Waffle House
www.wafflehouse.com Norcross, GA 5000+ Employees

Waffle House Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Waffle House Chairman and CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Pros:
  • "Get to meet new people (the good and the bad)"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to relocate"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "I had to work all holidays and barely got to spend time with my kids"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Upper management did a lot of things that got them investigated by the labor board at one point"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun job!

Salesperson (Former Employee)
Auburn, AL

I worked at Waffle House full-time for less than a year

ProsGet to work with great people and obtain work experience. Great work environment and my regular customers were awesome. Always a good day and tips were good.

ConsIt was a lot of hard work sometimes and it was really cold all the time. There was drama between employees at times, but all in all a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

shity

Lead Cook (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Waffle House full-time for more than a year

Prosweekly pay free soda and food

Conslong hours drunks druggees street walkers

Advice to Senior Managementget people to clean more

WH is not the same company it was 20 years ago. They've lost focus.

Former Employee (Former Employee)
North Atlanta, GA

I worked at Waffle House part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to interact with public. Good learning experience. It's work if you're desperate. Cash and carry.

ConsNo communication. Lack of professionalism. Often a gossiping, hostile environment on the employee end. Inconsistent training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBasically, what Joe Rogers, Jr. and his upper management people refuse to see is they focus on the #'s now and not their people. And if their focus isn't on their people, starting at the very top, then it's really useless to point that out. Employee benefits and good employee retention is no longer part of their mission. The focus on customer service has been lost. This company can whine and blame it on the economy all they want, but their original focus on good employees who produce good customer base and decent food for a decent price survived much worse than what we see today. The decline and closing of stores will continue, unless they change back to the formula and employee focus that made them so successful for so many decades. I could say a lot of both good/bad about WH, but the bad so heavily outweighs the good now. I was a MGR many years ago (it was actually fun for a long time), but came back after a 15 yr absence because I needed something to do, but not the lowly paycheck so many others desperately need, and I was familiar w/the company. I had no plans to become a mgr this 2nd time around, and left again after 6 months before going back into the real world. I was watching it's decline start back in the 90s, yet powerless to stop it.

What Joe Rogers, Jr. and his upper management need to do is:1)Manage people, not numbers,2) Remove the non-performers, 3)Avoid creating superstars, 4)Coach, but don't interfere, 5)Put their employees 1st, 6)Ask questions, rather than give answers.

never a dull moment

Unit Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Waffle House full-time

Prosthey offer competitive salary and benefits,

Consthey never close. you work most weekends and holidays. you are the only manager in the store so you are on call 24 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing family oriented means allowing time to spend with your family, not having more family functions that are mandatory attendance

It was alright

Waitress (Former Employee)
Niceville, FL

I worked at Waffle House part-time for more than a year

ProsGood money, pay in cash. Flexible schedule. Management was really nice and open, and wanted you to learn

ConsHard to get time off and they always schedule you when you tell them you can't work. Also had allergic reactions to their hand soap, and no one ever did anything about it.

Could take it or leave it.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnjoyed most of the customer interaction. And lateral employees were okay to work with.

ConsUpper management did a lot of things that got them investigated by the labor board at one point.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for yourself. Could be to much politics in upper management.

great job

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for more than 5 years

Proslots of hours money is fair.

ConsCustomers are hard sometimes to get alone with

Advice to Senior Managementbalance life style for team members

Good overall

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat income with possibilities for advancement. Twenty four vacation days a year. The stock program is a very good way to become wealthy.

ConsNot much of a personal life.On call twenty four seven.Not much support from up-line. Working every holiday. Cant call off if sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet managers manage. We do every thing from cutting grass, to washing windows

A new low and a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act

I have been working at Waffle House

Prosyou can make tips depending on the shift

ConsWaffle House has hit a new Low the big thing now cross train the wait staff to be cooks, why pay a cook when you can just not schedule one and use the wait staff at 2 bucks an hour, they are cooking for their customers. It’s well known they have been violating the Fair Labor Standards Act with the side work that is un tipped and often the second and mid night shift spend more time cleaning than waiting tables. When more than 20 % of a tipped employees time is spent doing duties other than waiting tables then the company is getting Chinese labor rate. Often the night shift is doing exactly that. IF you work for them watch your hours! If you are a new hire and they tell you its 10 hour shift and full time that's a lie.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better,

They will Hire Everyone and Get rid of you as quick as they hired you

Waitress (Former Employee)
Ladson, SC

I worked at Waffle House full-time for less than a year

ProsTips are good, WH is always busy and this company is not going anywhere anytime soon as they have zero debt. , they train you for almost 2 weeks (1 week of bookwork, 1 week of on-the-job) There is a test.

ConsHaving to CALL out orders to the cooks takes a lot of learning, When they fire you, they do not tell you why and the hiring manager avoids your phone calls when you ask why, if you do get in touch with them they will say they will call you back and never do!

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should be notified appropriately of WHY they were let go. Should give employees a fair chance, if you feel that if a certain goal is not reached by a certain time then your going to let the employee go then the employee should know that their job is in question so they can buckle down and get better if they can or be on the look out for another job.

Worked for Waffle House? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waffle House reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Waffle House CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr. All 175 reviews posted anonymously by Waffle House employees.