Waggener Edstrom Communications

Waggener Edstrom Communications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Waggener Edstrom Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Pros:
  • "impressive vacation package for all employees and flexible work from home polices for middle/upper management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "The company is very committed to work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Zero Work Life Balance: With paying for your internet/mobile, you are expected to be on call 24/7"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Long hours and unclear and inconsistencies on expectations for what it takes to keep moving up"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Serious about work/life balance. Positive impact of external hires.

Bellevue, WA

ProsThe COO recently asked everyone on our team to take some time to "recharge our batteries" and get serious about taking vacation time, work from home days, early Fridays or whatever it takes to take good care of ourselves and achieve work/ life balance. I've never worked for a company where the leaders actually walk the talk about balance--particularly at the C-suite level--very impressive. Senior leaders here have started to strategically bring in some external hires to the leadership table, which has made a positive impact on strategic planning conversations for our future. They are also very supportive of employee's participation in outside professional organizations, etc. I've been impressed with the level of transparency that the agency as a whole and it's leaders have demonstrated thus far. Benefits here are the best of any job I've ever had. Opportunity to work in another global office for 2 weeks through the Global Exchange program--great way to learn about co-workers half way across the world and learn about another culture. The agency makes investments in team building activities--our entire team chose to do glass blowing this year--which was really cool. I've never worked for a company that took team building so seriously.

ConsOpen work environment in the Bellevue office (no walls), can be a challenge for more Introverted types to adjust to--but I just learned to communicate with my co-workers about my needs, and wear my headphones to help block out extra noise. It's a gorgeous office, though.

Consumer Practice Intern

Consumer Practice (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThey make it a fun environment to be in, they have a great work culture. Everyone goes out of their way to help and provide assistance.

ConsMy boss was based out of a different state so it made it difficult to learn as much as I would have liked. I felt like my work was overlooked compared to the other interns who had on-site bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the intern's bosses are in the office to set them up for success.

Company that treats its people well - misguided leadership at times

Manager (Former Employee)
    Lake Oswego, OR

ProsThe people there are amazing, for the most part! It very much felt like a family when I worked there and still stay in contact with many people I used to work with. Loyalty pays off and is rewarded. In most cases, hard work equals advancement.

ConsCan be cliquish at times. Much of what you learn is not necessarily transferrable to other agencies. Loyalty can be detrimental to advancement with other companies. Leadership is very loyal and makes it hard to advance as there is little room to move up.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun People, Poor Management

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThe people and casual, fun environment are the best things about WE

ConsIt's like a sorority. Very catty and a lot of passive aggressive managers. Promotions are based on whether or not you have a cool manager and not if you do a great job. Management doesn't ever try to do anything new. They say they are an innovative company, but they definitely aren't. They say they are their own company, yet they pretty much do whatever Microsoft does.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and try something new. Step out on the ledge. If you're going to say you're innovative, BE innovative.

Waggener Edstrom Communications is just that - communications.

Account Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThe work environment is friendly, productive and cultivates learning. Employees are often encouraged to take their paid time off (if they actually have the time to).

ConsPay is a bit low. Generally, most employees spend more time sitting in front of a computer emailing than anything else. Each email must be professionally formatted, and corporate buzz words are a must. Team leads throw low level work at people who are overly qualified for their position, and demand tight deadlines. Although many employees move up quickly, they are still doing the same low-level work with a different title.

I enjoyed Waggener for the first couple of years until I realized how cliquish it really is.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture and good benefits.

ConsYou will not be promoted unless you are part of the clique (the exclusive club of the seniority who controls ALL), no matter what your skills are.

Waggener Edstrom is a great company that really puts it people first

Office Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThey offer opportunities for their administrative staff that other companies do not seem to do.

ConsI don't have any at the moment

Good experience during early stages of PR career

ProsGreat training ground for PR, lots of really fun, smart people and its good to work with fortune 500 clients.

ConsLong hours and unclear and inconsistencies on expectations for what it takes to keep moving up. Easy to get burned out and the momentum is hard to maintain as you move up and start a family. Work/life balance is an issue.

Horrible Place To Work

Portland, OR

ProsNone, this company is horrible. Every negative review on this site is 100% correct. The positive ones are drinking the WE Kool-Aid.

ConsMisguided management, low pay, employees are disposable and not treated well, office politics, passive aggressive co-workers, horrible office environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making promise that you don't act on.

Risk averse, error intolerant

Seattle, WA

ProsThe company is very committed to work/life balance.

Cons-Too much redundancy means frequently work is not directed toward actual goals, instead focused on filling time
    -Risk averse and error intolerant. This means it's not safe to be creative or do interesting things. The work and products become boring, uninspired and repetitive and it totally saps the confidence from employees. Very disappointing.
    -Benefits and salary increases have steadily gotten worse and worse. Growth is based on schedule, not on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMistakes and imperfections will always happen when people do interesting, compelling and unique work. It's a natural result of venturing into the unknown. Paying lip service to creativity isn't enough - you need to create a culture that nurtures it. That means you need to make a safe space for occasional errors.

Worked for Waggener Edstrom Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Waggener Edstrom Communications Videos

Waggener Edstrom Communications – Why Work for Us?

You Bring the Passion. We’ll Supply the Opportunities. Every innovation starts with a big idea, but it is how you tell its story that makes an impact. That’s where we come in. As a global communications agency, we use… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waggener Edstrom Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Waggener Edstrom Communications CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin. All 142 reviews posted anonymously by Waggener Edstrom Communications employees.