Wackenhut Services

Wackenhut Services Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014

Dave Foley

"You get what you pay for!"

Current Employee - Security Guard in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

Pros

Easy place to work if you have homework. Clients have no idea that services are just for show and most guards get to watch Hulu during shifts. Supervisor at my location loves to bring in some home brew which really makes working for this company a blast!

Cons

You have to wear a uniform. Must be willing to put up with other peoples mistakes i.e. "I forgot my office key and ID, can you open it for me?"

You really shouldn't cut peoples wages in this field of work. Use those community college skills and just lay one guy off! Why have the entire entire crew bent when one guy could have paid the price for all.

if you can put up with it, the pay is great.

Current Employee - Nuclear Security Supervisor
    Current Employee - Nuclear Security Supervisor

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

Pros

Wackenhut pays much better in comparison to other companies in the security field. Job security is very stable due to the nature of the nuclear world and today's security requirements, job security is guarenteed to anyone that wants to work. The job is not that hard and you do not need a college degree to get in the door.

Cons

The job is not that challenging and can be very mundane at times. Twelve and a half hour shifts and a schedule that rotates is very hard on any family life. There is very little job recognition for the employees and very little control over your own year end bonus. (The year-end bonus is based on a group or team effort instead of the individuals effort.)

Give your people more recognition and the ability to achieve through some sort of bonus/recognition program.

Think twice and act once

Current Employee - Peon in Gadsden, AL
    Current Employee - Peon in Gadsden, AL

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

Pros

Better pay than other similiar type local companies. The uniforms allowance is decent also.

Cons

Management treates entry-level individuals like they dont matter. They need to have better health insurance. Training is terrible. There is little chance of advancement within the company at the local level. No encouragement by supervisors to contact anyone about other positions within the company.

Realize that the entry level employees are what help you keep the contracts. If you would treat the employees with the same respect that you expect from them, adequetly train them for their particular positions, and allow them to do their job without micro-management, you would be surprised at the skilled and dedicated individuals you have working for you.

Engaging

I worked at Wackenhut Services

Pros

Having that job made me feel like I was protecting the public from a possilbe threat.

Cons

It had really long hours.

Fruitful

I worked at Wackenhut Services

Pros

The pay and benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Leaders are way too overbearing.
    Long hours.

Take a deep breath and relax a little.

Great pay but no future

Current Employee - Justice Protective Service Officer
    Current Employee - Justice Protective Service Officer

I have been working at Wackenhut Services

Pros

Pay includes minimum of 8 hours overtime per week but 20 hours per week is easily obtainable.Sworn deputation as a Deputy Federal Marshal (so you won't lose law enforcement accreditation while in this job).

Cons

12 hour shifts plus commute leave no personal / family time. Job is only procedural - no independent thought or decision-making is allowed. This job is contractual with the Department of Justice. If you fall out of favor, you make be "taken off of the contract" with little or no recourse. There is no leadership here.

Use sergeants as shift leaders to manage primary locations. Currently, sergeants only perform administrative duties and personnel as left to their own on the site (allowing a hit-and-miss system of experienced guidance depending upon who you happen to work with during that shift).