WaferTech

WaferTech President and COO K.C. Hsu

K.C. Hsu

Great co-workers, horrible management

Facilities Technician (Current Employee) Camas, WA

ProsGreat benefits, great vacation, compressed work-week, built-in overtime. Great friendships formed with co-workers. People work together outstandingly when issues or emergency's happen.

ConsManagement is only ever concerned with themselves and the reports that they have to give to their managers. You could save the company $50,000, invent a new patent or help advert a major catastrophe. "Here is your $5 meal ticket." But if you forget to check a box on a report or left a piece of garbage on the floor after a major repair. Get ready to hear management berate you for a week. It is a company of perception and appearance. Be prepared to see your ideas either shot-down if the "buy-back" time isn't a week or the watch your idea be benched only to have it come back under your Superiors name a month later. Get ready to listen to a 30 minute speech about proper labeling for a role of duct-tape when your trying to discuss a major equipment problem that affects production. Promotion is almost always unattainable.

Most of the departments are severely understaffed. Often you will be the only technician for your department onsite. Rarely provide OT coverage for when somebody is on vacation. You'll usually ask your co-work first if its OK to take some time off because you don't want to leave them hanging.

Never seen anybody fired for not doing their job. So the the lazy worker has just as much job security has the high performer. Incentive to preform "better" is not there.
    "If you do it once, you own it for life" mentality.

HR does not keep confidentiality. If you raise a concern about a manager. They will inform that manager directly about who made the complaint. Retaliation is a real thing. They will also attempt to sweep workers comp claims under the table. Demand that you sign documents removing liability from wafertech if you're injured.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to realize how outstanding they're employees are. Recognize when somebody is performing better than the rest. Increase the head-count for technicians as workload/responsibilities increase.

Great place to start, but quickly loses its appeal

ProsGood benefit program. Easy to succeed to a point if you play the game. Pretty good non-technical training program.

ConsConstant struggles between management and engineering team. Lack of innovation and constantly asked to align to another TSMC fabs. Making any process or equipment change is hampered by endless and unhelpful bureaucracy. No real chance to advance unless you are fluent in Mandarin and/or worked at TSMC.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your commitment to your employees. A lot of good people fall through the cracks or get so fed up they leave.

Good money, but you sacrifice your free time.

Equipment Engineer (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsGood entry-level opportunity for college graduates. Decent benefits, and training. The tools are fairly up to date and challenging to troubleshoot and improve on. Pay was very good for entry level, I bought a boat after a year of working there.

ConsMost engineering peers speak Mandarin as a first language. Communication is very hard. Life / work balance terrible. Carrying a pager for immediate contact infuses your time off with dread of being called back into work, and the Taiwanese work ethic of working 24/6 is rampant. Along with increased stress levels I can't recommend too much.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Facilities Technician

Facilities Technician (Former Employee) Camas, WA

ProsIt was wonderful place to work. Teamwork was emphasis daily to everyone.

ConsNo communication from shift to shift with the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management did not standup for there employees.

Great place to work.

ProsTalent people to work with.

ConsThere are some lazy people too.

wafertech

Facilities Technician (Former Employee) Camas, WA

Proscan learn something if you are willing

Conshard work some times pretty stressful. not much future

Advice to Senior Managementsome are good some are not

Stable but unrewarding !

Equipment Tech (Former Employee) Camas, WA

Pros.Good benefits. Safe environment. Owned by world leader in foundry chip manufacturing.

ConsThere are two companies here. First there is Wafertech. This part is the public face. Seems that this
    part is the American side. Then there is TSMC which is the Taiwanese side. They hold the purse strings and all decisions are made by them. They claim it is one company but it is not ! The Taiwanese receive bonuses and pay raises from TSMC but the Americans do not get the same.
    A couple of years ago TSMC announced 15% pay raises and two months pay across the board.
    They told us (Americans) that we were not TSMC employees. We do everything the same as TSMC
    but not included when it comes to rewards for hard work. This is a very prejudice company and you
    can really sense that through out the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your an American you can't stand out of TSMC's shadow. Your all in a bubble that you can't get out of. Most do not know what is really going on in the trenches. Your hands are tied. If you are Taiwanese you should remember what country you are in and show some respect.

Very Good Experience

Facilities Technician (Former Employee) Camas, WA

ProsGood Shift structure, industry standard benefits.

ConsParent company (TSMC) was profitable but always said WaferTech wasn't so eligible for bonuses

Great co-workers, stable work hours, OT is plentiful at times, micromanagement is inevitable to some department.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Camas, WA

Pros401K contributions, structured work responsibilities, 3-day /4 day offs because of the 12hr shifts. Comfy break room places with employees in mind. Approachable MFG. supervisors and managers. Workers have good working relationships. Cleanroom environment

ConsPay increase are tight and slow for the bottom line workers. Constant changes to improve various stuff.

Beats working fast food

Worker Bee (Current Employee) Camas, WA

ProsGreat parking
    Easy commute from Portland
    Vending machines have good selection
    Dont come in contact with chemicals. Pretty safe.

ConsLot of unhappy people. Mostly those who have been there a long time.
    Little chance to move up.
    Heavy physical work. My area is really shorthanded.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob works because of the schedule. I can go to school while working there, but going to bolt as soon as I graduate. Negative attitude of people on the floor gets to you after a time. Management likes to keep things chaotic and people on edge from what I see.

Worked for WaferTech? Contribute to the Community!