WPS Health Insurance Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Michael Hamerlik

Pros
  • Although job security is a bit shaky at this time due to major internal changes (in 5 reviews)

• WPS Health Insurance is service oriented, community centered, and has a friendly work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Positions can be unstable since most of the revenue comes from Government contracts (in 5 reviews)

• This disrupted my ability to go to school part time and see my family (in 3 reviews)

1. Making improvements

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company has gone through lots of upgrades in the last 2 years and we're finally seeing the rewards of hard work. The raises have been totally restructured and my last one was bigger than the three before combine. Glad I stay here.

Cons

Still finishing up some projects. Takes this company too long to respond to change. Work can still be feast or famine.

Advice to Management

Still a few ineffective management people who need to go.

Trouble at WPS

Pros

Some very nice people to work with.

Cons

Rumor is if we do not get this new contract the company may go down - bankruptcy The CEO just keeps buying & buying. Also, the bank was sold.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Hamerlik before he destroys the company.

Medical Review Analyst

Former Employee - Medical Review Examiner in Oregon, WI
    Former Employee - Medical Review Examiner in Oregon, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

• Review high dollar, complex cases to determine coverage, medical necessity and frequency of services in accordance with TRICARE policies for our veterans • Use strong medical knowledge and critical thinking to assess more than 40 cases daily

Cons

Poor morale among workers. Lack of appreciation by manager, and professional behavior

wps

Former Employee - Registered Nurse Redetermination Auditor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse Redetermination Auditor in Omaha, NE

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits and insurance and a bonus yearly with 2 parties. receptionist is very nice , had nice cubicles to sit at .

Cons

very poor training and no one to help you learn just told to figure it out and would over hire and then fire people who did not know how to do a job they wee not trained to do. Thyey would fire nurses when work load was low . NOT a stable or trustworthy enviroment very hostile to staff. it was run by threats and belittlement very poor management staff. you just a number if your a nurse

Advice to Management

train better and show better respect to staf I would say do not trust and beware this job at all costs of 27 nurses 19 were force out by attach and humiliation, POOR ethics and unfair treatment of staff

Let go. No severance. Bunch of backstabbers.

Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The longer I am away from WPS, the more difficult it has become for me to think of anything positive about the place. There were a couple of nurses, including one Advanced Practice Nurse Practitioner, in the commercial health insurance division who were dedicated to improving members' health and were excellent to work with.

Cons

Leadership of the commercial health insurance division, in particular the Medical Affairs Department and Arise Health Plan, is a joke. Brilliant senior directors were marginalized and ostracized by this leadership into working on "special projects," underutilizing their talents. While leadership put incredibly experienced people out to pasture, under-qualified and inexperienced people were hired into management roles. I was already trying to leave my job and find another one outside of this chain of command - either within or outside of the company - when I was fired. I was completely blindsided. I did not suspect that this could ever happen. The henchwoman (leadership's lackey) called me into a conference room on the last day of a pay period and told to leave. The reason the she gave me was complete garbage. When it came down to brass tacks, the leadership did not like me, so out I went. I later learned that the henchwoman undermined my ability to get another job elsewhere in the company where I had interviewed, and I suspect that she contacted her former employer where I had interviewed and threw me under the bus there, too. In addition I have evidence that someone from WPS contacted yet another company where I interviewed and slandered me. Only crazy people hold such a vendetta against others. I was not offered any severance, which I have learned is very uncommon in the Madison market. Most companies offer you substantial amounts of hush money in exchange for signing a severance agreement stipulating that you will never speak poorly of the company and certainly never write a review like the one I am writing now. When I applied for unemployment benefits, WPS countered that I was fired due to a "work rule violation." Funny, no one ever said anything to me about violating work rules. No discussions. No emails. No nothing. There are no policies, no employment handbook, no nothing. If I had not found another (much better, FANTASTIC) job where I am respected and people are treated like PEOPLE and not widgets, I would have had to fight WPS for my measly weekly unemployment benefits. I'm certain they would have dragged me through the mud and slandered me even more to keep from paying out what was rightfully mine. Hiring a lawyer to go after them for wrongful termination (as I am a woman over age 40) would have wiped out any unemployment benefit I was eligible to receive. Exercise extreme caution if you decide to work there. I thought I had good relationships with my colleagues, and I got along well with management. Or so I thought until the day I was walked out the door. Some of my former colleagues told me that the day after I was fired the henchwoman gathered them together to inform them that I and one other person had been fired, but that everyone should know that we both did excellent work. How does that improve morale? Hey, you too can get fired for giving your ALL to WPS! Do excellent work and we will still fire you! Seriously? Did you folks not take Employee Relations 101? Anyone can do better than going to work there. There are plenty of professional jobs out there. While interviewing at many other organizations before accepting my current job, I learned that working at WPS is perceived as really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Advice to Management

None. You have made it clear you already know it all. Good luck, suckers.

