Wachtell Lipton

Updated May 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward D. Herlihy

Unparalleled responsibility, respect and compensation

ProsEarly responsibility and exposure at the very highest level. Immediate respect from clients and peers. Unparalleled compensation among law firms.

ConsLong hours, but there's no way to avoid that when you have significant responsibility and work for sophisticated clients. I never felt like anyone at the firm was unnecessarily generating work demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know what they're doing.

Only the best and brightest are hired

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat learning experience, opportunities for growth, unmatched compensation

ConsLong hours, demanding work environment

Varied from great attorneys to absolute nutbars!

Floating Legal Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI worked there for a year as a floater legal secretary. There is good training in place and a pretty good support staff around you. The people who are there are generally very smart and accomplished. Some of the partners are fantastic people, generous and very human.

ConsWhile about 80% of the people are great, the remaining 20% are nightmares. Neurotic, no empathy, no understanding of what their assistants do or the problems that exist in the firm on the technical side. These folks could care less about anything other than what they've got on their plate. They act entitled and expect to be served in a manner that befits the impression. (That's my opinion - I also suspect that some of these folks aren't happy in their lives, but that's just my impression.)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet HR actually do the job of supporting the secretaries and support staff, not acting as managements' tool for punishment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great part time job

Data Steward (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWachtell Lipton is undoubted one of the most prestigious names in law. My time there led to other opportunities as well as a great work experience.

ConsMost of the downside is the number of hours / volume of work there. My part time job had none of this, so there weren't many cons for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Worked for Wachtell Lipton? Contribute to the Community!