Wackenhut Services

Updated Oct 23, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Foley

Company rating for Wackenhut Services Inc. was a good work experience.

Labor Relations Manager (Former Employee)
Aiken, SC

I worked at Wackenhut Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis was an important service provided to the US department of Energy for the protection and security of the site location. This was an important managerial position.

ConsI do not have any negative issues involved with this employment opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A. This is a quality company.

JPSO Good Job

JPSO (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Wackenhut Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is great and management is engaged

ConsClient is difficult to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get client to be more supportive

Crappenhut

Security Operations Center Analyst (Former Employee)
Dulles, VA

I worked at Wackenhut Services full-time for less than a year

ProsEasy to get hired. Great orientation for newbies brings high morale when they start. You feel that you will be a part of a first class team. But that's where it stops. . .

ConsArrogant people they hire for their leadership positions; while they have a good pool of qualified applicants, alongside, they also hire the worst of the worst for their security positions. During the orientation, the presenter BRAGGED about how big Wackenhut it. Bad reputation within the security industry because of the "take anybody" approach in their hiring. While I was an employee, I saw on NBC news a less-than-flattering account of their nuke plant security program where they caught guards asleep! I don't usually believe everything I see on network news, but as one who was an insider of Wackenhut, that struck close to home as I saw the quality of people they hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want to have a high class company? Stop hiring "just anybody." Raise the standards on all the people you take in and enforce them when hired. You can't have arrogant people in your project management positions and have security officers who are clueless once they take their posts. The client at my last site was less than happy with the new security officers that had come in.

Wackenhut

Armed Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

ProsGood benefits, union, pay, only work 14 days a month. 48/36 schedule.

Cons12 hour shifts, management not aligned with policies and procedures

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to subordinates more on issues raised

Do Not Work For WSI

JPSO (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Wackenhut Services

ProsSalary is decent. Job itself is not very stressful.

ConsManagement does not care about staff. Morale is extremely low. Supervisors play games with the work schedules and favoritism runs rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees more fairly. WSI corporate office in Florida needs to intervene.

Easy Job

CPO (Current Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

ProsThe company has some of the best assignments in the city. This is a great company to work for if you are ex-military or retired polce.

ConsThe company has too many supervisors but not enough workers, so workers are occasionally asked to work extra hours above 8 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease closely monitor the number of hours worked in a two to three day spand. I've known of instances where employees have worked 16 hour days for several days in a row.

Not a bad part time job...

Security Officer (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Wackenhut Services

ProsWorked 3 days a week for 45 hours, so I had 4 days off per week which was nice. 15 hour shift was sometimes very long, but was very nice to have 4 days off.

ConsManagement seemed disorganized and unreliable at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better organization for middle management. Institute better and more modern uniforms.

Moderate company to work for

Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee)
Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

ProsJob are easily attainable with the company. You can move up quickly if you have a willigness to work and have good credientials.

ConsThe hours are demanding. Not a good company to work for as sallary in a midle management position. Better to be a site suppervisor of a good contract or a district manager, however midle management does all the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend out more surveys to middle management on how to better improvise operations and efficiancy. Give support to the office staff. Remember bottom line is important but achieved thru the susess of the offices structure.

"You get what you pay for!"

Security Guard (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

ProsEasy place to work if you have homework. Clients have no idea that services are just for show and most guards get to watch Hulu during shifts. Supervisor at my location loves to bring in some home brew which really makes working for this company a blast!

ConsYou have to wear a uniform. Must be willing to put up with other peoples mistakes i.e. "I forgot my office key and ID, can you open it for me?"

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really shouldn't cut peoples wages in this field of work. Use those community college skills and just lay one guy off! Why have the entire entire crew bent when one guy could have paid the price for all.

if you can put up with it, the pay is great.

Nuclear Security Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

ProsWackenhut pays much better in comparison to other companies in the security field. Job security is very stable due to the nature of the nuclear world and today's security requirements, job security is guarenteed to anyone that wants to work. The job is not that hard and you do not need a college degree to get in the door.

ConsThe job is not that challenging and can be very mundane at times. Twelve and a half hour shifts and a schedule that rotates is very hard on any family life. There is very little job recognition for the employees and very little control over your own year end bonus. (The year-end bonus is based on a group or team effort instead of the individuals effort.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your people more recognition and the ability to achieve through some sort of bonus/recognition program.

Worked for Wackenhut Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wackenhut Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wackenhut Services CEO Dave Foley. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Wackenhut Services employees.