Wachter

Updated December 13, 2014
3.1

Wachter Chairman and CEO Brad Botteron
Brad Botteron

Great atmosphere with leadership that truly cares

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Wachter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and opportunity to move up the ladder. Like most companies, Wachter is in business to make money and support it's employees. If you work hard and consistently perform, you'll go far with Wachter.

Cons

Vacation time is lacking

It was okay but not what I would want to do long term. Maybe it will get better this was my first project.

Current Employee - Cable Installation Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Cable Installation Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Wachter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to travel, Company van, gas card, food and lodging perdiem, company shirts provided. Pay was adequate for being new to the company.

Cons

long months spent on the road, The lead technician was a total d-head, It isn't the new guys fault that they are burnt out on their jobs but you still have to be their with them and put up with their crappy attitudes, I felt like I was walking on egg shells the whole time just to please him it was very stressful. The last month of the project I had to pay for half of the cost of the room and for my food, You stay in a lot of dirty motel rooms, If they decide to fire you on the road you will be stuck to find your way home and possibly in a bad neighborhood.

Get with the lead techs more and try to work on their morale or offer them more incentive. It will make the roll out a much better experience for the new guy. Offer training programs to people who are interested in a career with the company, Pay all of the perdiem that is expected.

may you live in interrsting times

I have been working at Wachter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

solid customer base, great if you are on a major account

Cons

sales is underappreciated, operations driven company

Great place to work in the right circumstances

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Wachter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were recently changed due to the federal law changing but it is still less than $100 a month for family coverage and it is great ins. Freedom to make decisions. lotts of opportunity for change.

Cons

There is a lot of old ways people do things tough to change, lots of excess in processes, a lot of chiefs, paperwork, too much seperation btwn deparrtments.

Continue to listen

Travel the world

Former Employee - Comm Tech in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Comm Tech in Lowell, AR

I worked at Wachter as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will train you on everything

Cons

I think getting a raise and your benifits.

Support your workers

Service electrician

I worked at Wachter

Pros

Lots of work and opportunity to make money. They'll provide you with decent equipment and communication devices. You're paid while driving and they pay food allowances and lodging if you're on the road. Great company to work for if you have no life or family.

Cons

Limited network of support, no organized course of action with regard to similar issues. Dangerous work environments with no assistance or support. Constant push to complete work under improbable situations. Limited training and poor interaction between management and employees. Pay is below scale, and insurance package is constantly changing. You spend a lot of time troubleshooting issues due to sub standard equipment.

Talk to your field techs to really get information about best practices and techniques to implement. Maybe you'll evolve into a world class organization.

It's a job, I guess.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Wachter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Possibly something, cant think of any though. Cons highly outweigh any pros.

Cons

This place is a revolving door overburdening and burning out employee after employee. They will bring you on with promises of great grandeur only to let you down time after time in hopes you will quit and they can bring in the next peon.

Put some value on your employees. Treat them as human beings- not mule's. Show some genuine interest in the employees.

structurally and culturally challenged

I have been working at Wachter full-time

Pros

great people and benefits, respectable attempts at establishing a marketable business model and ability to deliver

Cons

challenged in melding old school incumbent practices and new thought advancements needed to extend and expand business with a 'one team' approach

advance go to market strategies, eliminate obstacles associated with delivering competitive, efficient, effective multi-departmental solutions and service delivery (profit centers, overhead, execution, pricing), take measures to instill integrity in LBU transactions posted (wrong cost centers inaccurate view of LBU Profit margins, bad data used to make high level decisions)

Overload

I have been working at Wachter

Pros

One pro use to be insurance. However, they are now charging a monthly premium for insurance. HR does care and listens but there is not much they can do to help lower the work load for project managers. We Can work from home at times. Work phone provided.

Cons

Low pay. Very high work load per FTE. Lots of traveling and very little to no training. Operating system crashes a lot. Project managers work 24/7/365. We are on call at all times even when on vacation. They make you feel bad for asking for time off. Very high turnover.

Invest more in the staff you have. Work out a system to have a back up to each PM so they can take days off. Over working employees will leave and history has proven that. Have the owner come to Lowell more often. 90% have never meet him before and worked here for 2 years.

An excellent career path employer!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Wachter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upper Management appreciates, and acknowledges career oriented employees who do well, and take pride in the service and support provided to their customers and fellow employees. Wachter is proud of their culture, ethics, training, and high standards which sometimes strikes against the grain of the disgruntled, and non-career oriented employees.

Cons

Project Management can be quite stressful when you take to heart your role and responsibilities (and GPM!). Long hours will infringe on personal life, but it is very rewarding when your efforts and dedication is acknowledged by those you support and perform for. Wages tend to be lower than other like companies, but quickly becomes more competitive when you become a top performer.

I have great respect for upper management in my regional office and beyond, but I have only met personally our Human Resource Director from our corporate office in Lenexa. I know the top brass executives are super busy in their whirlwind, but it would be an added benefit if they carved out some time to meet middle management, dispatchers, and other personnel regularly.