Stay away

Current Employee - IT Professional in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not much to mention It's a job and they have to pay even though it's not much

Cons

Very stressful environment, staff are overworked, compensation is unfair and well below market rate, upper management are mostly crooks; For example HR did a study on compensation and now realize that staff are underpaid relative to the market but they decided not adjust compensation Executive staff compensation is near $300k annually while most of their staff are unfairly paid Benefits, whatever is left of them are really bad. They took away any pension benefits, they canceled the matching 401k In place of the pension, no more tuition reimbursement, training budget is nonexistent; they even closed down the internal training dept we used to have. Health insurance has a $2000 deductible with a $50 copy and 10% cost share snd you must pay about $200/month for insurance premium. They will offer you a small discount on your premium if you agree to be subjected to very humiliating testing by nurses with your coworkers ... You will be herded in a room to be examined in a group setting with other workers and you will be counseled on your eating habits, your cholesterol, weight and any other criteria they choose to talk to you about ... No privacy and very degrading and humiliating. hourly/Union employees have no idea what's coming to them; I have insight to know that once their contract is up next year you will have to kiss goodbye the nice benefits and pay you currently have, HR is already setting the stage and planning for how they will strip most of your benefits away ... Start looking for another job now before it's too late. I'm currently looking to get out and could care less if their business goes to hell, most of my peers feel the same way and just looking for the right time to get out ... Most companies in the Madison area are better and at least try to be fair.

Advice to Management

Regular management tries to be fair within the very strict limits they have, the company is burning its employees and they could care less about them Advocate for your staff and leave with us; we all try to time when we will leave to infect the most pain on the business ... Stand with us and make a statement ... Those crooks do not understand any other language

Kinda crazy...

Pros

In last year enough senior management was replaced to put the pedal to the metal and start to get some stuff done that's been sitting dormant for decades. There is an effort to try!

Cons

Too many major projects going on at once--at risk of recreating mess you are trying to fix. Not enough people and expertise to get all the work done. Ongoing professional training is virtually non-existant. Upward mobility extremely limited. Very little tolerance to risk and management by fear and micromanagement.

Advice to Management

Don't try to do everything at once... you are burning out your best people and it could all backfire.

Demoralizing, stressful, little reward. Not worthy of dedication or loyalty.

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. My co workers and compatriots in misery. Quitting time. A paycheck.

Cons

This statement will give you an idea of the mindset of WPS, made by one of the department heads, "quality doesn't win contracts, production does.". So forget having pride in the quality of your work its all about production. Another example of the mindset at WPS .... Every two weeks you receive a paper showing the production percentage of everyone in your dept. Again the statement by the head of the dept " staff (we aren't called people) who hold the bottom position are a waste of company money and resources". This should give you a pretty clear picture of what you will be in for if you accept a job at WPS. Oh and the benefits....every year the cost increases for the health insurance and in over ten years the dental benefits have not changed even though the cost has increased. If you need one root canal it will use the cost will exhaust your yearly maximum.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give because management is not open to the thoughts or commentary from staff. Unless it is completely in line with what their intent was all along.

Analyst

Current Employee - - Corporate, Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - - Corporate, Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good work/ life balance.

Cons

Your experience largely depends upon what supervisor you have. I've worked in three depts and have had different experiences.

Advice to Management

More consistency with policies. Better training.

Senior Programmer Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard-working, Team player, Helpful, Dedicated, Flexible, Work without direction and do my own digging. Like to take notes and document. Value quality of work, and I am a good proof reader. Motivated, committed, Enthusiastic, listens well. Researches and solves problems. Likes to multi-task, and I am very organized.

Cons

I communicate sometimes to much, but want to make sure things get done, and thus do extra effort sometimes.

Advice to Management

Learn to delegate, and listen to those that report to you. Be a team player, and reward those who deserve it.

RSS Feed </> Embed