WSP Group

www.wspgroup.com

WSP Group Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
WSP Group – Ovidiu – “Site office in winter”

Pierre Shoiry

Satisfying

Credit Controller (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England (UK)

Prosmy office is well situated in the town, good working conditions and nice people - the company is recovering well after a few years of redundancies and is working well to uphold the company visions and values

ConsWSP's national and international status means lots of opportunities for staff to change jobs or move around meaning very little consistancy of work/staff in postions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWSP needs better consistancy of work company wide - we need to find a high level of work and ALL follow this...

Good benefits random projects, ok company for engineers not for architects

Architect (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits and leave policy, interesting projects, sometimes... Some offices are well appointed others not so much

ConsCompany is expanding, buying other companies, merging, leaving current employees in uncertain status. Goals and growth plan seem ill defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter define company's goals to motivate employees.

Focus on your current employees first

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood paid time off policy and some flexibility to the schedule. Fellow co-workers are friendly, hard working and will take the time to make sure the clients are happy. Solid amount of work and repeat clients.

ConsThere is little to no room to be promoted within. The company is more focused on buying other companies than trying to grow through new contracts and services. There is a focus on obtaining new employees to fill in gaps vs. promoting within. Each office is run differently. The pay is below market value, even though they stress that they want to be an "employer of choice". Year end bonuses are given to upper management while the people doing the day to day work get nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your current employees first. If you want to be an "employer of choice" then actually take action vs. just saying that. Cutting costs just to help the bottom line doesn't make you a better employer and doesn't help your employees. Grow the company with your current employees in mind

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company needs an overall of management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis company has great benefits and the coworkers are excellent. The company also seems to put forth a good effort to streamline departments.

ConsWithin the company you will find no structure or oganization. This is several departments across the board. When I came aboard the HR department was not very together. My paycheck was wrong and I had a hard time getting my benefits started. When I came to work in my department - trainning was non-exsisted. Not because management did not have time- but because management had no procedures in place to follow. This seems to be the norm here at WSP NY - I figured this out becuase like I was saying with my paycheck and benefits- several calls was made and nothing was done to correct the mistake. Even after speaking with the manager (T.V) she still managed to overpay me - Oh well, I guess I can use the extra cash

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management that has a background in the department they oversee

Good Company with interesting projects, But alot of office politics

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNce friendly colleagues, very professional and experienced.
    Nice office in a nice location.
    Good social events to build up relationship with co workers.

ConsLong hours, get dirty looks if you get up and leave at 5pm (even if you've done your hours!)
    Office politics and false promises
    Repetitive work.
    Hardly saw my line manager due to working in different locations.
    Hard to get training - need to do very long hours to even get a slight chance of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest into your staff first and your staff will be more willing to commit. Smaller closer teams, working together with line managers offer a better environment.

Not every one are or can be workaholics, they have other commitments in there life as well and they should not be penalised for this.

World class experience

Associate Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFrom starting as a graduate the company has supported me in my personal development through to associate director level. They have constantly offered me new challenges and areas to grow, supporting me technically and managerially via internal and external courses and personally by backing city / office relocation. I have been trusted to make the right decisions in my career and assisted to grow and develop a specialist discipline.
    The project experience I have accrued I'm sure is second to none. I would highly recommend a career in WSP to anyone with the right attitude and work ethic.

ConsThe biggest challenge in a big company is communication, I've seen a number of strategies but I think we're getting there. A big company can also mean that decisions that affect your career are taken remotely from your direct line management, this can sometimes be difficult to reconcile as rewards must be distributed fairly in large teams, especially in hard economic times. I've seen this lead to motivation issues with certain roles / types of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough I understand the difficulties in managing large teams and budgets I believe it is important that individual career paths are honoured to ensure motivation and key skill retention. The PDR process is commonly not taken seriously as it bares no real relationship to true effective progression. A culture of autonomy and personal responsibility must be fostered, the company must strive to be remain personal as it grows so all voices can be heard and all ideas assessed.
    A return to performance related bonuses would be welcomed by all and is essential to retain key staff.

Getting worse

Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNot far from home.
    Flex time
    Share purchase plan for employees
    Coffee, tea, and candies are provided for free!

ConsGreedy
    Lack of professionalism
    Limited career growth opportunities
    Low salaries
    Business units are disconnected
    Turnover seems to be getting higher
    Favouritism
    No mentorship

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people better before you say they are an asset.

Some good times and some other times

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsFlexible work schedule, reasonable compensation and benefits, interesting work.

ConsAdministration tasks often infuriating, but some improvement in recent years. Not enough cooperation between different departments and groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage people as well as the numbers. Be more activve in retraining talented employees from groups with work slowdowns.

One of the best engineering consultancy.

Senior Product Environmental Compliance Engineer (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Prossalary offer is great here.

Conscan't say anything for now

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

Excellent

Assistant Consultant (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGreat experience and work ethic, very helpful collogues from the ones on your level to the management above

Consno cons come to mind

Worked for WSP Group? Contribute to the Community!