WORLD Environmental

WORLD Environmental Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

I finally found a job where I have flexibility grow

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsFree Lunch on Fridays from nice places. Some of the reviews make that out to be a minor thing, but of everywhere I've worked in the past, they might have bought us lunch twice a year (maybe). So, yes, the owners are nice and promote our well being.

They don't push the staff to develop work like previous employers did. The owners are very active and creative in developing new opportunities.

They tolerate far more from their staff in terms of poor behavior and attitude than anywhere else I've worked or ever experienced. Meaning they don't fire anybody until all avenues have been exhausted. Pro or Con? I think it is a "pro" that they are patient, but a definite "con" that they don't just cut the nonsense earlier.

They have an interestingly energetic and perky business development manager (one of the owner's wives) that should have a head cheerleader when it comes to the business. Many don't like her because she insists on delivering what we promise to clients and being accountable, but then again, would we be in business long if we didn't?

The Company has a very diverse staff mix (entry level through Ph.D / entry level through 30+ years / Ph.D's, PG's, PE's) with an interesting global reach for what could be considered a small regional firm.

The firm has a global reach for what would otherwise be considered a regional firm.

They encourage us to think outside the box and be successful irrespect of age or experience.

ConsLeadership isn't very clear at times.

The two owners appear to be very bright and expereinced in their own respective areas; however, their personality types are on opposite ends of the spectrum and that often comes across as a mixed message in a small firm.

They need to appoint one manager for an office and then funnel their desires, expectations and requirements through that person to get the collective message to the staff.

Expectations should be clearer and then enforced accordingly. Presently, this is where management is divided and should close the gap. Don't be afraid to tell a staff member to leave that says that he / she isn't going to do what is asked.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn a better system of commend and correct.

Set goals and expectations more clearly.

One focal point for management. Too many leaders and not enough followers, sometimes.

Hire more experienced people that actually want to work.

Promotoe baance between home and work. At the same time, make it clear that if something is due out that all staff members help in getting the job done.

Have a system whereby the junior people pay their dues. Right now at World, 20% of the staff do 80% of the overtime to make deadlines. Some of the former "managers" didn't quite understand how to balance this aspect and make the junior staff more accountable. If we aren't taught now, when will be?

Quit being afraid of insisting what you want from the staff. If people don't want to work and hide in the weeds, why do you want them anyway?

Terrible place - be willing to work for free!

Full Charge Bookkeeper (Former Employee) Spring, TX

ProsThere are no pros with this company. Owners are like vampires and don't want to work and have absolutely no management skills.

ConsCan't meet payroll obligations, unqualified owners, losing customers for non performance issues. This was the worst experience I have ever had. Very unprofessional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of bed and show up for work. You can't run a company from home. You have to pay people to do the job you hired them for. Learn from your mistakes, stop hiring family only that aren't qualified. Take better care of your customers.

One of the most confusing, and pointless jobs I have ever held.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou can drink alcohol at the end of the day which is necessary after running in circles for 12 hours.

ConsThe company values are a joke, the lack of communication is the driving force of their failure, the inability to create consistent procedures will be hard to suceed in any position here, little direction but severe micro management, long hours, and very inconsistent pay periods

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that the intentions are good but you all seem to be too busy caring about money to realize that your foundation is breaking. Spend more time fixing in house issues before pushing growth you clearly cannot handle.

WORLD Environmental Principal responded to this review

Apr 27, 2014

Senior Project Manager, the management at World will take your advice to heart and would invite you back to see the many changes you thought were needed. Communication being the key and after ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

caveat emptor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt one point had the smartest group of folks I'd ever worked with all working at the same time. Close to home.

