WYSS Institute

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014
4.2

CEO

Very modern and smart people!

Former Employee - Research in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research in Cambridge, MA

I worked at WYSS Institute as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Beautful work benches and states of the lab space. Fast paced.

Cons

People work long hours, but that can be good too.

Keep it up!

A collaborative environment bridging academic and industrially relevant research, but needs work.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at WYSS Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive resources available to carry out research.
    Recruits highly motivated and highly intelligent scientific talent.
    Openly promotes cross lab collaborations.

Cons

In a transition period from a small startup institute to a much larger almost corporate structure. Still going through these growing pains especially on the administrative side.
    Seems to have a mental block for promoting upward movement for scientists, especially graduate students and postdocs. This seems strange considering the advertised philosophy of creating an academic research environment that more closely mirrors biotech and industry.

The scientists, their ideas and research outcomes, are the reason that the Wyss institute thrives. Consider more deeply developing a business environment that fosters upward career trajectories, especially for graduating PhDs and postdocs. Why squander scientific talent that has been invested in for years by forcing out scientists due to requiring industrial experience for upper level positions? If more business centric experience is desired, then provide opportunities for training/continuing Ed.

Postdoc researcher

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at WYSS Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing environment, loads of research money and tremendous freedom to pursue independent research areas

Cons

Little interaction between the different labs

Great in terms of the insight I was given to latest technology and devices, not so good with the lab staff

I worked at WYSS Institute

Pros

Devices at Wyss Institute are amazing, researching here you get insight to latest bioinspired technology and techniques. This institute is hard working, efficient and is always producing state of the art technology that will be beneficial in various areas of infrastructure and medical technology. If you are interested in becoming a biomedical or biochemical engineer this is definitely the place for you and will give you great ideas in developing your own technology and devices.

Cons

Scientist was not easy to work with, didn't learn as much as I thought I would. I had to teach myself about the device I was working on because the scientist was cocky, lazy and ignorant to my opinion and understanding of the device I was working on which was still pretty good. Lab settings and staff vary everywhere even at one of the world's top research institutes, maybe this was just my experience with the scientist I worked with.

awesome collaborative environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WYSS Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the smartest scientists in the world, flexible hours, beautiful labs, state of the art equipment, whiteboards everywhere for collaboration, extremely large amounts of funding opportunities

Cons

can be overwhelming and unfriendly, principal investigators are rarely in the lab