WW&R

Updated February 12, 2015
Updated February 12, 2015
2.1

Scott Weltman

Pros
  • Good benefits and vacation time when you start from day one (in 14 reviews)

• Also, the pay and benefits are good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the upper management is a problem (in 4 reviews)

• Go to lunch for an hour then come back and heat up their lunch and shut their door (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Legal Assistant

I worked at WW&R

Pros

Pay was good, the benefits were good.

Cons

Unprofessional and liars. Upper management makes all the profit due to the business scale. They will layoff to keep upper management with high salaries and stocks.

Be truthful

You've lost that loving feeling!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at WW&R full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid time off up front and ability to purchase more after a year, if you don't get a write up. Medical decent although it's pricey. Flexible Spending is a huge plus. 401k good. Okay salary for someone without a degree. Some really good people in the trenches. Lifelong friends made here over 10+ years.

Cons

I thought I would retire here. When I started I loved it. It was a larger company with a mom & pop feel. You felt appreciated for a good days work.

Then they started hiring directors and upper management that are nothing more than used car salesman. Everything went downhill from there. Why? They truly don't care about their employees. They only care about profit. They only offer lip service. They have town halls & feel good meetings that are filled with more garbage than a landfill. Nothing but empty promises.

Where are the better clients? Why are we taking business that is beneath our good name? Horrible sales staff is a huge issue. Don't even get me started on Human Resources. They are a joke, they rarely back those who deserve it, especially good management. It's all fluff to avoid the dreaded lawsuit.

This company expects way more than they give now. The famous line for the last two years? Work more with less! That work load is unrealistic and collections is micromanaged to death by those who have either never collected or haven't since the 90's. New rules internally ( most way above government regulatory standards) are so restrictive you can't collect anything near a decent bonus anymore. At every angle you can lose your job, but they offer no relief.

Please do not look to the government regulations for all your failures. It's pretty simple. It's your sales team, quality monitor team and horrible high rung management making decisions. It's really very disappointing. I don't know a single person who feels like their job is safe anymore from clerical staff to lower rung management. It's like being on the Titanic.

To sum the last few years up, I'll leave you with this : For many of the long time employees it's like being in an abusive relationship where you started out so in love, looking forward to living out your lives together and now you cling to empty promises of a better tomorrow while getting your teeth kicked in at every turn.

Pull your head out ! Stop promoting the worst of the worst to Assist Directors or Directors. Listen more, and when you do listen hear what's said instead of formulating your response. Talk less, way less. Too many wasted hours in meetings where nothing is really ever accomplished. Stop being fake. We aren't all sheep. Show some respect, you'll get more.

Scrap your sales staff and anyone above manager level. Most of them are clueless, don't care about staff and getting rid of them saves the jobs for those who know what they're doing.

Include people who actually work in the trenches when you choose systems, vendors or best practices.

Fyi: if you don't think the "little people" are smart enough to see through the bull, you're way off base. The masses don't really believe anything you say or promise anymore. No one who has been here for the last few years has missed the mass exodus of partners, management or long time employees either. Not having a law or business degree doesn't make you blind. However your many degrees obviously didn't improve your morals or common sense either. You've failed miserably over the last few years. First decent job out of this field ( yes you've tainted it ) and I'm happily taking it. By the way, 90% of the good, decent , hardworking staff I know feels the same way. Expect another mass exodus of good employees over the next year.

I thought I found my permanent home....AND THEN I got sick...boy did it change!

Former Employee - Subrogation in Brooklyn Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Subrogation in Brooklyn Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at WW&R full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In the beginning communication was very good. Most people were nice.

Cons

Lies lies and more lies. They tell you one thing and then BAM they hit you right out of left field. Managment mostly depends on the team leads for advice on how to run the department and if the team lead doesnt like you...which mine didnt...they WILL find a way to get rid of you. I finished at 180% of goal but was hospitalized for 3 days. They fired me for "excessive absence" and poor performance!

grow some! dont rely on backstabbing employees to make your decisions. Look at performance, dont make excuses and get rid of the problem child! even if it is your team lead! Maybe that person is the reason you cant keep anyone in your department.

Horrible

I worked at WW&R

Pros

Benefits not bad. Decent medical plan

Cons

If you have any desire to have a family life, do not take this job. They demand full alligence to the firm- kind of like a cult mentality.

People have lives outside of the job.

This is the collectors graveyard. Young and passionate? Don't waste your time here.

I have been working at WW&R full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Two years ago this would have been very easy to fill up with 20 words. Now it's really hard to think of any. You get 16 days off a year. The dress code is casual. You have an easy system to work on (Artiva) from a collectors point of view.

