WageWorks

Add Photos

Joe Jackson

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worked as a Senior Project Manager

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at WageWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent company for showcasing your technical and managerial skills; organization recognizes delivery achievements. It is a leading provider of tax-advantaged benefits in Healthcare and Commuter.

ConsOn and off downsizing the company, so there is no job guarantee.

Okay place to work if you are management...they are the only ones who seem to get "perks"

I have been working at WageWorks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice office, nice area/location, decent people working in the office

ConsNO perks for the little people at all!! Nothing! Lucky if we get a "merit" increase, which you hope is a whole 3%!!! Oh, and that MIGHT cover the health insurance increase that one might have for the new year. The little people will never get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the "non management" folks something for goodness sake! Some kind of INCENTIVE to WANT to work there because we like it - not because we HAVE to because the job market sucks right now!

Great place to work

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at WageWorks

Pros- strong commitment by executive management to ensue WW is the industry's leading company
- executive management are very talented and committed to success
- employees tend to be very nice people
- good team building efforts such as Friday afternoon mixers, office holiday celebrations
- good systems and excellent in-house IT support

Cons- could have done with more frequent communication regarding personal performance from direct supervisors, but noted improvements were made as HR implemented a more robust annual review process and encouraged more frequent dialogue

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked Employees with Little or No Benefits

I have been working at WageWorks

ProsOverall nice people to work with.

ConsWorst leadership from senior management. Benefit plan is shabby.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and time to make some changes.

Narrow focused job duties; micro-management by the managers

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at WageWorks

Pros- Comfortable office environment
- Nice and friendly co-workers
- Good location with Wholefoods, Crunch Gym, restaurants and parks nearby
- Managers are supportive of giving long time-offs and work-life balance

Cons- I observed that a lot of people stick to the same positions for years without any promotions, trainings, or cross-training within the department. This is a disappointing sign of growth and advancement at WW.
- My managers tend to micro-manage my routine tasks. They would ask for a daily update in a hour-long meeting every day, critize me if I don't know how to encounter certain issues (while they didn't do a good job coaching me in the first place), and stand behind me looking at what I am doing sometimes. This is very annoying, and display their dis-trust in their staff.
- There are zero office wide social events and town hall meetings, which are very important for a company to connect people, get message across and let people develop relationships cross-functionally.
- HR is not doing its job by checking in with the employees, esp. the new hires. They just pretend they care about you, but they don't. They are not active in seeking more employee benefits or discounts.

Advice to Senior Management- Provide better compensation packages, including more competitive and close to industry standard salary, and better retirement and health insurance benefits.
- Organize more office-wide events for people to join and have fun.
- Improve the communication between upper management and fellow employees. Don't be too proud of sitting in the C-Suite offices!

Come back John!

Database Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at WageWorks

ProsGreat group of people to work with. All of the earlier, pre new management staff are very professional and collaborative to work with. Always willing to join the effort and get the job done.

ConsThe new regime has it's own vision of a once great company to work for. A definite division has been created between the legacy office in San Mateo (HQ) and the new office in Mequon, WI. The odd part is that the Mequon office now has forced out the HQ talent in lieu of favoritism for less skilled people.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the blood and sweat that brought the company to where it is today. Don't lose site of the products that pay the bills and payroll (Commuter & FSA).

Fast growing company went through lots of changes and growth

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at WageWorks

ProsFast growing company in interesting industry, with innovative proprietary technology and product offering. Dedicated staff. Company has been working to improve itself.

ConsBad placements in senior management and lack of leadership, lots of turnover, inefficiencies, can be stressful with many hours spent at work

Advice to Senior ManagementThe relationship that management has with employees has a lot of room for improvement. Company wide communication still needs help.

Geographic splitting of a great company.

Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at WageWorks

ProsGreat opportunity to lean about the benefits provider industry, allowed to work within your own time frame (flexible hours). Opportunity to learn about various sectors of the benefits industry (FSA, dependent care, cobra, commuter).

ConsThe management structure is divided between different locations (San Mateo-executive, Mequon WI, senior management) making dissemination of information spotty. There was a high degree of favoritism paid to employees in the Mequon, WI office for promotions. Essentially, if you knew the right people, regardless of your skill or accomplishments, you were given greater opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of the team or product that got WageWorks where it is today. Diversification is important, but it was on the back of WageWorks' initial commuter product.

WW

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WageWorks

Prosthere are pockets of good Individual managers

Consexecutive staff micro manages director level employees

Advice to Senior Managementget the ship back facing foward

A good company to work for if you can handle the red tape...

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at WageWorks

ProsWageWorks is a large company that allows the ability to move up in the ladder once you establish yourself there. The people are generally nice (but see below) and the people who take their job seriously, take their job seriously.

ConsThe company communications can get a little jammed sometimes and not everyone is informed of changes. The upper management have no clue about how anything below them runs and acts surprised when anything is brought up about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees are not a number and it's your guys' responsibilities with budgeting, so don't expect lower employees to deal with them. Also, follow through with expectations and promises (and emails).

Worked for WageWorks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WageWorks reviews and ratings in San Mateo, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WageWorks CEO Joe Jackson. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by WageWorks employees.