WSIB Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014

WSIB President & CEO I. David Marshall
I. David Marshall

Great place to work

Former Employee - Tech Support  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WSIB as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Close to public transportation, great people to work with, many great lunch options with a food court in the basement floor.

Cons

For me it was a long Go train ride from Oshawa, it was a contract position so I am upset that it ended because I really enjoyed working there!

Great job, keep your staff happy and you will have happy staff! Lol

Eligibility Adjudicator

Current Employee - Eligibility Adjudicator  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Eligibility Adjudicator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WSIB full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fabulous in class training with excellent compensation and benefits. Upon exiting the inclass training, you are extremely knowledgeable regarding WSIB legislation, policy and processes. If you are young with little or no work experience, this is excellent training to have on a resume.

Cons

Negative political, call center environment. Micromanaged. Poor leadership lacking in sincere people skills. High turn over rates of new hires reflective of an unaccountable waste of training dollars and employer premiums. Poor work-life balance as a result of high turn over. Time off policies are renegged on due to short staffed issues. Personal growth - also renegged on noting those successful in competitions past and present are held back or called back, due to high exits (voluntary and otherwise). Promotions and personal growth offerred through competitions. however, unsure of how they actually select as very good, qualified people have recently applied to in house opportunities and been turned down. Unsupportive, power-tripping, politically evil management leading to poor employee morale overall. Our department does not have sufficient long term employees whose expertise can really be drawn on. This is not appear to be the case outside of Toronto office.

Work with your new hires to genuinely meet success and eliminate the unnecessary volume we are working with. Please stop telling new training groups that this is not the job for everyone. Encourage the mentors to work with them to actuall ensure they stay, and not to power trip. Initial Entitlement Department is inadequately staffed as a result and the place looks like a ghost town, with a huge burden of work for those of us who have stayed. There should be be a genuine committment to personal growth, work - life balance and time off policies ie flex time and earned days off to help maintain a mentally healthy department.

Good employer for a long term career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WSIB full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance is very easily attainable, it is possible to grow and advance.

Cons

Advancement is difficult at times, organization is inconsistent in what it values in its employees and messaging. A lot of policitical interference from Queen's Park and appointments tend to be political. Each appointment brings with it a slate of new people loyal or hired by the most recent management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WSIB

Former Employee - Director  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WSIB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Meaningful work that makes a difference in the world.

Cons

Bureaucratic culture that is resistant to change.

blame game

I have been working at WSIB

Pros

Pays well, great benefits, well-located, job security (well, there used to be), has done a good job of ridding its staff with an outlandish sense of entitlement

Cons

Rampant nepotism and favouritism, outrageously top-heavy management, wrong people in management, too political, highly bureaucratic, something of an affirmative action styled promotion scheme in management where talented people are often kept down, cut-throat senior management, lately, a mean-spirited attitude from management toward staff, the work is thankless, there are no performance incentives to raise the quality of work, exposure to co-workers of questionable mental stability who may lash out against you in insidious ways or in actual conspiracy with other colleagues.

Improve technology (this is very much in motion presently), value education and intellect (the TAP is a good start for developing staff), Listen to staff instead of spending millions on consultants who wind up telling you the same things, get rid of the people who wasted billions of dollars (they are mostly all still in the building), stop the Machiavellian fear game, reintroduce work-life balance, get rid of the low-level managers on power trips who are clearly unfit to have any sort of authority over people, allow more over-time opportunities for beleaguered staffers, discourage burnout and its staggering costs

Document Management

Former Employee - Document Management  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Document Management in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WSIB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It pays well (considering how easy the work is)

Good benefits (if you can ever get a permanent job)

Cons

Extremely lazy culture

Antiques for technology

Rampant nepotism

Hold employees accountable

Great place to work

I worked at WSIB as a contractor

Pros

Great working environment. Very pleasant collective. Interesting projects.

Cons

Management is not flexible enough.

Invest in segregation of duties.

Lots of change happening. New CEO that is moving the bar.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WSIB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Systems implementation occurring, new management personnel gradually joining the organization.

Cons

Upper management needs to turn-over

Long term employee with variety of opportunities to grow. Dynamic workplace with continuous change

Current Employee - Variety  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Variety in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WSIB full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to develop, grow, learn new skills. You need to look for them and be proactive.

Cons

Very beaurocratic, fear based management, micromanagement. Lots of change and reinventing the same wheel - the business stays the same.

Trust your people to do the right thing and they will. Look for opportunities to develop your staff and they will grow. Be prepared to make the tough decision and stand by it.

Worked for a "team"... not really

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WSIB as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Commute was not bad and met some nice people. Really not much to say as I haven't been there too long to comment on all the nice things.

Cons

All the stuff about "values" are only on paper. Not a great corporate environment. Typical govt. type organization. Couldn't stand the unprofessionalism and language of some of my ex-"team" members... some thought they were witty and funny and cool, but just sound obnoxious

Don't hire contractors to be managers... if you do at least make sure they are professional in their language and conversations and not given to bias.

Worked for WSIB? Contribute to the Community!