Wagamama

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Hill

senior sou chef

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt 1st they value you as a person but the culture got change when the company become more American.

ConsThe upper management don't see the real picture hope they see it now

Pay is awesome

Server (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe pay was incredible for the type of restaurant Wagamamma is. Wagamamma has very quick turnover, and although individual bills rarely get to be too pricey, few linger very long in the restaurant and there are always customers ordering drinks. Plus, because it is more of a fast-food oriented place, the level of service expected by customers is not as demanding as other restaurants. People do not expect great service, and if one gives it to them, customers tip like crazy.

ConsThis is not an easy job. The restaurant is always busy and servers' side work is the most extensive of any restaurant that I've worked. If you are standing still, expect a chore to be delegated to you within 30 seconds. Management has proven to be somewhat disorganized in my experience.

wagamama boston

Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

Prosuk-based noodle house in US, solid training initially, fast paced, clean environment to work, good teamwork, food is tasty and benefits were above average for hospitality industry.

Consalthough large company overseas, still very small in US, not enough brand recognition yet, still getting their US legs under them, but dedicated people in place.

Advice to Senior Managementi filled out appropriate pros and cons for wagamama, but i do not think they need my advice on how to run their company any differently.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing. Mostly.

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsThe training is really thorough so people who are crap at the job leave pretty soon. I love how much the customers are massively into it as well, proper grins on their faces as the tuck into a katsu.
    Also the atmosphere is massively relaxed at work, everyone works efficiently and so customers and tasks weren't neglected at all and yet no one got stressed unnecessarily.

ConsWhen I was promoted to team leader, the benefits became abysmal. At first, I didn't mind the pay rise working out at only around £6-10 a week extra as we got more variety when choosing staff meals, authority over team members, extra responsibilities and the promise of getting trained to a management level. Within weeks of promotion all of these things were taken away and the only training I got was when I stayed back extra and convinced managers to let me shadow them a little to see what they did. By the end of it it seemed like all being a ryan leader really meant was a that I had to work later or earlier than everyone else with no likelihood of being sent home early (something I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't quickly taken away the ability of team leaders to do something as simple as void items from a bill or even talk to the kitchen at necessary moments)

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked under 3 GMs, the first was amazing. The other too seemed to be on massive power trips if I'm honest.

Perfect for short term and students

Front of House (Former Employee)
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

ProsThe people i worked with were all fantastic and hard working, made me feel welcome and at home. Helped me learn the menu and drinks quickly.

Consnot earning tips even when you'r on the floor. They were really short staffed so they wouldn't sign me off as quickly as i could of been signed off yet I would have half the restaurant as my section... seemed a little unfair

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager who has now left was awful and the area manager did nothing about this when I complained. The staff were all too scared for their jobs. The rest of the managers worked amazingly and we were really short staffed so the tips were awesome, but we worked better when the previous manager was not in, which was lucky as he called in absent A LOT!

We also had no senior floor team or any clear route for progression, one day it was just decided that one of the staff would wear a different colour top and it didn't really mean or change anything.

the best employer in the uk, hands down!

Proscontinuous development, faith in your abilities

Consit's a lifestyle, not a job

Honest, Different, Brilliant

Waiter (Current Employee)
    Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsFresh food that you can be proud to serve to customers and its very trendy, we get free staff food every shift that we work, the training we receive is brilliant and more than whats required which allows us to go above and beyond whats needed. As such a big and fast growing company there is plenty of opportunity to progress in your career.

ConsA lot more focus seems to be on the stores in the south of the country and the northern stores feel slightly second best, theres plenty of opportunity to progress in your career if you are willing to relocate and with the majority of sites opening being midlands and further south theres not as much opportunity in the north. Some of the head office team are awful, especially recruitment; disorganised and just plain rude at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like career progression to be looked at by people other than just your own GM, a kind of talent scout for progression would be good, some GM's don't see what previous GMs have or simply just don't take a shine to you

Awesome! ( when there isnt a horrible General Manager in charge)

Team Member (Former Employee)
    Leicester, England (UK)

ProsMake some great relationships with people
    Loved the job
    Well paid when with tips
    all about being proud about being honest different and brilliant!

ConsI wouldn't say its a Con cause i enjoyed it, but for some it can be very fasted paced and multi tasking is essential so i wouldn't work there if you can't cope with that sort of environment.
    I had one incident when We had an awful general manager who ruined our store and staff. morla was low no body wanted to work or half the time even be nice to each other. It was a horrible work environment and everyone hated it, many left it was just awful. this only happend once in my time being there and for people who had been there longer it had never happened before. It is rare, but so it never happens again, Make sure head chefs and GM's get on together, as well as with the staff before hiring them, it would prevent this situation before it has the change to happen again. Maybe even have the Head chef as part of the hiring process, obviously not for the final say but for their opinions, a Happy store with happy staff will make lots more money than one that is unbearable to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs said before The main FOH managers were amaing and couldnt help me enough when I needed it, but when hiring General Managers, ensure they can work well together with the head chef as well as the staff before hiring them to increase staff retention, morale and money in effect rather than lose it to someone who only cares about figures and not his staff.

That was the best place I have worked for. Great people. I miss you guys.

Front of the House Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsI love food and I love people working there

Consyou have to be very strong in many ways

Advice to Senior Managementjust hire good people

company is aimed profit first, and that have resulted in malfunction in all various aspects of restaurant.

BOH Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Norwich, England (UK)

ProsIt's a great place to make career. But remember never to argue with your boss.

ConsBeing able to reach the dead lines is like running 100m under 10 sec. each day.
    Training is only provided for new restaurant's and some sous chef's. For simple line shefs you must be happy if you get one day training.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvaricious pays twice more.

Worked for Wagamama? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wagamama reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wagamama CEO Steve Hill. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Wagamama employees.