Waitrose Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
156 reviews filtered by

Underpaid

Current Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in Wilmslow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in Wilmslow, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus and nothing all else but.

Cons

Pay for performance is load of rubbish for the type of job you do. You will never get a pay rise unless you move into another role.

pay more to long serving employees

2. Great company

I worked at Waitrose part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very good work environment making it easy to enjoy the job whilst surrounded by friendly people including great benefits

Cons

Sometimes hire too many younger staff in retail branches meaning that around busy periods it can be difficult with the new inexperienced staff

3. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Checkout Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun people, great student job , decent pay

15% off waitrose goods
    25% off John Lewis goods
    Paid time and a half on Sundays

Cons

Young people often left with the late Weekend work

5. Great place to work with added benefits.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With on-the-job training, annual bonus and discount at JL & Waitrose, working for the Partnership is a great place to be. The staff on your level are mostly down to earth as they all have a share in the same business and always love to share customer related experiences. Waitrose are very courteous when it comes to sickness and time-off.

Cons

It can be hard to develop in a thriving business like Waitrose - it really is down to the individual. In other words, it's hard to be recognised for your talent. Instead you really do have to shout it out to managers to at least make them aware. Branch management can be questioned too, with some not even demonstrating even half as much of the passion as the section they manage puts out. Then there's the Waitrose reputation that you have to keep up too, which can diminish self-esteem at times when dealing with customers who think they are royalty, but the benefits and annual bonus make up for that so I can't really complain...that's customer service after all.

Manager positions, in particular Assistant Section Manager roles need reviewing. The lack of a younger management team results in traditional old-fashioned methods of management which do not work in modern business. Recognising talent needs to be carried out a lot more. There are many Partners out there who have advanced skill sets but are too timid in boasting. Interviews aren't as thorough as they used to be.

6. Excellent company to work for/with. The benefits are wonderful.

Former Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits such as money off at restaurants, subsidised movie and festival tickets, an alton towers 'Partner Takeover' annually and much more (plus a nice bonus in march). Always lots of flexible overtime available. Everybody there was so lovely. There's also a 'partner voice' so you can voice all of your opinions, concerns and ideas up to the management.

Cons

Although it may have just been my experience, people tend to move about a bit (from branch to branch), which was sad - especially after you had got to know them. But you make new friends anyway!

7. Except flexibility for part time work

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- very flexible as a student: Waitrose allowed to me to work at my home brand when home for the university holidays and then at a branch near my university during term time. Brilliant.
    -the bonus is amazing every March
    - overtime was always offered back at my home branch during uni holidays
    - pay was good for part time work
    - good working conditions and company sick pay
    - excellent staff facilities including a subsidised canteen
    - good training and support
    - good discount at Waitrose and John Lewis
    - room to progress if you were full time, meant moving around branches but development was encouraged
    - opportunities for part time staff to help set up new stores

Cons

- very strict management, sometimes felt as though they were trying to catch you out

Alright but unrewarding.

Current Employee - Audit in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Audit in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

Partnership card means discount in Waitrose and John Lewis plus some restaurants and other shops. Good holiday. Uniform. The bonus which helps soften the blow of receiving a poor wage. I work with a great team! ��

Cons

Lack of personal development and career opportunities -even as a very experienced professional and graduate. Poor wage -under £7. Appraisal system oppresses any good pay rise or personal development. Employs large number of young (minors) students looking for pocket money leaving most times of the day short staffed. Dedicated older staff are left picking up the pieces and working longer hours to cover busy times of the day. High turnover of management. Poor leadership. Poor, inconsistent training. Inconsistent disciplinary procedures. My Waitrose card allows customers a free coffee everyday but only allows partners a free coffee on the days they dont work!!!

Employ older staff willing to work busy daytime hours. Training!!! Appreciate good staff. Turf out the rubbish, work shy idiots. Award fair pay rises according to performance. Get involved - talk to staff, ask what's happening. Support staff against rude, ignorant customers. Consistency across the board with holidays, overtime etc. Allow managers to manager. They are either locked away in the office or killing themselves putting stock out.

9. I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

Tax Free Bonus
    Pension
    Great working environment; friendly, open, easy going.
    Ambitious
    Allows you to work at your own pace.
    Able to be cross trained in every section

Cons

Hard to move through the company or improve your pay grade without continuously asking. Biased towards certain partners they expect a lot from one partner instead of sharing responsibilities.

10. positive, friendly atmosphere,

Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant in Romsey, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant in Romsey, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company benefits, flexible hours, reasonable hourly rate, colleagues are good fun, annual bonus, opportunity to change where you're working or the area of work in the supermarket.

Cons

Some very anal procedures on hygiene, understandable however. Managers were either really good or you rarely saw or heard from them. Feedback from management was sparse, but on the whole not much to complain about.

Yes and no

I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

It would certainly seem that we are treated better than employees of other supermarkets.
    Management seems strongly encouraged to earn the respect of their team as opposed to ruling with an iron fist.
    Some of your friends and family will think you work somewhere really posh and privileged.

Cons

The benefits of the partnership seem to largely exist as a method of enticing customers who feel they're supporting an ethical store as opposed to adhering to their much touted 'Principle 1'.

It is frustrating reading the head of John Lewis demand that more companies need to pay a living wage whilst a conversation repeats eternally in the Letters section of the company newsletter in which frustrated workers ask why this statement does not apply to Waitrose staff.
    Replies vary from a statement dismissing the living wage as the kind of policy which is right to Waitrose, flat out denial that any questions were actually asked (followed by a restatement of why they are right and anyone else is wrong) and even instructions that unhappy 'partners' "should go and work at Tesco or Aldi."

The 'Bonus' rings hollow when it only brings you up to what those in other supermarkets already earn, and feels more like a way to trap you into working there until it is awarded.

Once you have had a few visits from upper management and/or have an up and coming manager transferred to your store you will soon start to notice that they all seem to share a very specific accent.

The much touted democratic approach to how the business is ran also rings somewhat hollow when you discover the board of directors control half the seats and so have the power to veto any proposal, limiting any real possibility for real change and benefits to those on the bottom of the food chain.

There is also a whole host of cost-cutting schemes at work which are of dubious benefit to the workers (I mean partners), such as cutting 4 hour shifts to 3hr 45, meaning they can pay less and not give them a break. Or only offering very exact and irregular working hours, in order to have them work a full day without having to allow them a lunch break.

Since I have started working there it seems that the terms at which partners are hired have increasingly been tipped in the companies favour.

Not to mention that whilst our higher-ups will boast in national newspapers and internal comms that we are showing market-beating profits, we see very little in the way of recompense and are constantly reminded that we are missing targets and of the need to boost sales, cut costs and increase productivity. All without hiring extra staff.

In short, despite my criticisms I would recommend this as a place to work, but be aware that it is a truly corporate entity, masquerading as a workers co-op.

Listen to partner's views.
    Match up the image you present to the public with reality.