WTS Paradigm Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Nathan Herbst

Slow but steady improvement.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Middleton, WI

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Very exciting products coming out of R&D. Middle management with good vision and dedication to growing resources.

Cons

Upper management sometimes misses the mark with investing in infrastructure and investing in employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to winnow the bottom 10% of talent and continue incentivizing top performers. Invest in efficiencies, both in replacing home grown internal tools and investing in top hardware for the people in the trenches. Continue to focus on customer satisfaction - only when the customer is happy are we proving our value and strategic partnership.

Micromanaged

Former Employee - Software Developer in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Middleton, WI

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, and fun coworkers. There are also quite a few clubs and groups that are fun to join. Everything besides the work itself is great.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. You have to track every minute of what you do, ostensibly so the customers can be billed correctly. In reality management also uses this to quantify how productive you were, and every few months the people with the worst numbers from each department are cut, and if a department performs "poorly" overall the manager may be cut too. This is all very hush-hush, so you have no idea that you're in danger of getting cut until it's too late. They'll warn you that you have 30 days to be more productive or you'll be let go, but by that point they're going to let you go no matter what you do. Of the 15 or so people I personally knew (including some managers and project leads) only 2 still work there. Everyone else got clipped or quit from the stress.

Advice to Management

The whole management system needs to be overhauled if it's ever going to be anything but a revolving door.

Customers run the business policies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entry level employees or the ground floor are very friendly. Most hang out after work. Very easy to shift the blame around for lazy employees. Nobody ever gets fired. Some growth potential although not as much as it used to be.

Cons

Customers run the whole show. They will gladly throw away and principles or standard practices if someone ways a check around. As a result the actual "workers" get trampled and ignored. Top performers are rewarded with additional work. Bottom people are never taken to task. If you enjoy working for sub part salaries while anyone with the title of manager gets over paid this is the place for you. They seem to reward people inverse to their workload. Decision makers are far removed from the process.

Advice to Management

The whole lot should quit or change places with their money makers Some real world experience in the trenches would serve well. Do not depend on planners or managers for critical decision s on their product. Also make a good product and people will buy it without the need to sacrifice standards.

Not Afraid to Challenge Status Quo – May Not Be for Everyone

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at WTS Paradigm is a unique challenge that I have not experienced at other companies. It is important for the company to continue to challenge the way we do things and continue to innovate to stay competitive in the industry and deliver value to our customers. The company is not afraid to try new things and learn along the way. I like working at the company because it has challenged me to learn, adapt and think differently about business. It is exciting to explore new processes and products and watch them evolve. Working for a small company, I can perform a number of roles, work on key projects, contribute and really make a difference to the company and our customers. I work with many talented and smart people. I am proud to work for a company that is a leader in the industry and continues to innovate and develop new products that will keep us there. The company supports a work hard/play hard culture – we have many fun events throughout the year, seems like something for everyone - city scour, running, biking, gaming, family events, pet lovers, check out the company’s Facebook page! Great coffee! Benefits are great – especially for a small company. Health insurance rates are lower than other places that I have worked. There is a get-a-way benefit where the company reimburses employees for some travel expenses for “getting away.” If you like challenge, change and growth this is a great place to work, it’s not for everyone.

Cons

Like every company there are areas to improve. The rapid company growth has resulted in a renewed focus on our customers and changed how we work.

Advice to Management

I recommend the company improve how they manage and share knowledge throughout the company.

Challenging, Fast-Paced Work Environment with Great People

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time

Pros

- Exceptional co-workers who are ready for the next challenge, bright, creative, and hardworking - The office culture and events are fantastic and allow you to get to know others quickly, especially with the growth the company has experienced over the last few years - The business is focused on developing people and new technology to support the industry - Being owned by an entrepreneur, the culture is one of ideas, many of which are used if you voice your opinion. This has also led to opportunity for advancement - Overall, WTS has been a great place to work. The company is not the same as it was years ago because of growth, but that is to be expected

Cons

- Many internal processes that could be streamlined - Still trying to catch up from recent growth

Advice to Management

- Continue to grow the business and trust your leadership team to make decisions that support the growth plans and goals - Continue the efforts started to measure and improve customer satisfaction

Smart people and the market leader

Pros

Filled with top performers who want to make a difference, people rally around a customer request or issue, growing its customer base and product offerings in the market, many industry experts, and continually look for creative ways to get things done.

Cons

There are quite a few internal meetings, some of them could be cut back. I believe there are several internal processes that could be streamlined to make people more efficient.

Advice to Management

I would like to see a formal fenestration industry training tract to ramp up new employees.

Demoralizing

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will like your grunt-level teammates. They're generally good people who are fun to work with.