ConsPoor management from ownership.
    Treating employees as commodities and not investments in the company.
    Poor internal communication.
    Poor follow through on internally recognized weaknesses.
    Treating employees as boot camp grunts.
    Not recognizing respect is a two way street. It must be given and earned in order to be earned and given. If you don't respect and honor your employees why should they do likewise for you?
    Extreme micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to invest in and be empathetic with employees.
    Avoid the micromanagement.
    Recognize that this is the private sector and debasing employees as a means of encouragement does not work. It will solidify a cohesive unit, but against ownership/management.
    Just as you expect employees to do what they say, you should also do the same and not offer empty promises.

Job Seeker Beware

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Spring, TX

ProsFree coffee and snacks usually.

ConsEssentially a family owned business now that the other partner have jumped ship and started his own business. Not sure how to take your partner leaving the company to start a new one, decide for yourself. you can expect to work 50-60 hours min, and this is expected every week. A lot of micro management and massive turnover, to the tune of one employee a month, rather odd.

Take this job only to maintain yourself toil you get a new one.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, value their input and stop micro managing.

No hope

Staff Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Spring, TX

ProsThe experience under staff PE and PG is par none. They also do tend to provide snacks and drinks as well as food on Fridays.

ConsWORLD has very high turnover (1-2 employees a month in an office of 12).
     Be expected to work well over the 45 hour minimum. All of the staff is salaried and management tends to abuse this fact. Many worked 60-80hr weeks on a regular basis.
    Management is very disorganized, and there are several communication barriers.
    Be prepared to be mistreated and taken for granted daily.
    HR forgets to inform of benefit open enrollment, so much of the office is uninsured.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the family, hire professional staff, and don't lie to your clients.

Live and learn

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) Spring, TX

ProsA paycheck and not having to work every Saturday.

ConsVery long hours, and it is expected from management to put in at least 50 hours a week, and be billable 80% of that time. If you are aren't expect to have a conversation.

Everyone is expected to be a salesperson, you will go out to various businesses and solicit work, so don't be shy if you accept a job here.

You will check in and out for the day with the managing partners assistant, oh and also in and out for lunch. You will also fill out a white board for your where abouts for the month, another for the week and what you are doing, and yet another for how long it will take you to accomplish every task you are performing (can you say micro manage?)..

This is only a snippet of what I could tell you, so Google this company and do your research.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micro management, more attention to the moral of your employees, and be respectful!!!

How is this place still in business?

Environmental Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou will learn how to be a consultant in a sink-or-swim atmosphere. Maybe that's a pro?

ConsZero guidance, angry owners, angry clients, brow-beaten staff, false promises (lunches, bonuses, vacations, etc.), monthly if not weekly turnover, too many family members in one company, "office manager" knows nothing about what environmental scientists/engineers/consultants do, over-promising, under-bidding, zero trust, depressing atmosphere, constant finger-pointing, no team dynamic, poor leadership!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit writing 4 and 5 star reviews on here. Nobody talks like that. Everyone who has ever worked for WORLD has despised it. Word gets around. The rotating door of employees as well as clients needs to stop!

Worst Company EVER!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only benefits from this company were the paycheck and paid vacation time. They do offer health insurance but it was pretty expensive.

ConsWhere do I begin? This company is disfunction and disorganization rolled into a ball of complete disappointment. The hours you are expected to work are sun up to midnight, maybe longer. You will be lucky if you can get a nights sleep working under their highly stressful conditions. In fact, they would have you sleep at the office so you can be ready work as soon as you wake up. If you are considering a position with this company, please BEWARE!!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to put more value on their employees and less on their vacation time.

Catch-22 meets One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Spring, TX

ProsPaycheck and Benefits It's a job

ConsUpper management could be lkened to Col. Cathcart, Nurse Ratdhett and Major Major Major Major if you know the books. The work environment matches the books and can leave you wonering if you are Yossarian or McMurphy. Management will make such outrageous demands on your time that you have no personal life. They will blame you for their mistakes. Also you never know when certain members of management will go off on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your junoir staff to make decisions, don't be afraid of your clients hearing the truth and practice anger management.

Worked for WORLD Environmental? Contribute to the Community!