WSP Group Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.1

Pierre Shoiry

A challenging but fulfilling experience for any entry level engineer in training.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WSP Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Able to accommodate for new, young employees. Great future ahead for the company. Excellent care of the employees.

Cons

Not many cons that I can consider for this company so far in my experience.

Typical corporate, mep office in the DC area.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at WSP Group full-time

Pros

A good place to start your career and gain experience. There's plenty of work.
    They're hiring.

Cons

The deadlines between submissions are too close!
    Dull working environment. Not a good place to be if you would like a little work life balance, but the new office VP is making strides to improve the office morale and environment.
    Easy to become burned out.

Deadlines between submissions need to be scheduled more appropriately.
    Offer more flexibility for work options and perhaps the turnover rate will decrease.

A well-run office in San Francisco working on many different types of building projects, large and small.

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WSP Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work on multiple different projects at a time, gives lots of exposure to different designs. Good mix of young, recent graduates and more experienced engineers gives the office an energetic yet knowledgeable feel; great place to start and advance a career. All project managers and senior staff very approachable and wiling to answer questions or give advice. Large growth in the Bay Area for commercial (and residential) buildings. Looking forward to more integration across market sectors (structural, transportation, environmental, etc).

Cons

Staff expansion due to large volume of work and global merger with Genivar. Still doesn't seem too corporate and bureaucratic, but could in the near future if national management doesn't keep this in mind. Lots of projects means many deadlines that often require more hours. Not much formal training other than on actual projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits random projects, ok company for engineers not for architects

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at WSP Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and leave policy, interesting projects, sometimes... Some offices are well appointed others not so much

Cons

Company is expanding, buying other companies, merging, leaving current employees in uncertain status. Goals and growth plan seem ill defined.

Better define company's goals to motivate employees.

Focus on your current employees first

Current Employee - Structural Engineer
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer

I have been working at WSP Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good paid time off policy and some flexibility to the schedule. Fellow co-workers are friendly, hard working and will take the time to make sure the clients are happy. Solid amount of work and repeat clients.

Cons

There is little to no room to be promoted within. The company is more focused on buying other companies than trying to grow through new contracts and services. There is a focus on obtaining new employees to fill in gaps vs. promoting within. Each office is run differently. The pay is below market value, even though they stress that they want to be an "employer of choice". Year end bonuses are given to upper management while the people doing the day to day work get nothing.

Focus on your current employees first. If you want to be an "employer of choice" then actually take action vs. just saying that. Cutting costs just to help the bottom line doesn't make you a better employer and doesn't help your employees. Grow the company with your current employees in mind

Company needs an overall of management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WSP Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has great benefits and the coworkers are excellent. The company also seems to put forth a good effort to streamline departments.

Cons

Within the company you will find no structure or oganization. This is several departments across the board. When I came aboard the HR department was not very together. My paycheck was wrong and I had a hard time getting my benefits started. When I came to work in my department - trainning was non-exsisted. Not because management did not have time- but because management had no procedures in place to follow. This seems to be the norm here at WSP NY - I figured this out becuase like I was saying with my paycheck and benefits- several calls was made and nothing was done to correct the mistake. Even after speaking with the manager (T.V) she still managed to overpay me - Oh well, I guess I can use the extra cash

Get new management that has a background in the department they oversee

Good Management of projects, very organised, pay is less

Former Employee - Structural Engineer  in  Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Noida (India)

I worked at WSP Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good exposure to learn, open to new ideas, less politics

Cons

growth is less, salaries are not that good

Invest in people to retain them

Great minds working with important projects.

I worked at WSP Group

Pros

People are really passionate about their work and the impact it has on the world and society. You feel like your part of something important.

Cons

The business side is tough in that industry. Every hour counts and keeping projects in scope/budget is not always easy.

Keep up the good work and dialogue with your people.

Satisfying, but need more focus on developing existing talent

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at WSP Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A top-tier engineering consulting firm with great learning opportunities. Each employee gets full exposure to different groups at WSP and learn on different types of engagements.

Cons

The salary is below industry standards. The company needs to develop a focus on helping employees grow professionally through training and workshops, etc.

A little more transparency would be great to lift employee morale and keep them engaged in the work.

Good Company with interesting projects, But alot of office politics

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at WSP Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nce friendly colleagues, very professional and experienced.
    Nice office in a nice location.
    Good social events to build up relationship with co workers.

Cons

Long hours, get dirty looks if you get up and leave at 5pm (even if you've done your hours!)
    Office politics and false promises
    Repetitive work.
    Hardly saw my line manager due to working in different locations.
    Hard to get training - need to do very long hours to even get a slight chance of training.

Invest into your staff first and your staff will be more willing to commit. Smaller closer teams, working together with line managers offer a better environment.

Not every one are or can be workaholics, they have other commitments in there life as well and they should not be penalised for this.

Worked for WSP Group? Contribute to the Community!