Pros

Most internships I held through college consisted solely of busy work. At WNYC I actually contributed to the show, and was able to get hands-on experience, and contribute.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say after my experience at WNYC.

Advice to Management

I don't know the current state of the WNYC internship program, since it was several years ago, and my position was one of many. But, I would say to keep it up, since, in my experience, it's so rare to find rewarding internships.

5. Great Experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at WNYC Radio as an intern

Pros

- Great insight into how a radio program comes to life - Good company culture - Consistent work

Cons

- Lack of salary (could need financial backing to do internship) - More story based work - More focus on the technical parts of the job

Advice to Management

Try to have a sharper internship focus. Substantive work building us to a future in radio programming should be central to the the program.

6. Intern

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at WNYC Radio as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people -- friendly, smart, engaging, interesting. Very interesting work and very interesting subjects. Looks great on your resume coming out of college or if you're early in your career. Work conditions are flexible, and you are given real work to do, unlike many internships where you are given the menial tasks nobody else wants to do.

Cons

It's public radio, but even given that, compensation for interns could be better. There are other non-profits that pay interns more. (But there are for-profits that pay less.) There is surprisingly little exchange between workers -- less of an air of collegiality than I expected. Management is poor. WNYC counts on workers being driven by a commitment to pubic radio.

Advice to Management

Work on incentives for workers that aren't just "this is public radio." Foster more exchange between people.

Hypocrites who squeeze out as much labor as they can from you before leaving you high and dry

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at WNYC Radio as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by smart people, working on interesting stories, nice office space with panoramic views of the city, the cachet of public radio,

Cons

I worked incredibly hard and they let me go so that they wouldn't have to give me benefits. This is how WNYC operates-- have as few salaried employees as possible and rely on the labor of a huge pool of underpaid, no-benefit per diems. It should be illegal to operate in this way. And it is especially hypocritical coming from WNYC, which does a fair amount of reporting on labor. I don't know how management sleeps at night.

Advice to Management

Please rethink the way you treat your per diems.

Smart people - Limited Opportunity

Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at WNYC Radio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are smart and interesting with robust outside interests. Everyone reads, everyone is up on culture, museums, TV, movies. Colleagues are absolutely lovely. It's a mission-driven place, so people are passionate about what they do. The majority of people are truly outstanding at their jobs - the best in the country, really. And they take work/life balance seriously. I don't have children, but lots of people have kids and leave to pick them up from daycare, etc., without it being an issue. It's a warm (though sometimes sneakily competitive and a little office-politiky) place to work.

Cons

The toughest thing is that management on all levels is very risk-adverse. They don't try new things or give people new opportunities. It's a place that's perpetually short-staffed and so relies heavily on per diem employees, who are often stressed and resentful. Except for a few golden-child favorites who are heavily championed, they won't let employees stretch or try new things - they want to keep everything as it is as long as its working. I see this especially hitting my younger colleagues, who want richer sorts of experiences. They're denied them, because low-level management worries that they won't get their work done (even in cases when it's clear that they absolutely would). I've also seen many, many cases where low level management takes credit for others's ideas. I've worked at many stations - this is probably the worst set of managers of people I've ever seen on a low level. In good news, though, upper management is great, and responsive.

Advice to Management

Please trust your workers more, and give everyone more opportunities to stretch and grow. Don't let low-management people chastise workers in public; save those conversations for private meetings. What everyone says is that if you want to get ahead at WNYC, you either need a strong champion, a job offer from somewhere prestigious, or to go away and come back. Except for those golden children, it doesn't really seem like talent is valued.

9. Internship at WNYC

I have been working at WNYC Radio part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Experience - If you want to work as a producer, interning is the way in.

Cons

Very little pay - it's difficult to work as an intern with WNYC unless you have someone else supporting you financially.

10. An enjoyable place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Producer in New York, NY

I worked at WNYC Radio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great work environment.

Cons

Hard to move up without someone quitting...and even then, not easy.

11. Saw a lot of change, things seem to be getting exciting

Former Contractor - Freelance Archivist in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Freelance Archivist in New York, NY

I worked at WNYC Radio as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great to see radio personalities walking the halls, good benefits, strong union presence, incredibly interesting material to work with

Cons

Not much room for advancement within a department, as a temp employee had numerous issues getting paycheck, took forever just to get an employee ID, some lack of communication between departments

RSS Feed </> Embed