WNYC Radio

www.wnyc.org

WNYC Radio Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
WNYC Radio – New York – “The Greene Space”

WNYC Radio – New York – “The Greene Space”

Laura Walker

Internship at WNYC

ProsGreat Experience - If you want to work as a producer, interning is the way in.

ConsVery little pay - it's difficult to work as an intern with WNYC unless you have someone else supporting you financially.

Hypocrites who squeeze out as much labor as they can from you before leaving you high and dry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSurrounded by smart people, working on interesting stories, nice office space with panoramic views of the city, the cachet of public radio,

ConsI worked incredibly hard and they let me go so that they wouldn't have to give me benefits. This is how WNYC operates-- have as few salaried employees as possible and rely on the labor of a huge pool of underpaid, no-benefit per diems. It should be illegal to operate in this way. And it is especially hypocritical coming from WNYC, which does a fair amount of reporting on labor. I don't know how management sleeps at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease rethink the way you treat your per diems.

Smart people - Limited Opportunity

Producer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCoworkers are smart and interesting with robust outside interests. Everyone reads, everyone is up on culture, museums, TV, movies. Colleagues are absolutely lovely. It's a mission-driven place, so people are passionate about what they do. The majority of people are truly outstanding at their jobs - the best in the country, really. And they take work/life balance seriously. I don't have children, but lots of people have kids and leave to pick them up from daycare, etc., without it being an issue. It's a warm (though sometimes sneakily competitive and a little office-politiky) place to work.

ConsThe toughest thing is that management on all levels is very risk-adverse. They don't try new things or give people new opportunities. It's a place that's perpetually short-staffed and so relies heavily on per diem employees, who are often stressed and resentful. Except for a few golden-child favorites who are heavily championed, they won't let employees stretch or try new things - they want to keep everything as it is as long as its working. I see this especially hitting my younger colleagues, who want richer sorts of experiences. They're denied them, because low-level management worries that they won't get their work done (even in cases when it's clear that they absolutely would). I've also seen many, many cases where low level management takes credit for others's ideas. I've worked at many stations - this is probably the worst set of managers of people I've ever seen on a low level. In good news, though, upper management is great, and responsive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease trust your workers more, and give everyone more opportunities to stretch and grow. Don't let low-management people chastise workers in public; save those conversations for private meetings. What everyone says is that if you want to get ahead at WNYC, you either need a strong champion, a job offer from somewhere prestigious, or to go away and come back. Except for those golden children, it doesn't really seem like talent is valued.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An enjoyable place to work.

Assistant Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people. Great work environment.

ConsHard to move up without someone quitting...and even then, not easy.

Saw a lot of change, things seem to be getting exciting

Freelance Archivist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat to see radio personalities walking the halls, good benefits, strong union presence, incredibly interesting material to work with

ConsNot much room for advancement within a department, as a temp employee had numerous issues getting paycheck, took forever just to get an employee ID, some lack of communication between departments

Disorganized

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible hours. Good location. Good facilities.

ConsManagement are temperamental and lack direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire middle management. Start over.

Tough, but good

Producer (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent opportunity to network in public radio at one of the largest and most productive stations in the country. Terrific coworkers and office culture. These are definitely some of the smartest and most hardworking people in radio.

ConsReally difficult to get in the door here...literally and figuratively. Interns are expected to put in nearly full-time hours for no pay...not exactly ethical, but standard in this line of work, unfortunately. Per diem employees can only work a certain number of hours per year before they're scrapped. For certain teams, software/hardware at workstations are in serious need of upgrades, while others seem to be swimming in cash and resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the per diem model, period-you're wasting a lot of talent by not retaining people or treating them the same as everyone else in the building. Spread resources more evenly between shows and departments.

Great Location, Building and People.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAssuming your not in management it is a union job. Nice people, nice environment, and an ability to grow in the company..

ConsJust like any job, some bosses are better than others, and some people are more qualified for their jobs than others.

Worked for WNYC Radio? Contribute to the Community!