Waffle House

Waffle House Reviews

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.6

Waffle House Chairman and CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr.
Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Known for great job stability (company is not going anywhere), opportunity for advancement, great training program (about 3 months long) (in 7 reviews)

• Paid Vacation - Every level of management gets 3 (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • If your immediate manager reports to upper management that you are not a brown noser forget it (in 20 reviews)

• I had to work all holidays and barely got to spend time with my kids (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I have worked with Waffle House for 14 years, I cook, waitress, cashier, clean, anything that needs to be done

Current Employee - Waitress/Cook in Bremen, GA
    Current Employee - Waitress/Cook in Bremen, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Waffle House can be very fast paced and fun. I love dealing with people and working out solutions for problems.

Cons

Waffle House can be a very strenuous job, and management does not acknowledge hard work and dedication, tends to be very clickish, and no matter how much experience you have, you must start over if you change stores, salaries and days are cut, and it is if you never worked for Waffle House before.

Waffle House should appreciate experience and try to keep their loyal employees happy.

not bad

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun environment and great place to work learned about the company advancement fun activities for family leadership very…gerat people around. it a relaxed company.

Cons

no plans for growing in the company, it was a lot of hard work sometines and the workmatres do noyt help.it is neccesary greater commitment form the líder

Misery

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my team of employees. A lot of camaraderie. The company offers excellent training for its managers and invests a lot of money.

Cons

Misery. No personal life. Rarely have weekends off. The worst part is that success is not always rewarded with promotion. The company keeps nonperforming managers in place and at the low to mid level management level, the lousy performers have just as good an opportunity for promotion because it is based on seniority, not performance. Pay for hourly workers hasn't changed in 20 years almost, which means it's very very difficult to keep a qualified staff.

The company should reconsider the pyramid scheme style salary structure. VPs make more in a week that the entire staff of most restaurants combined, and it's not okay to treat your employees like dirt.

Small town WH led to more stress and poor management

Former Employee - Salesperson in Brookhaven, MS
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Brookhaven, MS

I worked at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Insurance is offered, can be a fun work place, meal ticket for every day, always hiring, teaches customer service and cash handling skills and sort of steady schedule

Cons

Night shift is anarchy on Friday and Saturday nights, poor tippers, incompetent management, manager would not deal with employee caught stealing on camera, co worker drama between certain employees, drunken customers that were rude and obscene, when tips were not equal to minimum wage it was not made up for, style of calling orders is out dated and only slows the process on a busy night, meal ticket is taken out even when not used, corners were cut to save money, second shift was not held responsible when they did not do their end of shift prep, too little money to deal with all that was done

I worked the night shift, and my advice is this: if you have a good crew, do not treat them as expendable because this is not a job anyone can do. When dealing with such unruly patrons as I did when I worked, it takes a very patient and calm person. Treat us as expendable and threaten us with termination because you don't have your duties in order, then we can and will find a better job. Also, someone needs to be on top of the wages salespeople make. No one I know was ever given the proper wage when their tips were less than minimum wage. Meal tickets don't need to be taken out of low wages if they are not used.

Decent money but horrible management

Former Employee - Salesperson in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Waffle House part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money you have potential to make if it's busy and the hours (if the manager likes you)

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees, hours if the manager doesn't like you, employees feel replaceable because of high turnover

Be more considerate if employees

worked way through to management, Currently master grill op.

Current Employee - Master Grill Op in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Master Grill Op in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management can be helpful/friendly

Laid back attitude

Morning hours

Paid vacation, 2 a year (hourly maintaining thirty two a week for six months a piece) 3 for management ( 2 tens and a 7 day) all paid

Alcohol all over 3rd shift

Drugs everywhere

Cons

Does not recognize seniority

Favoritism is overly abundant

Often unprofessional management team

Revolving door atmosphere

Constant bickering between hourly and management team

No trust in the team atmosphere they claim exist

Watch your people closer, the drug use in this company is rampant as is the growing number of management drinking problems. The team atmosphere that is seen has to be understood at phoney at best , attend more than an "on sight" level. Explain roles better. COMPANY NEEDS AN OVERHAUL! !!!

Challenging

Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Savannah, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An attempt will be made to accommodate needed time. Not many benefits on an entry level. Can get better insurance outside of the company for less money.

Cons

I witnessed terrible bullying employee to employee yet when this is bought to the store manager, she laughs about it to other employees. It was on video and yes I did report it. To my knowledge, nothing EVER happened.
      A LOT OF DRAMA, NO LIFE / WORK BALANCE. Once I transferred to another store, a lot of the above disappeared.

Corporate Headquarters: Sometimes, you should consider sending someone undercover to either work, or clandestinely review the manager of a store. When you have A LOT of turnover, more than usual~ you may want to consider the GM/managers of the store. Most times employees don't wish to put their jobs at risk (hours cut, laid off/fired saw it happen) because they need this job. The employees I spoke with don't even want to use the 800 # for the anonymous tips for fear it will get back to the boss and by process of elimination she would find out who complained.

Like a marriage, honeymoon was great, living with difficult at times.

Current Employee - Manager/District Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager/District Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People on the restaurant level are hard working and amiable. After being in unit for a while the employees come to be like your children. Restaurants are clean, for the most part, and the customers make it worth showing up for work, usually.

Cons

Your personal life is a thing of the past, once you drink the kool-ade. Upper management help with problems do not exist, paper trail demands are too great, and if you do not "take one for the team" you are deemed subversive. Policies are only upheld to the benefit of the company, and once the paper trail starts on you, you must start looking for other employment.

Care for your underlings the way you have them take care of you. Compensate those who do rather than those who talk the talk, but do not walk the walk. Remember about the lives you affect in your decisions and demands.

Great place for first job!

Former Employee - Grill Operator in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Grill Operator in Greenville, SC

I worked at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Waffle House does have its benefits such as stock options and free food, along with the ability to be promoted to manager or master grill operator.

Cons

Working at Waffle House can be hectic at times but it is good fun, the customers are generally happy and I never experienced any insults.

Ok(ish)

Current Employee - Salesperson and GO in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Salesperson and GO in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Near decent tips for male servers
    Lots of hrs

Cons

Each store has cancers and you just have to ignore their bs. Management can be great if they get some of the things that are important in better order.

More organization of the schedule and other key employee needs.

Waffle House Photos