Cons

You are paid below industry average. Raises will not cover inflation let alone increases in insurance premiums. You will not be given the tools you need to succeed. Training is nearly non-existent, timelines are unrealistic, and management is focused solely on figuring out ways to bill customers for everything we do. Budgets and time entry take up most of your time here, not your actual work for customers. Making suggestions for improvements is encouraged, but then never acted on. Emails to coworkers and managers go unanswered for days, sometimes weeks. Quality is something management talks about a lot, but they have an understaffed QA team that is constantly scapegoated, and not given resources to do their work. Dev and QA are not allowed to make decisions on whether software ships, it's all about customer deadlines. Company events are fun, but will be planned on days of major software releases when it is least convenient for average level workers or customers. Development is often outsourced to developers in China, and it can be difficult to work with the differing time zone and language barrier.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your entry-level employees like replaceable chattel. Have a solid business plan that re-invests funds into the business and stop nickel and diming customers. Outsourcing development and QA to China might be cheap, but it affects quality in a serious way and is not the best strategy. Hire employees locally, invest in them, train them, and keep them happy and invested in making a quality product. Compensate employees fairly, offer opportunities for upward movement in the company. Do not make culturally-based jokes about international customers at company meetings.

You Won't Make a Difference Here

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time

Pros

The average Joe Schmo employee here is awesome. You will love your coworkers. The company activities are fun and well-organized. If your only interest in employment is to gain a group of friends and you are fun and nerdy, then this is the place for you.

Cons

However, if you have some lingering spark inside you that likes to enjoy a job well done, you really pride yourself on your work, or you enjoy the benefits of your hard work when they pay off in a meaningful final product (whether that product is a thing or is just a task completed), then this isn't the place for you. Get used to disappointment if you take a job here. Your work will not be appreciated. What is appreciated is your ability to generate revenue through creating spin - essentially if you can bumble your way into forcing customers to spend more money, and if the work can then be done by you, then you will be appreciated. If you happen to be non-billable staff, or want to do non-billable tasks that help your coworkers or the software, you will be shunned by management as a troublemaker and dinged in your reviews. You may have big ideas to change this mindset, you may spend hours and days thinking about how to solve those serious organizational problems, but you will be wasting your time as the problems start right from the top, and any manager who tries to change the attitude at the top will be fired or quit. You will see managers who promise change come and go, the whole while telling you you just need to try harder, then leave for the same issues you're having. If you enjoy a Sisyphean job, then you may enjoy it here. If not, get prepared for constant disappointment.

Need to respect customers and employees before both are driven away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time

Pros

Our coworkers are mostly intelligent, motivated, hard-working and overall great to work with. Work/life balance is typically good under most circumstances, with limited "crunch times".

Cons

Management decisions seem to be short-sighted and made with little to no input from those the decisions affect. On top of that, often the same decisions are reversed, leading to confusion and an impression that management doesn't really know what they are doing. The middle managers I have interacted with either don't have the guts to stand up to upper management or legitimately have no authority to make decisions and upper management seem to be unwilling to back them when they try to make decisions, with the typical reason given being "lack of budget". Salaries are below market averages across all positions, insurance rates are high and keep rising, and raises are typically marginally below inflation unless you have a habit of kissing up to the correct managers (not always your own). Developers, have been leaving in droves over the past 6-9 months and almost none are being replaced. Most remaining developers have either been with the company for 3 years or less, or nearly a decade or more, with few in between. With so many leaving and the amount of "tribal" knowledge that exists in the company with little to no documentation on most topics, there are chunks of information simply cease to exist as people walk out the door. Many other departments are shrinking as well, with the only department that continues to grow being sales. Customers are treated as cash cows to be milked for every penny. Most major problems in our software remain until someone can find a customer that is impacted enough that they are willing to pay to fix it. Until then, we often do nothing because of a lack of resources, and if we fix it to improve software quality, we can't charge any customer for the work performed. Overall, pride in our software is relatively low and seems to be getting worse as our core product offerings age ungracefully. According to surveys, our customers at best dislike us and our software, with the primary reason cited being our employees are inexperienced and/or don't know their systems. They feel like they are always speaking to someone new every few months and have to re-train our employees on the specifics of their system, and so have an understandable lack of faith in our abilities. With so many developers leaving and so much analyst turnover, their concerns are more well-founded than they know.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and customers. Stop trying to take advantage of your customers in the short-term or they won't remain for the long-term. Treat your employees with respect and they will sing your praises; the lack of respect combined with sub-par pay and benefits is killing your reputation as an employer, and hurting relationships with customers. Remember that WTS was founded by listening to customers and being responsive to them unlike our competition at the time. We are fast becoming like those competitors that we forced out of business and if we don't start changing how we do business, another upstart that does will likely replace us.

Needs to slow down, pick a strategy and stay with it

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bright, hardworking, energetic co-workers. Decent benefits, lots of fun events for employees to mingle

Cons

Pay is less than market, you have to work crazy hours just to get projects done in the time frame expected, and the turnover is so high that it does no good to track down SMEs...they'll just be gone in a month or two. The company states that customer partnership is a core value, but the focus is more on how to squeeze every dime out of billable hours than actually being able to partner with customers.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer satisfaction rather than on how much money each staff member brought in last month in billable hours. Promote people to management because they will make good managers, not just because they've done their time. Decide on a strategy and stick with it longer than 6 months. Most of all, live up to your core values or consider changing them.

RSS Feed </> Embed