Waffle House

Waffle House Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.7

Waffle House Chairman and CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr.
Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Known for great job stability (company is not going anywhere), opportunity for advancement, great training program (about 3 months long) (in 7 reviews)

• Paid Vacation - Every level of management gets 3 (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • If your immediate manager reports to upper management that you are not a brown noser forget it (in 20 reviews)

• I had to work all holidays and barely got to spend time with my kids (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job!

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Medina, OH
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Medina, OH

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Advancement, Sense of Accomplishment, An actual career!

Cons

Some find it difficult to manage time, however the company itself tries to ensure you remember to plan to take time for you.

You get out of it what you put into it!

Former Employee - Salesperson/Waitress in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Salesperson/Waitress in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work first shift....great tips opportunities fast paced

Cons

Other shifts depending on their locations not as much traffic opportunities

Great work place,Associates and managers.

Current Employee - Grill Operator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Grill Operator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Receiving work experience in a fast pace work place.

Cons

Learning the marking system.And work place.

Force times distance=WORK

Better than most places

Current Employee - Salesperson in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Waffle House

Pros

friendly coworkers, lots of lee way, don't need much to get hired, make more than minimum wage with tips, two paid vacations a year, paid weekly

Cons

servers don't get raises, corporate has ridiculous expectations of employees, money focused instead of employee focused, have to work 6 days to get 40 hours unless you work 3rd shift

Needs improvement

Former Employee - Cook in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Cook in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Waffle House

Pros

The restaurant is overal okay they have Good managers and hours steady schedules and great and loyal customers that you can really enjoy when they come in.

Cons

Bad service from wait staff they have attitudes and they hardly ever get orders correct they argue with each other and customers very unprofessional

Get better wait staff for customers

Great company and People to work with!!.

Current Employee - Waffle House District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Waffle House District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House

Pros

Pay is good. Great compensation. Freedom.

Cons

24 hour buisness...so phone is non stop ringing. Have to work a double on christmas day.

Keep up the good work.

Awesome training program and upper management

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Dublin, VA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Dublin, VA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great support from upper management, training unit manager doesn't micromanage, not bad starting pay at all. Promotions only come from within, so the sky's the limit

Cons

As expected, some long unpredictable hours and whiny associates. With no "offices" for operations management, communication can sometimes be iffy

Keep it up!

Server but not a server

Former Employee - Salesperson in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Waffle House

Pros

Second and third shift is nice because there is minimal management drama.

Cons

Drama Drama Drama; conflicting management styles; selective enforcement of policies and rules; the manager wants it one way, district another, vp another, and then there is the "official waffle house" way; slow to modernize and adapt leading to theft, labor, and product loss; they also get away with not having dishwashers and cleaning staff by calling their servers salespersons instead, so on top of traditional sidework they are responsible for cleaning all dishes, cleaning windows inside and out, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning the ceiling tiles, floors, etc

Listen to what the store level employees say is or isn't working for their location. Not all locations are the same. Staff dishwashers for at least the peak times of days. It may be cheaper for the servers to do it but it is not efficient.

Challenging and rewarding, but time consuming with little time for personal life.

Former Employee - Unit Manager
    Former Employee - Unit Manager

I worked at Waffle House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

WH is a great company built on great values. There is plenty opportunity for growth with the company. They offer promotions within one to two years. Constant contact and support from upline is great too especially for first time managers.

Cons

Awful work-life balance. All holidays are worked, you get a weekend off about once every two months, often required to work evenings and Friday/ Saturday nights. 70+ hours worked per week. You put in A LOT of time and energy for average pay. Also found that the company's value of taking care of their people is not to be completely true. Often times a units need to be staffed overrank your and your staffs personal life/energy levels and leads to burnouts and overworking. Firm, fair, and consistent regarding discipline is also a joke.

Follow through with the values & beliefs the company has in place.

BIzarre and unethical experience at Waffle House

Former Employee - Area People Director
    Former Employee - Area People Director

I worked at Waffle House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is above average. Waffle House gives management opportunities to those who would otherwise never have a shot at working in upper management. I do believe that for the most part, Operators are promoted based on the work they put in and their level of potential.

Cons

This was one of the most bizarre jobs I have ever had. There are very, very few women that work for the company, and it truly is a 'Good 'ol boys' club. As a recruiter, I was expected to hire a certain amount of people per month in order to earn a bonus, which is a substantial part of the compensation structure. However, within one month I was told not to even bring in anyone for an interview that looked over the age of 40, that we would never consider hiring anyone in the National Guard, and that we would not hire any more Indians - according to my supervisors they had "bad experience with Indians." To the companies credit, once I brought these issues far, far above the heads of my supervisors they were addressed immediately.

You will not have any work/life balance if you accept a job here. They bill themselves as a family-friendly culture and I've never worked for a company who cared so little for the families or the well being of its employees.

Retention is HUGE in this company. Why on Earth would you act shocked that people quit left and right when they work 70+ hour weeks, 24+ hour shifts, are on-call 24/7, and work every holiday?

Listen to your HR Director when they advise you on what hiring practices are illegal, or you will end up in the middle of an EEOC lawsuit.

Learn what your People Directors do. Or don't, and have more guidance over the people directors from corporate (preferably people that actually enjoy their jobs, and people who enjoy mentoring employees.)

Waffle House Photos