Waggener Edstrom Communications Reviews

Reset
2.6
Waggener Edstrom Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Pros
  • You can work from home, flexible schedule (in 16 reviews)

• The company is very committed to work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance at all coz your superior will whatsapp you 24/7 (in 25 reviews)

• Long hours and unclear and inconsistencies on expectations for what it takes to keep moving up (in 10 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people, great benefits and the opportunity to work with top brands!

Cons

The office is way off the beaten path and is too large of space for the amount of people in Oregon.

Mean Girls

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

office is really nice lots of windows

Cons

People here are mean and fake to each other, I couldn't wait for my contract to end so I could leave.Most of the people that work here are fake spoiled snobs.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to be cool and just get some work done instead of dumping it on who ever is below you.

Toxic and Aging.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time

Pros

They have a strong 401 K program and an average health care program.

Cons

If you have seen the movie Heathers or Mean Girls, it sums up the culture and mission of WE. This alone should give you pause prior to joining this "Sorority" filled haven. Leaders have stayed too long and look the other way to achieve marginal success.

Advice to Management

Your day has passed. Open your eyes to the toxic environment that you call first in class. Most hires don't even stay beyond a 1 year time frame.

5. Great for someone starting out their career.

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career and management development.

Cons

Can be very stressful for extended periods of time.

6. AE

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

I really enjoyed the projects and the client work. The people are great and the leadership team for consumer PR is fantastic.

Cons

The commute to LO, the pay is far under market and the promotion cycle is usually gone through very quickly and in frequently.

In a state of spiraling decline

Current Employee - Account Team in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Account Team in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Impressive client roster promises opportunities to do amazing global integrated comms. Some great creative and spirited colleagues, decent benefits and the promise of work-life balance.

Cons

Cube constricted mindset, hierarchical and increasingly divided between leaders who have overstayed and the people doing the work. Clients that will churn ad nauseum, working hours that extend into nights and weekends without restraint, management that vacillates between blamegaming and cheerleading, there is a complete air of distrust at present. If you're looking for mentorship, collaboration, opportunities to learn from those with more experience, or consistent opportunities to do work that aligns to your title, go elsewhere. If you work in Portland, be very wary of opportunities to grow beyond the mid-level without relocating to Seattle.

Advice to Management

There is a vast disconnect between the company vision and the daily reality. Employees have lost faith in the ability to win new business and for a candid dialogue about future vision. It's well-past time for an earnest reassessment and housecleaning to bring in fresh ideas and vision.

Good place to start your career, but not for growing it

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good time off. WE offers a very generous starting vacation package to each of its employees. It's the one reason I stuck around as long as I did. They also have a sabbatical offer after 7 years, but good luck holding your sanity long enough to cash that in. I couldn't. - Great health care. The quality of health care benefits was starting to dissipate by the time I left but it still had a leg up on many other big companies. - Well-respected clients. You'll be hard pressed to find an organization with clients as reputable and impressive as Microsoft, regardless of the unique challenges that brings. - Good place to start your career. Working for a large agency offers so many valuable career and life lessons that I am grateful to have had.

Cons

- Too much micromanaging. Get ready for every single email you send to be scrutinized by at least one person higher than you. I spent more time reviewing/editing/re-reviewing emails for myself and others than I would like to admit. A solid waste of resources, as well as demoralizing. This is a BIG part of your day, so it's important to be prepared for this. - Promotions are inconsistent. Promotion standards are completely inconsistent across all accounts, which leads to fierce competition amongst Junior staff to grab the next title, even though it means a lot of nothing. - Awful work-life balance. Get ready to work many 16-hour days with little to no recognition or compensation. - Pay isn't competitive. WE is known for paying less than the market standard, which I found true once I started looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Try and build up your employees a little more. Recognize when they are doing a good job to boost morale and keep spirits high. A little of that goes a long way.

Good people, frustrating culture

Former Employee - Account Director in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Account Director in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, generally well-intentioned leadership, generally good work/life-balance. Decent health benefits, though that was changing as I left the company.

Cons

Lots of politics, demanding clients, very limited growth options as you get to the Account Director level - especially in the Portland office. Compensation and benefits kept eroding over the time I was there.

10. Started as a GREAT place to work then it slowly dwindled

Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on the resume. Overall, great Work-Life balance, especially compared to other companies. They really tried to work with you and your schedule. During my time there the senior level execs seemed very transparent, although not sure if that's the same now. At times the work itself can be tedious, but other times it was interesting, especially if you enjoy the tech industry.

Cons

Mid-level management could have been more transparent. I enjoyed working there, but due to budget cuts and other reasons the company has gone through some rounds of layoffs. Almost seems like it's a slowly sinking ship. I do hope things improve and they continue to strengthen. Sadly compensation and benefits has suffered over the years.

Advice to Management

Stay as transparent as you can. Focus on retaining good quality workforce and not layoff people because they're at the higher salary range. Also promote people who deserve it, not based on seniority.

Company that treats its people well - misguided leadership at times

Former Employee - Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people there are amazing, for the most part! It very much felt like a family when I worked there and still stay in contact with many people I used to work with. Loyalty pays off and is rewarded. In most cases, hard work equals advancement.

Cons

Can be cliquish at times. Much of what you learn is not necessarily transferrable to other agencies. Loyalty can be detrimental to advancement with other companies. Leadership is very loyal and makes it hard to advance as there is little room to move up.

RSS Feed </> Embed