Waggener Edstrom Communications

Toxic and Aging.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time

Pros

They have a strong 401 K program and an average health care program.

Cons

If you have seen the movie Heathers or Mean Girls, it sums up the culture and mission of WE. This alone should give you pause prior to joining this "Sorority" filled haven. Leaders have stayed too long and look the other way to achieve marginal success.

Advice to Management

Your day has passed. Open your eyes to the toxic environment that you call first in class. Most hires don't even stay beyond a 1 year time frame.

Account Coordinator

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career. WE is a recognizable agency with an EXTREMELY reputable client (Microsoft). The benefits are fantastic and the work can be rewarding when paired with the right team and manager.

Cons

That's the flip side. I have seen many people driven away from the agency due to poor management. It really is a hit or miss at WE. A majority of people who depart the agency do so due to a bad manager experience. In fact, WE has been experiencing huge turnovers in the past year. Plus, it is never a good thing to have too many eggs in one basket (Microsoft).

Advice to Management

Be wary of your middle management. Either they work people to quitting or aspire those to work diligently. Unfortunately, there are too many people in the mid management (Account Managers, SAEs) that do not know how to manage their teams.

A bit tumultuous as Waggener Edstrom finds its place in evolving PR/Marketing/Digital environment

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Waggener Edstrom has supportive leadership, a solid benefits package and a talented workforce. It provides great entry level opportunities and a clear career path for those with a communications background.

Cons

Despite a desire to diversify, continues to be too Microsoft-centric (limits variety of work). Also, due to it's core competency in PR, Waggener Edstrom has struggled with finding it's footing with digital.

Advice to Management

Continue evaluation of organization's business model to address the lack of incentive for teams to collaborate/use members from other teams.

Good overall, still needs some work

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

The people here are all friendly and everyone works really hard. Collaboration is definitely a strong suit of the agency. While there's obviously a hierarchy, everyone is approachable here. The work is also enjoyable, but that definitely depends on what team you're on. There's definitely a lot of room to learn many different skills here at the agency and it seems like the agency is really committed to developing its employees (learning & development sessions, global exchange, supporting moves to other teams within the agency, even helping moves to other offices/states!). The benefits are pretty great as well, especially the PTO.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like the agency lacks that certain je ne sais quoi, the agency really needs to find itself. There's such great work done but it isn't reflected outside the agency. You look at the competition and realize that the agency needs to be fiercer and more aggressive. This also affects the larger issue of diversifying and attracting new clients.

Advice to Management

Look for advice from everyone. We all want the agency to succeed. It's frustrating when we're great at collaborating for clients but don't put the time/effort into collaborating for ourselves/the agency. Making client work a priority is great, but we need to attract more client work to keep evolving which means we need to stop being so heads down in it.

6. Great for someone starting out their career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career and management development.

Cons

Can be very stressful for extended periods of time.

7. Loved my colleagues but lost confidence in leadership

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time

Pros

I worked with some of the best people in the Communications industry. Great benefits. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

I was once a very proud employee but the shift in board level leadership over the past couple of years saw a negative cultural change that will be hard to turn around. Too many people at the top taking the credit for the hard work of others but not the blame for big failures.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest about your plans. Too many back room conversations and sneaky management decisions have undermined trust in leadership.

good benefits, OK salary, catty coworkers

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

Well the vacation package is amazing. 4 weeks of PTO is nuts and awesome--I only wish I was paid enough that I could afford 4 weeks of vacation a year. :P But truthfully, if they like you and want to keep you, my feeling is that WE will make all sorts of adjustments and deals to do that. Additionally, and I think this benefit is more important/helpful for junior account staff, the learning and development program is amazing. If you're new to PR or the professional world, their L&D program will legitimately teach you all the skills you need to succeed--that's why people say it's such a good place to start your career.

Cons

Depending on the account and your manager, there is a very real chance you will be worked to death/quitting. The time off policies are nice but if your manager is the sort of person who wants you online at 8pm, you need be online at 8pm. It's unfair and unfortunately I've had both types of managers: good ones and ones who worked me to death.

It's a competitive work environment, which is good sometimes, but also leads to people grabbing/hoarding good projects and opportunities so they can get promoted.

Finally, and this had always been my criticism of WaggEd, they need to stop hiring the same cookie cutter sorority girl or they will get the same ideas coming to the table over and over again. Just more diversity in general would help this company immeasurably.

Advice to Management

Well, first of all, you need to stop this BS regressive benefit system. There is this de-facto acknowledgement that you don't get/deserve a quality of life or work life balance until you've made it to the SAE level or higher. A quality of life--a balanced life--should be something you guarantee to your employees right off the bat because you care about them.

Also move to Seattle. Creative ideas/companies/startups/the future are not coming out of Bellevue.

Political environment, terrible management

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time

Pros

Nice work environment from a perks perspective, overall good skill development programs if you are just starting a career.

Cons

Terrible management, catty environment, abysmal compensation for the number of hours you will actually work. No life/work balance, intense micromanagement of every single daily process. Hires mostly sorority/fraternity types, does not value intelligence or creativity. If you want to be a cog in a machine, this place is for you!

Advice to Management

Start training your managers and focus on retaining your best and brightest.

10. Great Company, work hard and you will benefit, great people, great environment

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible for time off and schedule, great office atmosphere, smart and supportive employees, lots of programs and perks

Cons

depending on team, work can be stressful and can undervalue employees

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and open to new ideas.

Diverse opportunities, Supportive Managers and Colleagues, High Degree of Flexibility

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees who want to contribute to shaping the company's future have the opportunity to help chart the course (if they have courage and are curious)

The workplace flexibility options are excellent. We're encouraged to speak with managers to discuss options based on individual circumstance (90% of my managers have been very supportive and very trusting)

WE has an impressive selection of programs to support personal passions and professional development: leadership groups, support to serve on the boards of charities, training and development curriculum, sponsorship to participate in community races, wellness program, opportunity to travel to another WE office for 2 weeks (Global Exchange) and paid volunteer benefit.

Cons

Decision making can sometimes be slow (although this is changing. The company, just like the industry and every company, is positively evolving).

Advice to Management

Continue to engage employees in designing the WE of tomorrow, act fast, prioritize and decentralize.
    Preserve what made WE unique in the beginning.

RSS Feed </> Embed