WSI

Updated August 25, 2014
3.4

WSI President Mark Gildersleeve
Mark Gildersleeve

After our company got bought out things went downhill fast.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Andover, MA

I worked at WSI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn, grow, and work as a team. If you work for the company in Andover things could be good. Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology in a number of areas. C++, C#, OpenGL, Weather, Database, Java, Mobile, etc.

Cons

Company is losing money and downsizing its newly acquired company. If you work in the Madison office, your time at the company is probably limited. The company is not doing well financially and looking for ways to cut costs. They currently support two sets of software that do the same thing, since acquiring Weather Central in Madison. There is no opportunity in Madison, only Massachusetts or possibly with The Weather Channel in Atlanta.

Stop hiring vice presidents and focus more on the average employees.

So much potential that's stymied by senior management

I worked at WSI

Pros

Broadcast products are dominant in the marketplace. Aviation products seem well respected in the field. Energy products are well-established. There are very intelligent professionals working at both the Andover and Madison offices. This is particularly true in engineering, meteorology, and SQA. There is a close relationship among employees if they are working in the same department. There's such amazing potential here, but...

Cons

Senior management is slowly destroying the company. There are poor decisions that are driven, primarily, by extraordinary pressure coming down from corporate through to senior management. There is a very top down culture and managerial style. Some of the good middle managers block it; others not so much. When trying to reasonably explain that the goals are unreasonable and alternatives are offered, nothing of true consequence is done. Just talk.

Be absolutely truthful with your employees and invest in developing those employees, through training and coaching. This isn't offered now, and some senior managers could use it. Trust and support your middle and product managers. Eliminate the top-down style, and replace it with an environment where employees can apply their expertise appropriately without massive pressure. Hopefully, the company will be sold soon so that the private equity mess is out of the way. Bring in a new, slightly younger, less controlling CEO. If you wait too long, your talent will gradually fade.

Very supportive, excellent Company, would recommend to my friends and family

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Harahan, LA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Harahan, LA

I have been working at WSI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Currently have a retired Army CSM as the Project Manager, he has brought the mindset over from the Army - therefore he believes in mentoring/training your replacement (I've been able to schedule my Subordinates to receive the same training I have received). And I've been able to attend training that is helping me become more effective and efficiency in my job, plus training for my own professional development - so I can move up within the Organization.

Cons

It's a Contract company, that works for a different Contract company, and they report to a Federal Agency. Therefore, the biggest disadvantage is not being able to have a direct link the the Federal company, all/most communication must travel though the middle Contract company. From my point of view, It's a 2 layer communication situation.

As a Manager, I'm very happy with the support I've been given from the Project Manager. I'm not micromanaged, I'm afford the tools to get the job done, and I've been able to run my section accordingly.

Good people, interesting work

I have been working at WSI

Pros

Interesting and important work.
    Can really have an affect on people's lives.

Cons

Limit growth potential.
    Many departments require 24 hour support.

Cool products that directly touch customers

I have been working at WSI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Forward thinking software development company using advanced technology to build customer facing products. Products make a difference in our daily lives - most people don't even realize they are experiencing a WSI product. Focus on outcomes and performance - treats people like professionals. Cares about employees as individuals. I look forward to coming to work everyday....always learning something new.

Cons

Need to update the office space which is in process.

Continue transparent communication on division results.

Company is not a good place to work

I have been working at WSI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At one time was a great company, there are still some great people working here, but they will be leaving soon.

Cons

Disconnected management, horrible work environment, and falling pay. 4 years in a row with layoffs should tell you all you need to know about this company.

Outside of changing senior managers, not much can be done to right this ship.

Worst place to work I've ever been at (or heard of)

I have been working at WSI full-time

Pros

Convenient location, near 495 and 93.

Cons

Bottom fishers, refuse to pay market salaries. Promotions artificially suppressed, again to keep salaries lower. Management deceives customers (over promises) and employees alike. Benefits are horrible, I know of people at non-profits who have better. Management delights in "burying" people, so you have to work long hours. The code base is the worst I've ever seen, I wrote better code that was better documented in college (no exaggeration). Little formal testing, bugs often found by customers.

This only applies to the aviation division, I think the media division is better.

There's no hope that I can see for fixing this, just run!

good people, good products, good culture

Current Employee - Software Dev in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Software Dev in Andover, MA

I have been working at WSI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Highly committed and talented staff with extensive industry knowledge. Lots of industry experience here. Products are generally leaders in their respective markets.

Cons

compensation is below market rate.

Would like to see ownership (private equity) more willing to take a long-term view in terms of growth rather than pushing for short term rev growth (in apparent attempt to boost valuation for sale). Prior ownership had better perspective in this regard.

Employees are fairly treated, respected, and allowed to grow in many directions..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at WSI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for professional growth and diverse opportunities
    Upper management is trustworthy and well-respected
    Flexible schedule is family friendly

Cons

A little too worried about reaching short-term financial goals at the expense of longer-term growth
    Limited "think" time due to relentless pursuit of short-term goals

Keep up the good work but be more aggressive at thinking big picture and longer term

bsa

Current Employee - BSA in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - BSA in Andover, MA

I have been working at WSI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work environment, work life balance

Cons

management, ppl, environment, politics, ethics

talk to the ppl

WSI Photos

Logo sign at the office entrance
The view when you come to work in the morning.

+ Add Photo