Wabash National Reviews

1. Production Associate/Fabrication Operator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time

Pros

Good group of employees. Realy hard working and congenial attitude

Cons

Terrible working conditions. Benefits package is lacking to non-existent. They will try to hold back your promotions for as long as possible while requiring you to do the work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth This is 2015 not 1864.

2. Engineer

I worked at Wabash National full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO is awesome and is willing to listen. Having managers that were willing to listen to ideas and understand what needed to be done. Managers who gave the employee the ability to shine although directors and higher didn't want to listen.

Cons

Don't hire managers who don't know about the business and are not willing to listen to the employees who have the experience.

Advice to Management

During my time here I went through 4 managers. My last manager was hired 3 years after me and couldn't understand why I had so much respect from senior leadership. . Since , we didn't get along and I had more respect than he did from senior leadership, he decided to try and sabotage my work ethic. That didn't work. Make sure management listens and takes into consideration employee ideas, especially the one's who have been there.

3. Not a bad Place to work.

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Monticello, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Monticello, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of Overtime if wanted without issue

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities due to shifting of unqualified associates/coordinators/supervisors to departments where they lack the technical skills and experience to perform. Lack of Technical Educational Opportunities which when made available are not awarded to dedicated associates but are instead extended to Salaried Personnel as Resume enhancement.

Advice to Management

Promote Associates by Ability , in their Departments but not base promotions solely on time in service.

5. Great Company

I have been working at Wabash National full-time

Pros

Management is really starting to get the picture. They are dedicated to becoming the best in the business and are starting to focus more on safety and quality everyday.

Cons

Departments work in silos. Very little collaboration at times.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!

6. Decent Company

Pros

good learning in the IT department

Cons

i did not see any cons

7. Good Place to work

Former Employee - Program Manager/Plant Manager in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Program Manager/Plant Manager in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pays very well with good benefits

Cons

Departmental Islands cause issues in the ranks

8. I liked working at Wabash National

Former Employee - Fabrication in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Fabrication in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Wabash National full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the work was good, I liked working in the fabrication department. The people I worked with were friendly and I had a good working with them

Cons

I had a problem with one employee which cost me my job. I am sorry how I handle the problem with him.

Advice to Management

I really did not have any problems with management

9. Decent work for a factory and you are treated well by management.

Former Employee - Assembler in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Assembler in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro to working here in my honest opinion is you can get lucky with your immediate and upper management. I was lucky enough to have a super awesome down to earth and super friendly immediate supervisor and coordinator. Depending on the department you are assigned to it can be very easy (and unfortunately boring) work. Most (see cons) of your co-workers are easy to get along with and since you all do the same thing you can joke about around about work in between cycles. The company definitely has a positive outlook and I knew the trainer from a previous job I worked with him at (he was there part-time on top of Wabash at the time). I'd say if you don't mind sweating ALOT and doing a lot of manual labor for the same pay as a retail or sales position somewhere else then inquire about a position.

Cons

Being forced to work 6 days a week up to 48 Hours in my time there in a factory environment was not something I particularly enjoyed. Some people like to work themselves to death just for that little bit of overtime just so they can pay their fancy car bill. I worked with someone very young that voluntarily worked 12 hours everyday by staying 4 hours over every night just because he loved making a couple hundred extra dollars every week. He literally only worked and slept during the week and I never understand how people can do that to themselves. I was also teased during my time in "blue" about how I needed to be faster. This was by another employee not any management. Not much I could do about it because he himself was particularly fast and well-liked. My speed was in fact just fine after querying my coordinator on the issue. At certain times because of overhead and slowdown in other departments you have idle time which is great if love standing and doing nothing on concrete but even after sweeping in and around the whole department and sorting nuts and bolts while others are sitting on the rails talking it gets old. The break system is a little inferior to most places in my opinion as well. For a diabetic getting a 20 minute lunch after 4 hours in and only a ten minute break 2 hours before your shift ends is a little too risky. I ultimately left the company due to not being able to control my blood sugar very well with their break schedule. I would certainly recommend Wabash to anyone with a fully functional pancreas and doesn't particularly want to work in a field relating to customer service of any kind and you just prefer labor.

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on your employees who just mess around and talk in between cycles. Often times the blue shirts are doing more work than the red shirts.

10. This place is a joke

Current Employee - Clyder in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Clyder in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy hard work, you will like this job at first.

Cons

I worked here for 10 months and only got to learn two jobs. I worked as a Clyder (a jack-hammer type of equipment that put screws into the floor) for 9 months until they finally took me off the floor to learn the Floor Drill Gantry. Clyding is by far the most physically demanding job at Wabash and should be avoided at all costs. My whole body felt like it was falling apart after 4 straight months of this job. At first I busted my butt thinking I would get noticed for my hard work but all they do is take full advantage of this. The lazy people work even less so that you are forced to pick up the slack. I was even told by established workers there to slow down my work otherwise I would have to do more work. What a terrible method of doing your job! This is suppose to be a tobacco free campus but most everybody smokes in the parking lot and chews while on the job. I usually wouldn't care but they would spit on the floor and would throw their chew on the floor too. It was disgusting and smelled terrible. I was amazed to hear that English was the second language here. It was extremely hard to communicate with 60% of my co-workers because they spoke little to no English. For the hard work you put in and the fact that this is a $2 billion company, their pay is horrendous! $12 to start out, 6 years to cap off, $1000 annual bonus, and no incentives. The average warehouse pay is $15 in Indiana and most give 6 month raises with incentives for hitting certain numbers. Not to mention the bonus pay for the an office position is $10,000 annually.

Advice to Management

Major overhaul needs to be done from the ground up. Training needs to be extended to a full week to train for ALL the jobs at the warehouse.

11. It was good

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Wabash National part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, good management program. they pay for tuition and have good bonuses

Cons

Hard to move up in the company. The pay is ok but could be better

RSS Feed </> Embed