WS Packaging Group

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.4

Rex E. Lane

Was able to advance and be involved.

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are investing in new printing technology. I was able to progress fairly quickly. The company values Lean methodologies. 401k match.

Cons

There is an attendence point system that is only for discipline and not reward. Raises in pay are scarce. Only one choice in healthcare policy and it is high deductible which I guess is becoming the norm.

Pay better and listen more to complaints.

Buffoons for Management

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Neenah, WI

I worked at WS Packaging Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The location I worked at was Neenah Wisconsin, the majority of the manufacturing employees are friendly and hard working of todays standards. The building was air-conditioned in the hot summer days and heated in the winter so the work environment is ok.

Cons

The majority of the leadership is the buddy system, it's not what you know it's who you know. They don't like to hear honest criticism. The management plays with the sales and profit numbers to manipulate their profit share system business sectors. The pay scale is low compared to the national average.

Be honest to the people that make up the company. If your not going to listen to the people then eliminate your open door policy. Hold your managers responsible for there poor performance and profits of there business sector.

Horrible management

Former Employee - General Laborer in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cannot think of a single pro.

Cons

Expensive health care, no other benefits. Vacation time off sucks. Doesn't respect employees. No advancement opportunities unless you are a certified "Yes Man"

What Happened?

I have been working at WS Packaging Group

Pros

Generally nice people. Work life balance is good.

Cons

My department leader seems to stay in the office and never tells anyone what's happening. The new CEO told us he would "energize" things and "turn things around", and stop looking internally so we could increase sales. All I see is that he spends more time commuting back home than in the office. I'm disappointed with the amount he swears. He talked a lot about changing the direction when he started and we're still waiting to hear his plan (it's been over 6 months). We haven't seen real growth in a long time. No one seems to care or is capable enough to deal with it. More and more of us think some of our sales VPs aren't qualified for their role, just been here a long time and were over promoted. Someone has to fix this.

Set the direction and communicate what's going on. Hold our leaders accountable. If they can't do the job, make a change. Doesn't matter if they've been here 10 or 20 years. It's frustrating to quietly watch them.

Employees dropping like flies!

Current Employee - Gluer Operator in Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Gluer Operator in Winona, MN

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only thing that is decent are the people I work with on the production floor that have been around for years. Friday hours are decent.

Cons

STP sucks! You have to meet an eligibilty for an annual increase. You are treated as a number and not a person. The only reason that the general manager and people in the office know your name is because it is printed on your uniform. The uniforms that you have to pay for out of pocket because they only provide you with a small gift certificate a year to purchase new ones. The insurance is horrible. The main concern they have is dollar amounts and numbers. They don't have a care in the world what the product looks like. Lean manufacturing does not always work. They push and push employees to go above and beyond what they already do and they do not reward them for it at sll. Moral in the company is horrible!

Pull you heads out of the office and come do our jobs for a day instead of staring at a computer or on the phone. We are people too. Maybe you will realize the hard work that we do to put a paycheck in your pocket.

This was a very good company to work for but travel to Algoma from Green Bay in winter could sometimes be difficult.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Algoma, WI
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Algoma, WI

I worked at WS Packaging Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment and great people. Good benefits including profit sharing.

Cons

Driving at night in winter was often difficult because roads were sometimes not plowed.

Incompetent management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want time off in Knoxville you are in luck. Only the pressmen have the opportunity for overtime.

Cons

Most people with authority are unaware of the problems plague their subordinates or they just dont care. It is all about spending dollars to save pennies with this company. If you have an issue well good luck because department heads are in meetings approximately 50% of the day.

Clean house in the front offices and within management. Leave your offices for more than just meetings. There are a lot of problems that need to be addressed.

Like a roller coaster ride,the job had no long term stability in any area of the company.

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location and rewards for safety.

Cons

Management and supervision on the floor was almost non-exsistent. Also, too many inappropriate situations were either ignored or simply tolerated.No moral compass here!

Real people with families work here not only machines and computers.Also,too much favortisim is ruling the roost along with hiring employee's family members and friends.

Disorganized company that cares little about it's employees health, family, or happiness

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Powell, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Powell, TN

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're looking for a company that offers overtime, here it is. Of course it's mandatory...every single weekend (some people are going on 45 days straight right now)...so that might fall under Cons as well. They are currently working on becoming a safer company so if you feel something is unsafe they will listen. Of course working 40+ days in a row is probably not very safe or productive so I guess safety is probably not a real big concern.

Cons

The management has no clue what is going on with the work flow, the employees, or who is in charge of what. I've never worked for a more disorganized company. Employees are lied to about job duties, wages, and hours. There is absolutely no training program set up. New employees are shown for a week how to work a particular machine and then released and expected to know how to fix things if a machine goes down. They are now having brand new people (employed for less than a month) train other new people how to run machines. It's like the blind leading the blind. Advancement is done politically, if you're in good with management, they'll advance you...sometimes when you don't want to be advanced. There have been people who had no interest in being taken off their machine/shift to be taught different jobs when there were others hoping for that particular job/shift and have been there longer but were completely looked over.

Try taking employees suggestions seriously. If your employees aren't happy you are getting sub-par work. Quit lying to your employees about things getting better and not working every weekend unless you are actually doing something to fix it.

Frustrated former employee ( 7 years ).

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many facilities allows for a great deal of Sales opportunities to the customers.
    Good support system within & between the different Plants.

Cons

When Equity group took over the culture changed. New procedures prevailed and Customer Service went out the window.
    Everything became "Charts & Graphics" Lean means more than Clients.
    Common Sense is a thing of the past.

Read what "Lean Machine" wrote. Dead-on !!
    You focus on the Offense (Internal) and have NO Defense (Competition).
    Consider the Big Picture to become effective.
    Listen to your Sales force why jobs are lost.