Waffle House Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
334 reviews filtered by

1. Great work place,Associates and managers.

Current Employee - Grill Operator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Grill Operator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Receiving work experience in a fast pace work place.

Cons

Learning the marking system.And work place.

Advice to Management

Force times distance=WORK

2. Needs improvement

Former Employee - Cook in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Cook in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Waffle House

Pros

The restaurant is overal okay they have Good managers and hours steady schedules and great and loyal customers that you can really enjoy when they come in.

Cons

Bad service from wait staff they have attitudes and they hardly ever get orders correct they argue with each other and customers very unprofessional

Advice to Management

Get better wait staff for customers

Server but not a server

Former Employee - Salesperson in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Waffle House

Pros

Second and third shift is nice because there is minimal management drama.

Cons

Drama Drama Drama; conflicting management styles; selective enforcement of policies and rules; the manager wants it one way, district another, vp another, and then there is the "official waffle house" way; slow to modernize and adapt leading to theft, labor, and product loss; they also get away with not having dishwashers and cleaning staff by calling their servers salespersons instead, so on top of traditional sidework they are responsible for cleaning all dishes, cleaning windows inside and out, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning the ceiling tiles, floors, etc

Advice to Management

Listen to what the store level employees say is or isn't working for their location. Not all locations are the same. Staff dishwashers for at least the peak times of days. It may be cheaper for the servers to do it but it is not efficient.

5. Challenging and rewarding, but time consuming with little time for personal life.

Former Employee - Unit Manager
    Former Employee - Unit Manager

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WH is a great company built on great values. There is plenty opportunity for growth with the company. They offer promotions within one to two years. Constant contact and support from upline is great too especially for first time managers.

Cons

Awful work-life balance. All holidays are worked, you get a weekend off about once every two months, often required to work evenings and Friday/ Saturday nights. 70+ hours worked per week. You put in A LOT of time and energy for average pay. Also found that the company's value of taking care of their people is not to be completely true. Often times a units need to be staffed overrank your and your staffs personal life/energy levels and leads to burnouts and overworking. Firm, fair, and consistent regarding discipline is also a joke.

Advice to Management

Follow through with the values & beliefs the company has in place.

6. Great company and People to work with!!.

Current Employee - Waffle House District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Waffle House District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House

Pros

Pay is good. Great compensation. Freedom.

Cons

24 hour buisness...so phone is non stop ringing. Have to work a double on christmas day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. Awesome training program and upper management

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Dublin, VA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Dublin, VA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support from upper management, training unit manager doesn't micromanage, not bad starting pay at all. Promotions only come from within, so the sky's the limit

Cons

As expected, some long unpredictable hours and whiny associates. With no "offices" for operations management, communication can sometimes be iffy

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

BIzarre and unethical experience at Waffle House

Former Employee - Area People Director
    Former Employee - Area People Director

I worked at Waffle House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is above average. Waffle House gives management opportunities to those who would otherwise never have a shot at working in upper management. I do believe that for the most part, Operators are promoted based on the work they put in and their level of potential.

Cons

This was one of the most bizarre jobs I have ever had. There are very, very few women that work for the company, and it truly is a 'Good 'ol boys' club. As a recruiter, I was expected to hire a certain amount of people per month in order to earn a bonus, which is a substantial part of the compensation structure. However, within one month I was told not to even bring in anyone for an interview that looked over the age of 40, that we would never consider hiring anyone in the National Guard, and that we would not hire any more Indians - according to my supervisors they had "bad experience with Indians." To the companies credit, once I brought these issues far, far above the heads of my supervisors they were addressed immediately.

You will not have any work/life balance if you accept a job here. They bill themselves as a family-friendly culture and I've never worked for a company who cared so little for the families or the well being of its employees.

Advice to Management

Retention is HUGE in this company. Why on Earth would you act shocked that people quit left and right when they work 70+ hour weeks, 24+ hour shifts, are on-call 24/7, and work every holiday?

Listen to your HR Director when they advise you on what hiring practices are illegal, or you will end up in the middle of an EEOC lawsuit.

Learn what your People Directors do. Or don't, and have more guidance over the people directors from corporate (preferably people that actually enjoy their jobs, and people who enjoy mentoring employees.)

9. If That's What You're Into

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful and sometimes long-lasting relationships with fellow employees and regular customers
    Making people smile
    Bonuses for cooks based on sales
    Decent money for servers who know what they're doing and commit
    Breaks are as-needed for the most part
    Interesting history, and people love it.

Cons

The cons are the same as any other job when you're a grunt. Some locations are worse/better than others, as with most places. Nothing really sticks out aside from particular regions that give the impression that the company is male-dominated and very old fashioned.

Advice to Management

Do more than the bare minimum. Make your people feel that you value them instead of treating them like criminals.

Would not recommend this place to anyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet new people and get to personally know some of the people that come in who become your "regulars". I have even met a couple of famous people.

Cons

The payroll is terrible. I can't even get a loan because the pay check doesn't make sense. The management is terrible and there is no team work at my store. The worst manager I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Be a manager and take control. Fire the people who are constant no call no shows, do your job and stop trying to please everyone. A manager is a boss, not a friend.

11. Love the customer

Former Employee - Salesperson/Waitress in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Salesperson/Waitress in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Waffle House

Pros

customers, flexible hours, money, hours, family

Cons

advancement, management, drama, nosey, unethical

Advice to Management

treat employees better

Waffle House Photos