WSIB

Add Photos

WSIB President & CEO I. David Marshall

I. David Marshall

WSIB

Director (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsMeaningful work that makes a difference in the world.

ConsBureaucratic culture that is resistant to change.

Eligibility Adjudicator

Eligibility Adjudicator (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFabulous in class training with excellent compensation and benefits. Upon exiting the inclass training, you are extremely knowledgeable regarding WSIB legislation, policy and processes. If you are young with little or no work experience, this is excellent training to have on a resume.

ConsNegative political, call center environment. Micromanaged. Poor leadership lacking in sincere people skills. High turn over rates of new hires reflective of an unaccountable waste of training dollars and employer premiums. Poor work-life balance as a result of high turn over. Time off policies are renegged on due to short staffed issues. Personal growth - also renegged on noting those successful in competitions past and present are held back or called back, due to high exits (voluntary and otherwise). Promotions and personal growth offerred through competitions. however, unsure of how they actually select as very good, qualified people have recently applied to in house opportunities and been turned down. Unsupportive, power-tripping, politically evil management leading to poor employee morale overall. Our department does not have sufficient long term employees whose expertise can really be drawn on. This is not appear to be the case outside of Toronto office.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your new hires to genuinely meet success and eliminate the unnecessary volume we are working with. Please stop telling new training groups that this is not the job for everyone. Encourage the mentors to work with them to actuall ensure they stay, and not to power trip. Initial Entitlement Department is inadequately staffed as a result and the place looks like a ghost town, with a huge burden of work for those of us who have stayed. There should be be a genuine committment to personal growth, work - life balance and time off policies ie flex time and earned days off to help maintain a mentally healthy department.

Good employer for a long term career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWork life balance is very easily attainable, it is possible to grow and advance.

ConsAdvancement is difficult at times, organization is inconsistent in what it values in its employees and messaging. A lot of policitical interference from Queen's Park and appointments tend to be political. Each appointment brings with it a slate of new people loyal or hired by the most recent management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

blame game

ProsPays well, great benefits, well-located, job security (well, there used to be), has done a good job of ridding its staff with an outlandish sense of entitlement

ConsRampant nepotism and favouritism, outrageously top-heavy management, wrong people in management, too political, highly bureaucratic, something of an affirmative action styled promotion scheme in management where talented people are often kept down, cut-throat senior management, lately, a mean-spirited attitude from management toward staff, the work is thankless, there are no performance incentives to raise the quality of work, exposure to co-workers of questionable mental stability who may lash out against you in insidious ways or in actual conspiracy with other colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove technology (this is very much in motion presently), value education and intellect (the TAP is a good start for developing staff), Listen to staff instead of spending millions on consultants who wind up telling you the same things, get rid of the people who wasted billions of dollars (they are mostly all still in the building), stop the Machiavellian fear game, reintroduce work-life balance, get rid of the low-level managers on power trips who are clearly unfit to have any sort of authority over people, allow more over-time opportunities for beleaguered staffers, discourage burnout and its staggering costs

Document Management

Document Management (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt pays well (considering how easy the work is)

Good benefits (if you can ever get a permanent job)

ConsExtremely lazy culture

Antiques for technology

Rampant nepotism

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat working environment. Very pleasant collective. Interesting projects.

ConsManagement is not flexible enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in segregation of duties.

Lots of change happening. New CEO that is moving the bar.

Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSystems implementation occurring, new management personnel gradually joining the organization.

ConsUpper management needs to turn-over

Worked for a "team"... not really

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCommute was not bad and met some nice people. Really not much to say as I haven't been there too long to comment on all the nice things.

ConsAll the stuff about "values" are only on paper. Not a great corporate environment. Typical govt. type organization. Couldn't stand the unprofessionalism and language of some of my ex-"team" members... some thought they were witty and funny and cool, but just sound obnoxious

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire contractors to be managers... if you do at least make sure they are professional in their language and conversations and not given to bias.

Long term employee with variety of opportunities to grow. Dynamic workplace with continuous change

Variety (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of opportunities to develop, grow, learn new skills. You need to look for them and be proactive.

ConsVery beaurocratic, fear based management, micromanagement. Lots of change and reinventing the same wheel - the business stays the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people to do the right thing and they will. Look for opportunities to develop your staff and they will grow. Be prepared to make the tough decision and stand by it.

Loved the time I spent there

Eligibility Adjudicator (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFriendly coworkers, great environment, challenging work.

ConsIt's still who you know versus personal talents

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing a lot of great skilled professionals by not giving them a fair chance at a competition. My advice is: hire them and keep them, value them.

Worked for WSIB? Contribute to the Community!