WSP Group

Updated October 1, 2014
3.3

Pierre Shoiry

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Large professional organisation, where there are lots of opportunities, if you are in the CLUB.

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at WSP Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great professional people, very friendly and as a large organisation people from all over the world. Met some really nice people there and learnt a lot from the more mature and experienced people.
    The head office is really nice and modern, so working conditions were good.
    Benefits aren't the best but they are not bad and every month or two there are social nights where the staff enjoy a great night out to socialise with their colleagues, often subsidised by the company.

Cons

Opportunities for growth and progression are available only if you are able to put the extra effort in. I was working 45+ hours a week (contract 37.5) and still not good enough, it is frowned upon if you get off your seat at 5pm! The large projects and on site offices means moving locations and working with different staff all the time.

Try to inject a better work life balance in to your business and value your employees more as they are your business.

World class experience

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at WSP Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

From starting as a graduate the company has supported me in my personal development through to associate director level. They have constantly offered me new challenges and areas to grow, supporting me technically and managerially via internal and external courses and personally by backing city / office relocation. I have been trusted to make the right decisions in my career and assisted to grow and develop a specialist discipline.
    The project experience I have accrued I'm sure is second to none. I would highly recommend a career in WSP to anyone with the right attitude and work ethic.

Cons

The biggest challenge in a big company is communication, I've seen a number of strategies but I think we're getting there. A big company can also mean that decisions that affect your career are taken remotely from your direct line management, this can sometimes be difficult to reconcile as rewards must be distributed fairly in large teams, especially in hard economic times. I've seen this lead to motivation issues with certain roles / types of people.

Although I understand the difficulties in managing large teams and budgets I believe it is important that individual career paths are honoured to ensure motivation and key skill retention. The PDR process is commonly not taken seriously as it bares no real relationship to true effective progression. A culture of autonomy and personal responsibility must be fostered, the company must strive to be remain personal as it grows so all voices can be heard and all ideas assessed.
    A return to performance related bonuses would be welcomed by all and is essential to retain key staff.

Good place to work but tough times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at WSP Group

Pros

Pleasant work environment, good people on the whole, great new London office.

Cons

Salary cuts an everything else that comes with the current tough market.

Keep doing what you can in the current tough market.

WSP Group Photos