Waffle House Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.6

Waffle House Chairman and CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr.
Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Meeting new people and having connections with regular customers (in 12 reviews)

• flexible hours, weekly pay in cash, Christmas and new years bonuses (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I had to work all holidays and barely got to spend time with my kids (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management did a lot of things that got them investigated by the labor board at one point (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Waffle House is a great company to work for if you want to be a salesperson

Current Employee - Salesperson  in  Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Bedford, TX

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to go from being a salesperson, to grill operator to a salesperson trainer in a matter of months.

Cons

You have to be motivated to work here.

Some advice I would give to management is to be a little less stressful in your decision making process and more people oriented.

Third Shift Grill Op was tough, but rewarding.

Current Employee - Grill Operator  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Grill Operator in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved talking to the customers after I cooked their food. If they weren't satisfied, I'd insist on remaking it for them.

Cons

Working from 9 pm to 7 am is a really tough shift to handle if you're not used to it. The pay was not enough for the amount of drunks I had to deal with

good company all in all 20+yr veteran

Former Employee - Grill Operator  in  Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Grill Operator in Baytown, TX

I worked at Waffle House full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Regulars- Regular Customers are usually pretty cool, once they get to know you. Majority of the co-workers are nice, however not what I would consider hanging out with outside of work.

Cons

Pay is awful, they do not compensate for unearned wages for their salespeople that do not earn at least minimum wages. Promotions can be from with in however generally they are recruited from outside the company.

Listen to your people, don't promise them one thing and then not do it!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working at Waffle House

Pros

Waffle House promotes their upper management candidates from within the organization. If you are well admired by your upper management team, regardless of how well you perform, you will move up fast. People that work hard and run good numbers have to wait much longer for advancement opportunities if they are not admired by their management team. This should be the other way around. Waffle is suppose to be an equal opportunity employer, sadly to say, this is not true.

Cons

Waffle House has a great compensation package that also includes stock options. Store managers make 40-55k a year. Managers work six days consecutive, then they have two days off. They receive a week off about every six weeks. Managers are required to work all major holidays, which also includes Christmas and New Years. Waffle House never closes.

Treat all people the same at all times. There should never be a time that favoritism becomes a issue. All employees should be treated fairly regardless of age, color, national origin, and also gender.

people are nice money is not

Current Employee - Grill Operator  in  Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Grill Operator in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

get to meet new and different people from all over

Cons

pay rate sucks and trying to get a raise is like pulling teeth. In my area trying to become a manager requires a bachelors degree regardless of the fact I have cooked for the for 12 years which is really baffling to me. Tips has a server depend on what shift you are working and the store you are working.

It was sometimes a breath of fresh air. I loved the clients. But it can also be very stressful.

I have been working at Waffle House

Pros

You get off early. You've got money in your pocket daily and the regulars were great people.

Cons

You have to go in early. You live on your tips.

Working for waffle house is a great job opportunity.

Former Employee - Salesperson  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Marietta, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are great then money and tips wand good.. team work is fair for some and great with others. Training is easy and hands on.

Cons

Leadership is off employees can be treated with respect and dignity. benefits are ok

The management could and should be better in employee confidentiality
     should be enforced harder as well as gossiping manager with other employees

Very Interesting

Current Employee - Salesperson  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House part-time for less than a year

Pros

Sociable setting, causal and business like.
    Co workers know when to have fun and when to do their jobs.
    If you have an exellecent turn over bussing table you can expect to make a lot of money.
    People can be really friendly and helpful.
    My first job, learning the fundementals of food business. Great experience.

Cons

Contant changing of schedules. I actually do not like making so little money, on my check however it brings me good tips at the end of the day though.
    There is so much drama and gossip around this place it's ridiculous. I never heard so much... Bull in one place
    Rude customers at times.

Managers and Unit Managers shouldn't be so cut throat all the time. Pay employees what they really deserve.. I know the higher ups can raise the pay rate. It's crazy to work hard for so little.

they work you like slaves

Former Employee - Waffle House Cook/Sales Person  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Waffle House Cook/Sales Person in Scranton, PA

I worked at Waffle House part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

customers are friendly, its a job and they hire just about anyone, employees learn to lean on each other or you will get bullied out of there, good chance on advancing to manager or so if you learn the vindictive ways

Cons

my list would never stop about the two WH I worked for, the wife was a slave driver and her husband (from another country where women are dirt) was a sexist pig. Corporate says to operate one way and the owners do it their own way until corporate comes around for the day. and corporate does not act upon sexual harassment they brush it under the rug for others to suffer at the same WH from the same offender. they will not offer full time as in 40 weekly they will do everything in their power not to pay you overtime but to work you everyday possible even if its for 4 hours 7 days a week.

look into the complaints deeper. fellow employees fear loosing their job if they open their mouth about what really goes on in the restaurant that is not right. no one should fear loosing a job for asking and deserving equality and fairness at a place of employment.

Fast promotion if you follow systems completely

Current Employee - District  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - District in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Waffle House full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good 20 year stock... You don't have to be the smartest or the hardest working. You control an operation of approx 25 to 40 ppl depending on your unit's daily sales income..

Cons

You don't have to be the smartest or hardest working (questionable leaders in leadership roles). Systems are out dated,really bad organizational business behaviors. They need diversity clinics. Days off schedule is not ever in your favor.

The leaders we have in leadership roles are bad leaderships. The know the business but do not know how to lead. We lose more good managers then keeping them because the leaders we have do not trust lower managements judgements.

Worked for Waffle House? Contribute to the Community!