WS Packaging Group Reviews

2.4
Rex E. Lane

1. On the upward swing

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The prevous Executive team hurt morale in many ways and resulted in a lot of good employees leaving. The new Executive team seems to have more common sense (which had been missing) and are much more approachable. They seems to be working improve the morale and teamwork and have made some changes already responding to concerns and/or strengthen the company as a whole. There is a better balance bettween what is good for company AND employees. The employee base is fantastic. There are many good employees who care about what they do and are great to work with. I have seen many of these hard working individuals progress through the years.

Cons

More could be done with training overall. Employees are trained to their specific job, but there could be additional training in soft skills or continued training to keep enhancing their skill/craft. There is still a lot of skepticism and morale issues which is lingering from the previous CEO and his team.

Advice to Management

Keep increasing the level of communication. The more we know the more we will feel like a team and the better we can work toward the end goal. Increasing the communication will increase employee involvement. Listen to the ideas and concerns of the employees to ensure they will continue to want to participate and get involved.

2. Executive Leadership Lacking

Former Employee - Former Manager in Algoma, WI
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Algoma, WI

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Under the former leadership of Terry Fulwiler and his executive team, the company flourished and grew dramatically from $5M when he took over from his retiring father, to $425M when he retired in 2011. Family values were important so was integrity and simply doing the right thing. Strong compensation, great profit sharing and competitive fringe benefits kept employees on the team, loyal and dedicated.

Cons

Since Terry's planned retirement in 2011, the company has gone through a horrible executive mix. Now another CEO has been named.........the 3rd since Terry retired. The private equity group that owns the company has made some very bad hires and totally destroyed the culture that made WS such a great employer.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of running the business. Value your employees, return to the use of 'common sense". Get rid of expensive executives who have a sense of entitlement to high salaries, perks, and compensation programs that are not based on company performance. You have lost your way ----- listen to your senior managers who helped grow the company, get back to where it was under Terry and his team.

3. supervisor

I worked at WS Packaging Group

Pros

pay, always have work to do

Cons

pushy rush you to get the jobs down right or wrong

Dumb and Dumber

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at WS Packaging Group

Pros

Work life balance
    Coworkers
    Commute
    Workspace

Cons

JW Childs, our private equity owners, hired two arrogant morons to lead our company last year. The CEO is as approachable as barbed wire with the business insight of a coma patient (which matches his commitment to the company) and the "new" CAO (HR Leader) has openly said he has no interest in HR and has single handedly (well, with the help of the coma patient) reduced any value that HR had. What does he do during his 3 working days each week?? We've taken such a big step backwards over the last year with these two that I have to believe it is intentional in some way. If you are reading this JW Childs, stop this now or sell us! These guys are making us lose in their own incompetent ways!

Advice to Management

Turn back the clock and replace these guys you've brought in. They have hurt our morale and your investment!

Unwilling to Progress

Current Employee - Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with for the most part.

Cons

Managed from the top down, they are not willing to listen to employees. Meager on the compensation and very stingy on training opportunities.

Advice to Management

Invest in certifications, training and employee knowledge enrichment.

Buffoons for Management

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mason, OH

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The location I worked at was Neenah Wisconsin, the majority of the manufacturing employees are friendly and hard working of todays standards. The building was air-conditioned in the hot summer days and heated in the winter so the work environment is ok.

Cons

The majority of the leadership is the buddy system, it's not what you know it's who you know. They don't like to hear honest criticism. The management plays with the sales and profit numbers to manipulate their profit share system business sectors. The pay scale is low compared to the national average.

Advice to Management

Be honest to the people that make up the company. If your not going to listen to the people then eliminate your open door policy. Hold your managers responsible for there poor performance and profits of there business sector.

What Happened?

I have been working at WS Packaging Group

Pros

Generally nice people. Work life balance is good.

Cons

My department leader seems to stay in the office and never tells anyone what's happening. The new CEO told us he would "energize" things and "turn things around", and stop looking internally so we could increase sales. All I see is that he spends more time commuting back home than in the office. I'm disappointed with the amount he swears. He talked a lot about changing the direction when he started and we're still waiting to hear his plan (it's been over 6 months). We haven't seen real growth in a long time. No one seems to care or is capable enough to deal with it. More and more of us think some of our sales VPs aren't qualified for their role, just been here a long time and were over promoted. Someone has to fix this.

Advice to Management

Set the direction and communicate what's going on. Hold our leaders accountable. If they can't do the job, make a change. Doesn't matter if they've been here 10 or 20 years. It's frustrating to quietly watch them.

Horrible management

Former Employee - General Laborer in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of a single pro.

Cons

Expensive health care, no other benefits. Vacation time off sucks. Doesn't respect employees. No advancement opportunities unless you are a certified "Yes Man"

Was able to advance and be involved.

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are investing in new printing technology. I was able to progress fairly quickly. The company values Lean methodologies. 401k match.

Cons

There is an attendence point system that is only for discipline and not reward. Raises in pay are scarce. Only one choice in healthcare policy and it is high deductible which I guess is becoming the norm.

Advice to Management

Pay better and listen more to complaints.

Employees dropping like flies!

Current Employee - Gluer Operator in Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Gluer Operator in Winona, MN

I have been working at WS Packaging Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only thing that is decent are the people I work with on the production floor that have been around for years. Friday hours are decent.

Cons

STP sucks! You have to meet an eligibilty for an annual increase. You are treated as a number and not a person. The only reason that the general manager and people in the office know your name is because it is printed on your uniform. The uniforms that you have to pay for out of pocket because they only provide you with a small gift certificate a year to purchase new ones. The insurance is horrible. The main concern they have is dollar amounts and numbers. They don't have a care in the world what the product looks like. Lean manufacturing does not always work. They push and push employees to go above and beyond what they already do and they do not reward them for it at sll. Moral in the company is horrible!

Advice to Management

Pull you heads out of the office and come do our jobs for a day instead of staring at a computer or on the phone. We are people too. Maybe you will realize the hard work that we do to put a paycheck in your pocket.