Wabash National

I liked working at Wabash National

Former Employee - Fabrication  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Fabrication in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Wabash National full-time for less than a year

Pros

the work was good, I liked working in the fabrication department. The people I worked with were friendly and I had a good working with them

Cons

I had a problem with one employee which cost me my job. I am sorry how I handle the problem with him.

I really did not have any problems with management

Decent work for a factory and you are treated well by management.

Former Employee - Assembler  in  Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Assembler in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro to working here in my honest opinion is you can get lucky with your immediate and upper management. I was lucky enough to have a super awesome down to earth and super friendly immediate supervisor and coordinator. Depending on the department you are assigned to it can be very easy (and unfortunately boring) work. Most (see cons) of your co-workers are easy to get along with and since you all do the same thing you can joke about around about work in between cycles. The company definitely has a positive outlook and I knew the trainer from a previous job I worked with him at (he was there part-time on top of Wabash at the time). I'd say if you don't mind sweating ALOT and doing a lot of manual labor for the same pay as a retail or sales position somewhere else then inquire about a position.

Cons

Being forced to work 6 days a week up to 48 Hours in my time there in a factory environment was not something I particularly enjoyed. Some people like to work themselves to death just for that little bit of overtime just so they can pay their fancy car bill. I worked with someone very young that voluntarily worked 12 hours everyday by staying 4 hours over every night just because he loved making a couple hundred extra dollars every week. He literally only worked and slept during the week and I never understand how people can do that to themselves. I was also teased during my time in "blue" about how I needed to be faster. This was by another employee not any management. Not much I could do about it because he himself was particularly fast and well-liked. My speed was in fact just fine after querying my coordinator on the issue. At certain times because of overhead and slowdown in other departments you have idle time which is great if love standing and doing nothing on concrete but even after sweeping in and around the whole department and sorting nuts and bolts while others are sitting on the rails talking it gets old. The break system is a little inferior to most places in my opinion as well. For a diabetic getting a 20 minute lunch after 4 hours in and only a ten minute break 2 hours before your shift ends is a little too risky. I ultimately left the company due to not being able to control my blood sugar very well with their break schedule. I would certainly recommend Wabash to anyone with a fully functional pancreas and doesn't particularly want to work in a field relating to customer service of any kind and you just prefer labor.

Keep a better eye on your employees who just mess around and talk in between cycles. Often times the blue shirts are doing more work than the red shirts.

This place is a joke

Current Employee - Clyder  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Clyder in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy hard work, you will like this job at first.

Cons

I worked here for 10 months and only got to learn two jobs. I worked as a Clyder (a jack-hammer type of equipment that put screws into the floor) for 9 months until they finally took me off the floor to learn the Floor Drill Gantry. Clyding is by far the most physically demanding job at Wabash and should be avoided at all costs. My whole body felt like it was falling apart after 4 straight months of this job. At first I busted my butt thinking I would get noticed for my hard work but all they do is take full advantage of this. The lazy people work even less so that you are forced to pick up the slack. I was even told by established workers there to slow down my work otherwise I would have to do more work. What a terrible method of doing your job!

This is suppose to be a tobacco free campus but most everybody smokes in the parking lot and chews while on the job. I usually wouldn't care but they would spit on the floor and would throw their chew on the floor too. It was disgusting and smelled terrible. I was amazed to hear that English was the second language here. It was extremely hard to communicate with 60% of my co-workers because they spoke little to no English.

For the hard work you put in and the fact that this is a $2 billion company, their pay is horrendous! $12 to start out, 6 years to cap off, $1000 annual bonus, and no incentives. The average warehouse pay is $15 in Indiana and most give 6 month raises with incentives for hitting certain numbers. Not to mention the bonus pay for the an office position is $10,000 annually.

Major overhaul needs to be done from the ground up. Training needs to be extended to a full week to train for ALL the jobs at the warehouse.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved it......

Former Employee - Metal Fab  in  Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Metal Fab in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Loved all the people I worked with in Metal Fab...:)

Cons

One mistake and your gone......

Think about who you let go!

It was good

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern  in  Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National part-time for less than a year

Pros

decent pay, good management program. they pay for tuition and have good bonuses

Cons

Hard to move up in the company. The pay is ok but could be better

Not bad!

Former Employee - Glue Line  in  Harrison, AR
    Former Employee - Glue Line in Harrison, AR

I worked at Wabash National full-time for less than a year

Pros

They give you health benefits as well as decent pay.

Cons

The work isn't always the easiest.

im a forklift driver also a crane operator and receiving handler.

Current Employee - Forklift Driver  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

at one time the employer took care of their good workers. not any more

Cons

trying to keep the lines working doing my job and other people jobs. some people come to work to play I come here to do a job and I take my work serious.

you come to work to be people supervisor not their friends if you mix the two together on the job it can cause serious problems.

Great internship with supportive engineering staff

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern  in  Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Was able to work on multiple projects in different areas over the course of the internship. Staff was highly supportive and gave opportunities for design reviews. Received very little busy work over.

Cons

For an engineering internship the salary was lower than expected. Additionally could have received a larger amount education regarding the company earlier in the internship.

Increase internship salary to a more competitive value.

The CEO is wonderful, but he needs to clean house a bit

I worked at Wabash National full-time

Pros

There are some fantastic people with phenomenal ideas working at WNC
    They are in the enviable position of growing after many, many years of shedding jobs
    Certain departments have a real "family company" feel to them

Cons

The departments are so silo-ed they were working against each other

Changes in the departments at HQ happen at a glacial pace

When someone points out somewhere that the company is hemorrhaging money, the management is so afraid of change and too afraid to admit the mistake, they sweep it under the rug and stick their heads in the sand and stick to the way "its always been done".

The budgets of certain departments are made up instead of basing them on real numbers

If someone comes in with ideas or suggestions to make positive changes that have worked in similar companies in a similar industry, they are moved into a menial job off by themselves until they quit.

People are fired just for not getting along with their boss, or the yes men who surround them

This is a company that truly needs an overhaul. There are very few people in management that are PRO change. Their Financial Departments appear to be moving forward, and with the new HR Management, they are making big strides with HR, but the IT Department management needs to be wiped out and started fresh from the outside and the Plant Floor management needs to spend some time working in one of the big 5 auto plants to get some hands on experience from people who roll 10 times as many vehicles out the door every day. IT and Plant Floor are overly certain they know what's best and run a "good ol' boys club" where they protect eachother. I saw positive changes with the hiring of new HR and Financial management, but don't stop there. If you want change, you won't be successful with the same management staff in IT and Plant Floor. Oh, and by the way, your Sales Management needs the most work. They need some sort of CRM application for their contacts, and stop holding on to email for 10 years just so they can maintain all of their contact information. If all of your top management have been at the top for more than 5 years, they are dead wood. They need to keep going back to the well of knowledge for training and in service days at other manufacturing companies to keep sharpening the saw. You got a lot of "lame duck politicians" at the top right now punching the clock till retirement. They are wasting your time.

this company is great to work with. They care about there employees and family.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This has company has great benefits, very professional, great pay

Cons

none. they are great company

yes advancements are possible every day.

Worked for Wabash National? Contribute to the Community!