WS Packaging Group Reviews

Rex E. Lane

1. Cool place

Current Employee - Operator Assistant in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Operator Assistant in Redding, CA

I have been working at WS Packaging Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The place is okay to work.

Cons

This place has no cons.

2. Communication?

Current Employee - Press Operator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady work.
    Multiple locations allow for relocation if desired.
    Pay and benefits match the industry
    Monthly profit sharing based on company performance.

Cons

No communication from Management to work force.
    Stuck in position with little opportunity for advancement.
    Lean business model not explained or applied properly.

Advice to Management

Local management needs to communicate with team to keep them up to date on corporate happenings along with plant metrics and goals. Staffing issues need to be handled with more urgency to avoid excessive overtime.

3. My experience has been great here at my company.

Current Employee - Plate Maker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Plate Maker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good hours, flexible schedule, work environment is calm and workers at this company are very friendly. Nice profitable sharing checks

Cons

No room to move up and grow, your position is your position and will most likely be for your length of employment with the company.

Advice to Management

Make room for growth

5. It's a great customer-oriented company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Algoma, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Algoma, WI

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time

Pros

There is a massive amount of experience and knowledge that the people who run the graphics, plate, die and printing operations have to draw upon. The extent of the capabilities WS has to offer customers in really unmatched.

Cons

The overall market is not growing very fast. Some of the health benefits can be costly-- but it's better than passing those costs along to customers in order to be competitive.

Advice to Management

Customers have a variety of options to choose from. Always keep in mind that customers have other options and be thorough in your aim to please the customers who choose WS.

6. Executive Leadership Lacking

Former Employee - Former Manager in Algoma, WI
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Algoma, WI

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Under the former leadership of Terry Fulwiler and his executive team, the company flourished and grew dramatically from $5M when he took over from his retiring father, to $425M when he retired in 2011. Family values were important so was integrity and simply doing the right thing. Strong compensation, great profit sharing and competitive fringe benefits kept employees on the team, loyal and dedicated.

Cons

Since Terry's planned retirement in 2011, the company has gone through a horrible executive mix. Now another CEO has been named.........the 3rd since Terry retired. The private equity group that owns the company has made some very bad hires and totally destroyed the culture that made WS such a great employer.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of running the business. Value your employees, return to the use of 'common sense". Get rid of expensive executives who have a sense of entitlement to high salaries, perks, and compensation programs that are not based on company performance. You have lost your way ----- listen to your senior managers who helped grow the company, get back to where it was under Terry and his team.

7. supervisor

I worked at WS Packaging Group

Pros

pay, always have work to do

Cons

pushy rush you to get the jobs down right or wrong

8. On the upward swing

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The prevous Executive team hurt morale in many ways and resulted in a lot of good employees leaving. The new Executive team seems to have more common sense (which had been missing) and are much more approachable. They seems to be working improve the morale and teamwork and have made some changes already responding to concerns and/or strengthen the company as a whole. There is a better balance bettween what is good for company AND employees. The employee base is fantastic. There are many good employees who care about what they do and are great to work with. I have seen many of these hard working individuals progress through the years.

Cons

More could be done with training overall. Employees are trained to their specific job, but there could be additional training in soft skills or continued training to keep enhancing their skill/craft. There is still a lot of skepticism and morale issues which is lingering from the previous CEO and his team.

Advice to Management

Keep increasing the level of communication. The more we know the more we will feel like a team and the better we can work toward the end goal. Increasing the communication will increase employee involvement. Listen to the ideas and concerns of the employees to ensure they will continue to want to participate and get involved.

Dumb and Dumber

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at WS Packaging Group

Pros

Work life balance
    Coworkers
    Commute
    Workspace

Cons

JW Childs, our private equity owners, hired two arrogant morons to lead our company last year. The CEO is as approachable as barbed wire with the business insight of a coma patient (which matches his commitment to the company) and the "new" CAO (HR Leader) has openly said he has no interest in HR and has single handedly (well, with the help of the coma patient) reduced any value that HR had. What does he do during his 3 working days each week?? We've taken such a big step backwards over the last year with these two that I have to believe it is intentional in some way. If you are reading this JW Childs, stop this now or sell us! These guys are making us lose in their own incompetent ways!

Advice to Management

Turn back the clock and replace these guys you've brought in. They have hurt our morale and your investment!

Unwilling to Progress

Current Employee - Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with for the most part.

Cons

Managed from the top down, they are not willing to listen to employees. Meager on the compensation and very stingy on training opportunities.

Advice to Management

Invest in certifications, training and employee knowledge enrichment.

Buffoons for Management

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mason, OH

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The location I worked at was Neenah Wisconsin, the majority of the manufacturing employees are friendly and hard working of todays standards. The building was air-conditioned in the hot summer days and heated in the winter so the work environment is ok.

Cons

The majority of the leadership is the buddy system, it's not what you know it's who you know. They don't like to hear honest criticism. The management plays with the sales and profit numbers to manipulate their profit share system business sectors. The pay scale is low compared to the national average.

Advice to Management

Be honest to the people that make up the company. If your not going to listen to the people then eliminate your open door policy. Hold your managers responsible for there poor performance and profits of there business sector.

RSS Feed </> Embed