WS Packaging Group

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rex E. Lane

This was a very good company to work for but travel to Algoma from Green Bay in winter could sometimes be difficult.

Graphic Artist (Former Employee) Algoma, WI

ProsGreat working environment and great people. Good benefits including profit sharing.

ConsDriving at night in winter was often difficult because roads were sometimes not plowed.

Like a roller coaster ride,the job had no long term stability in any area of the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice location and rewards for safety.

ConsManagement and supervision on the floor was almost non-exsistent. Also, too many inappropriate situations were either ignored or simply tolerated.No moral compass here!

Advice to Senior ManagementReal people with families work here not only machines and computers.Also,too much favortisim is ruling the roost along with hiring employee's family members and friends.

Disorganized company that cares little about it's employees health, family, or happiness

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Powell, TN

ProsIf you're looking for a company that offers overtime, here it is. Of course it's mandatory...every single weekend (some people are going on 45 days straight right now)...so that might fall under Cons as well. They are currently working on becoming a safer company so if you feel something is unsafe they will listen. Of course working 40+ days in a row is probably not very safe or productive so I guess safety is probably not a real big concern.

ConsThe management has no clue what is going on with the work flow, the employees, or who is in charge of what. I've never worked for a more disorganized company. Employees are lied to about job duties, wages, and hours. There is absolutely no training program set up. New employees are shown for a week how to work a particular machine and then released and expected to know how to fix things if a machine goes down. They are now having brand new people (employed for less than a month) train other new people how to run machines. It's like the blind leading the blind. Advancement is done politically, if you're in good with management, they'll advance you...sometimes when you don't want to be advanced. There have been people who had no interest in being taken off their machine/shift to be taught different jobs when there were others hoping for that particular job/shift and have been there longer but were completely looked over.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry taking employees suggestions seriously. If your employees aren't happy you are getting sub-par work. Quit lying to your employees about things getting better and not working every weekend unless you are actually doing something to fix it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrated former employee ( 7 years ).

OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee)

ProsMany facilities allows for a great deal of Sales opportunities to the customers.
    Good support system within & between the different Plants.

ConsWhen Equity group took over the culture changed. New procedures prevailed and Customer Service went out the window.
    Everything became "Charts & Graphics" Lean means more than Clients.
    Common Sense is a thing of the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead what "Lean Machine" wrote. Dead-on !!
    You focus on the Offense (Internal) and have NO Defense (Competition).
    Consider the Big Picture to become effective.
    Listen to your Sales force why jobs are lost.

Everybody wears multiple hats in their jobs.

Press Operator (Current Employee) Neenah, WI

ProsThe pay and STP bonus plan.

ConsWorking alot of weekends. Alot of change, just to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake small changes and drive those change before moving on.

WS Packaging Group is a great company to work for, lots of opportunity to grow!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsAlways looking for continuous improvement, encourages people to work smarter not just harder, and embraces change.

ConsStill going through some growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate with your employees on a regular basis, they love the feedback.

Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Algoma, WI

ProsGood people who know what they're doing

ConsA bit to "Small Town" for future growth

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people make the decisions

lean machine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe infusion in recent years of many people from outside the print industry brought fresh new approaches and deep expertise in kaizen.

ConsEmphasis on productivity and daily management metrics is so extreme that common sense is sometimes forgotten. A C-level leader was quoted as saying: "We don't need good people, we just need good process".

Advice to Senior ManagementLeaving people out of the equation is a mistake - you need both good people and good process.

The people are great but management is terrible.

ProsThe non-management workers are great and care about the company.

ConsThe CEO has put too much emphasis on lean and not enough on getting new sales. He has top loaded management with his cronies paying them a high salary. He has laid off good productive people instead of his buddies in management. Company once had a family feel, now you are just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO and re-organize management.

Great people (for the most part), horrible environment otherwise

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsA lot of the people there are very nice, and a lot of them are also very experienced and quite helpful.

ConsThe WS Group is very big in label sales, but very small in the Automation Division (ASD). As a result of that, we are seen as the redheaded stepchild of the company. The label sales-people will bully the ASD division into doing things as they please. We have been referred to as "Idiots" by the label sales people. Projects are not clearly defined from the beginning and as a result, the projects end up being problematic or unprofitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease clearly define the scope of a project from the beginning and ask all the questions

Worked for WS Packaging Group? Contribute to the Community!