Waffle House

Waffle House Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.6

Waffle House Chairman and CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr.
Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Meeting new people and having connections with regular customers (in 12 reviews)

• Paid Vacation - Every level of management gets 3 (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If your immediate manager reports to upper management that you are not a brown noser forget it (in 20 reviews)

• I had to work all holidays and barely got to spend time with my kids (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

not bad

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun environment and great place to work learned about the company advancement fun activities for family leadership very…gerat people around. it a relaxed company.

Cons

no plans for growing in the company, it was a lot of hard work sometines and the workmatres do noyt help.it is neccesary greater commitment form the líder

Great place for first job!

Former Employee - Grill Operator in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Grill Operator in Greenville, SC

I worked at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Waffle House does have its benefits such as stock options and free food, along with the ability to be promoted to manager or master grill operator.

Cons

Working at Waffle House can be hectic at times but it is good fun, the customers are generally happy and I never experienced any insults.

Challenging

Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Savannah, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An attempt will be made to accommodate needed time. Not many benefits on an entry level. Can get better insurance outside of the company for less money.

Cons

I witnessed terrible bullying employee to employee yet when this is bought to the store manager, she laughs about it to other employees. It was on video and yes I did report it. To my knowledge, nothing EVER happened.
      A LOT OF DRAMA, NO LIFE / WORK BALANCE. Once I transferred to another store, a lot of the above disappeared.

Corporate Headquarters: Sometimes, you should consider sending someone undercover to either work, or clandestinely review the manager of a store. When you have A LOT of turnover, more than usual~ you may want to consider the GM/managers of the store. Most times employees don't wish to put their jobs at risk (hours cut, laid off/fired saw it happen) because they need this job. The employees I spoke with don't even want to use the 800 # for the anonymous tips for fear it will get back to the boss and by process of elimination she would find out who complained.

Like a marriage, honeymoon was great, living with difficult at times.

Current Employee - Manager/District Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager/District Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People on the restaurant level are hard working and amiable. After being in unit for a while the employees come to be like your children. Restaurants are clean, for the most part, and the customers make it worth showing up for work, usually.

Cons

Your personal life is a thing of the past, once you drink the kool-ade. Upper management help with problems do not exist, paper trail demands are too great, and if you do not "take one for the team" you are deemed subversive. Policies are only upheld to the benefit of the company, and once the paper trail starts on you, you must start looking for other employment.

Care for your underlings the way you have them take care of you. Compensate those who do rather than those who talk the talk, but do not walk the walk. Remember about the lives you affect in your decisions and demands.

A+

Current Employee - Waffle House Cook in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Waffle House Cook in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work and was what I needed to get through the winter. Thank you.

Cons

Good work and was what I needed to get through the winter. Thank you.

Ok(ish)

Current Employee - Salesperson and GO in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Salesperson and GO in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Near decent tips for male servers
    Lots of hrs

Cons

Each store has cancers and you just have to ignore their bs. Management can be great if they get some of the things that are important in better order.

More organization of the schedule and other key employee needs.

After 3 years of service I still enjoy my job and see myself there for the long run.

Current Employee - Grill Operator First Class in Macedonia, Cherokee, GA
    Current Employee - Grill Operator First Class in Macedonia, Cherokee, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly cash pay

Bonus system for the cooks based on sales. You get between 1-2% of shift sales depending on the shift you work and the quality of food you cook.

You run your own shift as a cook. No micro management here, I've always been treated with respect and thankfulness by management.

Cons

They don't seem to give raises. I can cook 200$ an hour and basically run the store by myself but get paid the same as this new kid who can even handle 50$ an hour.

Working on Christmas and Thanksgiving are mandatory. I'm a young single dude without a family so it's not that big of a deal for me but my older coworkers with children are upset by it.

Please consider giving merit based raises and offering monetary incentives for increased production. Someone who's been with the company three years and can cook a 1000 dollar shift solo deserves a good deal more per hour then a new hire who can barely cook.

Great high school job

I have been working at Waffle House

Pros

Good pay for someone in high school and living at home.
    Flexible hours and easy to get them

Cons

You can work some really crazy shifts, and lose sleep

Worked for 7 months

Former Employee - Intake Sales Associate in Laplace, LA
    Former Employee - Intake Sales Associate in Laplace, LA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent tips, good hours, friendly workers, very good cooks. Vacation checks are decent as well, they have health insurance coverage but takes up a lot of your check depending how much it is.

Cons

They will overload you with hours, they don't care about your life, you are forced to do what you don't want the food sits in the freezer, I've witnesses and heard of managers cooking blue or green meat because they're more concerned about food cost rather than others health. The manager treats the coworkers like cap and she definitely has her favorites.

I worked at Waffle House (more than 3 years)

Pros

If pays well compare to the competition
    You have the ability to move up very fast especially if you manage a busy restaurant and you keep it clean and staffed

Cons

You don't have any personal life
    You have a weekend off only every 6 weeks, you can be called at any time of the day or the night when you are working, it's unbearable

Listen to your team members

Waffle House Photos