WPS Health Insurance

WPS Health Insurance Reviews

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

Michael Hamerlik

Pros
  • Although job security is a bit shaky at this time due to major internal changes (in 5 reviews)

• WPS Health Insurance is service oriented, community centered, and has a friendly work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is also heavily dependent on government contracts (in 5 reviews)

• This disrupted my ability to go to school part time and see my family (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Eh....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. mostly like the people I work with.

Cons

Union... hard to get promted.

treat people with more respect.

Very hard work and no reward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job and pays the bills

Cons

To make it here you have to work so hard and forget about having a life outside; it's really a place where you are expected to live so you can work for them
    Compensation is very poor and many of the benefits are no longer here

If you burnout your good people what will you be left with ?

Good company, but very reactive

Former Employee - Supervisor in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Wausau, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time

Pros

WPS is a good company with family values and good ethics. Pay is decent and benefits are good. A lot of new upper management is shaking things up now.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement in some areas. Not much support for continuing education for most employees. Some departments get opportunities and some don't.

Continue to improve communication with employees.

Horrible place to work!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are none- don't work here!

Cons

This company has never, will never value their employees. Their motto might as well be "we don't care, there's always someone else". I worked there for 18 years, and I've never met more backstabbing suck ups in all my life. I'm not a disgruntled ex-employee, I'm extremely happy with my job now, and leaving WPS was the best thing that ever happened to me. The pay scale is horrible too. I'm doing the exact same thing as I was at WPS, and getting paid a lot more!

Quit!

Poor Management

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance

Pros

Good pay, Medicare contract in Omaha

Cons

Supervisor with no personality, always frowns. They layed off people in Dec 2012. Not rewarded for performance. They would rather have a good average call time than you give correct answers.

Hire personable managers. Be performance based and not seniority based for promotions. Get with the times!

Was very active, participating and sometimes learning

Current Employee - IS Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - IS Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very Nice Coworkers, nice benefits on 401-k and health

Cons

Communications amongs the department employees by department heads has to improve.

The mandatory overtime never ends

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay and job security were excellent. I really liked having a union to turn to when management was unreasonable or actively hostile. The health, dental, and vision benefits were good. The office location and campus were nice.

Cons

In the 8 years I worked there we were on mandated overtime of 10 hours a week for 5 of those years. This was originally supposed to be a temporary problem during a major transition, but instead ended up being the standard way of doing business in all departments. This disrupted my ability to go to school part time and see my family. If you leave due to extended overtime you will be listed as ineligible for rehire, which makes it difficult to get future jobs!

Hire enough employees that it ceases to be necessary to have people work 10 hours overtime every week for years on end. Stop pushing high quantity quotas that people cannot meet. Stop pushing conservative (anti insurance reform) political values on employees in a liberal city.

Good Company with Lots of Changes Happening

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

WPS has an employee family friendly culture. They offer flexible schedules and good benefits. They pay is good. Management works hard to give employees flexibility for their family life.

Cons

Promotional growth is limited in outlying offices. Leadership is not always kept informed of what the company direction is. Focus on flexibility for non-exempt staff schedules sometimes presents challenges for management to cover production areas.

Provide better systems training to management, especially new management. Keep satellite offices in the communication loop to ensure they understand where the corporation is going.

Very good company toGood while it lasted work for

Former Employee - Unit Coordinator in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Unit Coordinator in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice work environment, company paid training prior to entering a new department.

Cons

Many jobs are based on government contracts which the company does lose at times, which lead to layoffs.

Try to retain your good employees

Big changes going on with this company

Former Employee - Support Staff in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ask anyone why they have worked for this company for a long period of time and they will most likely tell you it's the people and job security. Although job security is a bit shaky at this time due to major internal changes. It's easy to shine here as long as you have a good work ethic.

Cons

Very few positions offer the ability to work from home. The company is ditching it's informal appearance for a business/casual dress code and paying more attention to degrees instead of giving credit to work experience. The company largely consists of people that started at the bottom and worked their way up because they have no degree. These people have a hard time accepting change so you will encounter quite a bit of negativity from some employees. The raises are minimal and seem unfair at times. It appears the better you are at your job, the more work you get while a slacker co-worker will achieve less and frequently get the same pay raise. Bonuses are iffy each year. If you are a salaried employee you are expected to put in extra time (weekends, nights, on-call, etc). If you are hourly you will have mandated overtime sometimes but the money is great.
    My biggest complaint is the lack of employee development and training. WPS handicaps itself by it's strict regulation of what software can and cannot be used by it's employees.

I have no advice. Upper management's hands are frequently tied due to this being a large corporation. They cannot offer employees what other companies can. They rely solely on people working there for several years and getting too comfortable to leave. They also do not develop employees to the degree that you feel as if you are on the edge of technology so you feel a degree of intimidation looking for a job outside the company.

WPS Health Insurance Photos