Waitrose

Be The First To
Add Photos

Waitrose Managing Director Mark Price

Mark Price

Pros:
  • "Good benefit system including large discount at john lewis"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Annual bonus and great discount, 15% in Waitrose 12/25% in John Lewis"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Trying to hold the part time job whilst doing A-levels was demanding due to overtime requests"
    in 5 reviews
  • "High percentage of part-time staff don't seem to care a great deal, making it unpleasant for partners who do more hours/are more "full-time"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

family orientated

Ambient Assistant (Current Employee)
    West Ealing, England (UK)

Proseverything ,you have the opportunities to further your career ,you get the help, encouragement ,and support needed .Management are open to your ideas ,social activities

ConsWaitrose is all about the partnership ,everyone is an equal partner from the day you start and it is our responsibility to do the best for our company ,after 25 years service each partner is rewarded with 6 months payed leave also yearly we get a bonus

Advice to Senior Managementalways speak to your partners remembering their names if possible

Not the place it used to be

Prosbenefits but starting to be not significant now

Cons1960's management and too many chiefs not enough indians, those at top don't want change as they already earn enough and feel their jobs may be under threat if they cannot adapt to change, instead we have to adapt to their backward views and thinking. Hiring of people from other companies has diluted the Partnership principles, eventually we will just be numbers like the rest of the retail industry

Advice to Senior ManagementYounger forward thinking people needed in management, talent review across all levels, and job leveling is a disaster, unhappy unappreciated Partners is on a steady increase

Fantastic place to work and a great opportunities for personal development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company values, benefits such as discounts in store, bonus and John Lewis holiday homes are brilliant. Good appraisal system and regular 1 to 1s to ensure personal development.

ConsNot many other than Bracknell head office location isn't great. Lack of work socials sometimes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Employer

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee)
    Southampton, England (UK)

ProsFantastic company to work for, excellent culture from the majority of staff, plenty of perks (many of which i didn't get round to using however), pays well for the type of work, and most staff are happy to be at work which makes for a better environment.

ConsSome team leaders were not supportive of moving hours around during students exams times, but this did not seem to be a widespread issue

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not keep staff with high potential as temps for too long, as this proved to be an issue when trying to progress into management

Empowerment at every level, but for how much longer...

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Lichfield, England (UK)

ProsExcellent day to day working environment, with like minded people who care about the business and are all working towards the same goal. Offers excellent training opportunities from 'Specialist' training to operational courses. As a Partner you are given the opportunity to put as much in should you wish as you are a co-owner. Annual bonus and great discount, 15% in Waitrose 12/25% in John Lewis.

ConsVery hard to progress from a Customer Assistant role up to Management roles, expecting you to deliver a Managers role without any training, progression, for a long period of time 12 months+
    Managers can be very poor, lack procedural knowledge (personnel) at store level and do not work with the team. Company increasingly trying to compete with the big 4 putting more pressure on staff and expecting more as a 'Partner' whilst paying the least amount at CA level out of all the Supermarket chains.
    Branch Managers can be a law unto themselves with no union to protect staff who are largely unaware of their rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of CA/Team Leaders are leaving the company to go elsewhere because progression is very tough and expectations are too high, invest in assessments free to all and training program's, Personnel Managers lack procedure knowledge in stores and some decisions can be questionable, use initiatives to link sale back into store, rather than ajust a free coffee with a MyCard, try a free coffee if you buy a paper or cake in the coffee shop for instance

Mixed feelings about being employed by Waitrose

Food Service Partner (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsMy colleagues, most of the people that i worked with were great

Consnot being given enough hours to be able to pay my rent and buy food to eat! I was quite literally going with out food while working for a food company! I ended up geting quite depressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the Living wage to your lowest paid "Staff" AKA partners! they deserve it! I left because although i liked the ethos of the company I quite literally could not aford to work there any longer.

waitrose

Warehouse Opretive (Current Employee)
    Preston, North West England, England (UK)

Prospay my bills keeps me busy

Consstress mangers dont have a clue what they are doing

Advice to Senior Managementsort breaks out

Best Supermarket Job You'll Ever Land

Waitrose Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsAnnual Bonus which has ranged from 14% - 18%
    Discount - 15% at Waitrose, 25% at John Lewis.
    You are a Partner - and can influence decisions being made across the business.
    Excellent training opportunities. Training schemes run regularly. Can progress swiftly if you are keen.
    Selling quality products means the only selling techniques you need are keeping customers happy.
    Excellent ethos which you are expected to take on board.

ConsCertain customers may take advantage of you sometimes when they are aware we put them on a pedestal.
    Management in branch can appear hands-off.
    Stores are so popular than it is hectic at peak trading.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefresh older branches to at least look of the same era as new build stores.
    Bonus % should be higher than it was this year based on it being our best year yet.

Uncaring company

Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee)
    Crewe, England (UK)

ProsGood staff discount at both waitrose and John lewis, excellent subsidies towards theatre and music events. Chance to do night school programmes.

ConsNever valued by management, pushed to the limits,uncaring.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider and value your staff, management to speak to staff as they would wish to be spoken to themselves with respect. Be respectful regarding serious illnesses.A little support whilst facing serious illnesses.

frustration at its finest

Shop Assistant (Current Employee)
    Leicester, England (UK)

ProsIt's decent as you get a good pay and benefits such as the partner discount

ConsMy manager is not capable to do his job. I have never been so frustrated at any of my other managers as I have with my current. No organization, No desire to work, Lazy and extremely rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff at the bottom and DO SOMETHING when they have addressed a clear issue / problem that they are not happy about. Managers seem to be able to do pretty much anything and get away with it.

Worked for Waitrose? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waitrose reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Waitrose CEO Mark Price. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Waitrose employees.