Wagamama

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Hill

senior sou chef

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt 1st they value you as a person but the culture got change when the company become more American.

ConsThe upper management don't see the real picture hope they see it now

Good for money

FOH (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsUnique server position. Team mentality. No hostess, bartender, server division, everyone does everything. A good amount of money and you can get hired with no serving experience.
    Usually walk out with $100 for a pm shift. I've made over $300 working from about noon to 10 pm. (Although that's rare and not even worth the money).

ConsPooled tips allow some people to be lazy and others to do everything. Most don't take advantage but the few that do seem to be able to stick around for a very long time. The team work thing can result in miscommunications being a much bigger deal than they need to be. Also, there is never anyone specific to blame when something goes wrong so a lot of time is spent going over basics because one person messes up repeatedly.

A stepping stone company to get experience so that someone can move into a better company

Server (Former Employee) Lynnfield, MA

ProsFast pace environment, good food and an easy environment for someone to quickly move into a server job if they do not have prior experience

ConsAll FOH employees share tips equally, service stations often have ten or more tables per server, newer company in the United States and doesn't currently have a lot of room for growth for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tip sharing policy encourages an environment where the higher caliber staff leaves and the lower quality staff stays. Tip sharing can work, but management needs to be sure to reward the better staff and be on top of the lower quality staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay is awesome

Server (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe pay was incredible for the type of restaurant Wagamamma is. Wagamamma has very quick turnover, and although individual bills rarely get to be too pricey, few linger very long in the restaurant and there are always customers ordering drinks. Plus, because it is more of a fast-food oriented place, the level of service expected by customers is not as demanding as other restaurants. People do not expect great service, and if one gives it to them, customers tip like crazy.

ConsThis is not an easy job. The restaurant is always busy and servers' side work is the most extensive of any restaurant that I've worked. If you are standing still, expect a chore to be delegated to you within 30 seconds. Management has proven to be somewhat disorganized in my experience.

wagamama boston

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosuk-based noodle house in US, solid training initially, fast paced, clean environment to work, good teamwork, food is tasty and benefits were above average for hospitality industry.

Consalthough large company overseas, still very small in US, not enough brand recognition yet, still getting their US legs under them, but dedicated people in place.

Advice to Senior Managementi filled out appropriate pros and cons for wagamama, but i do not think they need my advice on how to run their company any differently.

exciting !

General Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosstill feels like family
    you can be yourself
    you are supported
    you get the best training and of course great food

Consworking with a lot of people from different backrounds
    long hours
    dealing with general public

Advice to Senior Managementmore benefits for senior managers and better bonus plans based not only on cold numbers

Amazing. Mostly.

Team Leader (Former Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsThe training is really thorough so people who are crap at the job leave pretty soon. I love how much the customers are massively into it as well, proper grins on their faces as the tuck into a katsu.
    Also the atmosphere is massively relaxed at work, everyone works efficiently and so customers and tasks weren't neglected at all and yet no one got stressed unnecessarily.

ConsWhen I was promoted to team leader, the benefits became abysmal. At first, I didn't mind the pay rise working out at only around £6-10 a week extra as we got more variety when choosing staff meals, authority over team members, extra responsibilities and the promise of getting trained to a management level. Within weeks of promotion all of these things were taken away and the only training I got was when I stayed back extra and convinced managers to let me shadow them a little to see what they did. By the end of it it seemed like all being a ryan leader really meant was a that I had to work later or earlier than everyone else with no likelihood of being sent home early (something I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't quickly taken away the ability of team leaders to do something as simple as void items from a bill or even talk to the kitchen at necessary moments)

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked under 3 GMs, the first was amazing. The other too seemed to be on massive power trips if I'm honest.

company is aimed profit first, and that have resulted in malfunction in all various aspects of restaurant.

BOH Team Leader (Current Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsIt's a great place to make career. But remember never to argue with your boss.

ConsBeing able to reach the dead lines is like running 100m under 10 sec. each day.
    Training is only provided for new restaurant's and some sous chef's. For simple line shefs you must be happy if you get one day training.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvaricious pays twice more.

Perfect for short term and students

Front of House (Former Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

ProsThe people i worked with were all fantastic and hard working, made me feel welcome and at home. Helped me learn the menu and drinks quickly.

Consnot earning tips even when you'r on the floor. They were really short staffed so they wouldn't sign me off as quickly as i could of been signed off yet I would have half the restaurant as my section... seemed a little unfair

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager who has now left was awful and the area manager did nothing about this when I complained. The staff were all too scared for their jobs. The rest of the managers worked amazingly and we were really short staffed so the tips were awesome, but we worked better when the previous manager was not in, which was lucky as he called in absent A LOT!

We also had no senior floor team or any clear route for progression, one day it was just decided that one of the staff would wear a different colour top and it didn't really mean or change anything.

the best employer in the uk, hands down!

Proscontinuous development, faith in your abilities

Consit's a lifestyle, not a job

Worked for Wagamama? Contribute to the Community!