Cons

They say the company is based on values. Management reflects none of those. Integrity at the forefront. The entire office is ruled by politics and feelings. Anything that is in writing will be changed depending on who is asking and how the person is feeling that is being asked. There is absolutely no opportunity for advancement at all. The Pre-Legal Department in Brooklyn Heights could be 100% more productive than it is but management is completely clueless of anything that is going on. Insurance is incredibly expensive and not good at all.

Really take a look at how things are being ran in your Brooklyn Heights Pre-Legal department. It's under performing for a reason and it can't keep people there for a reason. Stop moving bonuses up and down depending on how what was produced the month prior. If you had a set figure every month that people knew wouldn't change then you would be able to retain quality employees and collectors. Instead your now left with a group of people who know they have no chance to make thousands of dollars and come to work to wait till it's time to leave.

Turn around and don't look back

I have been working at WW&R full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a few select co-workers that I trust and enjoy working with, other than that, NONE!

Cons

Management is a joke. A legion of fools from the CEO, to the Partners, to the uneducated morons they've given supervisor and management titles to. Why do this you ask? To save a few dollars toward the multimillion dollar system upgrade that executives failed MISERABLY on delivering. In my opinion I see more layoffs in this company's future. Don't bother, you won't last anyway.

Try promoting upper management from within for a change. Quit looking for talent outside of the organization. You know, the ones who think they will come in and reinvent the wheel, but actually took your Firm and are systematically dismantling it piece by piece. Sure the firm saw hard times here and there but it was the industry, not the good people you laid off in order to replace them with baboons who are currently in charge.

Okay place to work... until they downsize 4 times within 1 year, yet the workload does not change.

I worked at WW&R full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Most coworkers were nice.
    -Most attorneys were friendly and easily accessible.
    -Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

-Training is honestly pretty bad. You are taught something within one day and expected to do it the next, without much help. There is a lot of being thrown to the wolves.
    -There were no raises for over 2 years and when they finally allowed raises, it was less than 2%, of an already low salary.
    -Flex time was offered in the handbook, yet most departments did not allow for it, as there was not enough staff to cover shifts, if someone was missing.
    -Workload kept increasing, yet no staff was ever hired to help. They expected 1 person to do 3-4 people's jobs and make the same amount of pay.
    -No incentive to stay with company. The pay was not competitive and they did not offer much in boosting employees moral.

Focus on more training. It was always said that the departments needed to avoid mistakes to save money, yet they would not train long enough and would want 1 person to do jobs that 2-3 people should have been doing.

Horrid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at WW&R full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

End of year holiday party

Cons

Plenty of PTO but you are punished for using it. Lying and backstabbing by upper managment

Great at the start but at the end kind of hurt!!

Former Employee - Processing Clerk in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Processing Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at WW&R full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be very family driven everyone seemed to care about each other and get along. great health care and pto.

Cons

Micro manage, took person out of the job basically made you a robot, don't care anymore, alot back stabbing high school like bs, unrealistic goals. Work area needs to be cleaner

LISTEN to few people left that have been there for more then 10 years, give them chances to advance, and if they try don't use it punish them for trying to advance, go back to some of the ways when it was a great place to work. UPDATE your systems to be more client friendly.

Good experience, but tough in a down market

I worked at WW&R full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are great - really dedicated, hard-working, knowledgeable, caring people.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges is that the company's business model requires a credit market in which people have at least some available cash with which to pay their creditors. Due to the decrease in credit lending following the market collapse in 2008, the availability of assets to seize to provide a return to the clients has dwindled. Further, credit lending was not very active in the years since then, although it appears to be loosening now.

These conditions are not the fault of employees, but the production quotas are rarely revised downward to reflect the changes in the market or in the clients' business portfolios. This is, I believe, what led to the layoffs and the general tenor of the reviews I've read so far. When upper level management people are not getting the return that they have become accustomed to, they lean on the next management level below them, and so on, until the people on the line feel pressured to produce something that the market cannot sustain.

As a result, the work environment is very high-pressured, and even though people continue to work hard, there are not enough hours in the day to do everything that is required to just do the good job that everyone seems motivated to do. "Burnout" is a pretty common malady. Management will pass this off as "it's a high-pressure environment that some people just can't handle," when in fact, it is as much a result of management's failure to accurately project receivables as it is a lack of productivity.

Take a more realistic look at what has to be done - individual step-by-step process - as you look to set benchmarks, rather than just blame the workers. Just because the Army didn't do things this way doesn't mean that the Army was right.

Get rid of the ageism and the derogatory attitude toward anyone over the age of 30.

Build at least one level of duplication into the positions; have a designated cover person, so that PTO doesn't mean that the work isn't done.

Build some "looking out the window" time into the allocation of work - don't put so much on people's plates that they cannot absorb work for someone on their team who takes a personal day, or that they can't stop everything to give their full attention to a client who is having an issue without getting so far behind.

Fewer meetings!!