Wagamama

3.5

David Campbell

senior sou chef

I worked at Wagamama

Pros

At 1st they value you as a person but the culture got change when the company become more American.

Cons

The upper management don't see the real picture hope they see it now

Good for money

Current Employee - FOH in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - FOH in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wagamama part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unique server position. Team mentality. No hostess, bartender, server division, everyone does everything. A good amount of money and you can get hired with no serving experience.
    Usually walk out with $100 for a pm shift. I've made over $300 working from about noon to 10 pm. (Although that's rare and not even worth the money).

Cons

Pooled tips allow some people to be lazy and others to do everything. Most don't take advantage but the few that do seem to be able to stick around for a very long time. The team work thing can result in miscommunications being a much bigger deal than they need to be. Also, there is never anyone specific to blame when something goes wrong so a lot of time is spent going over basics because one person messes up repeatedly.

A stepping stone company to get experience so that someone can move into a better company

Former Employee - Server in Lynnfield, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Lynnfield, MA

I worked at Wagamama as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fast pace environment, good food and an easy environment for someone to quickly move into a server job if they do not have prior experience

Cons

All FOH employees share tips equally, service stations often have ten or more tables per server, newer company in the United States and doesn't currently have a lot of room for growth for employees.

The tip sharing policy encourages an environment where the higher caliber staff leaves and the lower quality staff stays. Tip sharing can work, but management needs to be sure to reward the better staff and be on top of the lower quality staff.

Pay is awesome

Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I worked at Wagamama

Pros

The pay was incredible for the type of restaurant Wagamamma is. Wagamamma has very quick turnover, and although individual bills rarely get to be too pricey, few linger very long in the restaurant and there are always customers ordering drinks. Plus, because it is more of a fast-food oriented place, the level of service expected by customers is not as demanding as other restaurants. People do not expect great service, and if one gives it to them, customers tip like crazy.

Cons

This is not an easy job. The restaurant is always busy and servers' side work is the most extensive of any restaurant that I've worked. If you are standing still, expect a chore to be delegated to you within 30 seconds. Management has proven to be somewhat disorganized in my experience.

wagamama boston

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wagamama

Pros

uk-based noodle house in US, solid training initially, fast paced, clean environment to work, good teamwork, food is tasty and benefits were above average for hospitality industry.

Cons

although large company overseas, still very small in US, not enough brand recognition yet, still getting their US legs under them, but dedicated people in place.

i filled out appropriate pros and cons for wagamama, but i do not think they need my advice on how to run their company any differently.

Wagamama Front of House Team Member Review

Former Employee - Front of House - Team Member in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front of House - Team Member in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Wagamama

Pros

Perks include: staff meals, flexible shifts, fantastic ongoing training, enjoyable work, good competitive pay that emphasises team working, Options to move up in the company.

Cons

Strict Company policy, which includes mystery diners - Immense pressure maybe passed down from managers over poor mystery diner performance, as Wagamama will push blame onto them. Mystery diners will often overlook how busy or short staffed you might be.

If you are about to start working for Wagamama, I would certainly recommend it, don't worry too much about the policy Wagamama enforces, in reality it isn't as strict as it seems. As long as you have a positive commitment to work, in a fast pace environment and don't mind working as an effective team, you will be absolutely fine.

Look out for your employees.

I understand that Wagamama head office will constantly be on your case. Your staff however, know which team your batting for and if you choose to side with head office they will likely resent it, resulting in poor performance and an overall reduction in work ethic/morale.

Sticking up for your staff will improve the teamwork qualities you so heavily rely on. I understand there are several options available to managers for rewarding good work, don't skimp out on these.

They gave me a chance to have a better life in a new country and I really thanks them for that, but...

Current Employee - FOH Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FOH Team Member in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wagamama full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like every day how they try to drive us (foh member) to improve sales according to respect company values. I write "try to" instead of "properly drive" because, in my personal opinion, not all of my supervisors and managers understand the real meaning of "team work". I am lucky to work for one the most busy branch of the company and close to Boris Kondratiev (my ex GM, one the best Sales I ever met in my life), that gave me a chance and helped me quickly to bridge the gap from my "italian way" and what the Company need by me. I like the way of Tamal (my new GM) different but respectful of a team already existing, as well. Karolis Kaunas is the only "black t-shirt" able to drive the team,during our breafing, keep going on the floor through the Company Values to the best selling performance.
    My favourite supervisors are Paul Taylor and Drale Pravialy (D.) because for them "the best customer service make the best money". Some of the "grey t-shirt" should be fired or replaced in some other, quite, branches because they make just stress and nervous to all the team during their shift and performance go down.

Cons

My case is different.I am one the age older FOH member but new in uk. My English is still not enough to do anything else even if I have a post graduated background in social psychology, hr and high level catering. Customer service is a kind of morning prayer, but i don't have the right sales attitude. This is the reason why my everyday challenges are just try to do my best as person, improve my sales and language skills

They are always focused on empowerment of performances tout court. It's fine but Tracking and Recording System should be improved/integrated/balanced in terms of Problem Based Learning.

good experience in people management

Current Employee - Front of the House Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Front of the House Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wagamama full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can step up if you work hard, some brilliant colleagues, staff meal, some flexibility

Cons

If your superior is not good it will make your life hard. Pressure from the top. Not a 9 to 5 job.

Try to motivate your staff. Cycle to work scheme. More hours and focus for staff training.

Good employer

I have been working at Wagamama full-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, organized company, constant opportunities for promotion.

Cons

If team work fails the restaurant becomes chaos.

Intense but sociable and collegiate working environment

Former Employee - Front of House - Team Member in Canterbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front of House - Team Member in Canterbury, England (UK)

I worked at Wagamama part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management encourage growth, great 'tips' package and social events to encourage a team environment

Cons

Hours can be quite long and career growth is limited by a limited availability of senior position

Possibly keep people to what they are good at e.g. waiting tables, rather than rotating duties on a shift-by-shift basis where you jack of all trades but master of none