Wake County Public Schools Reviews

1. Too big, too much drama

Former Employee - Assistant Principal in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Principal in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of great colleagues, resources and kids

Cons

Politics trickle down from central office to schools. "Connected" principals are untouchable, even when they do illegal things. Promotions are very politically motivated as well

2. Every year it gets worse

Current Employee - Teacher in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Cary, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools

Pros

Job security- it really takes a lot to lose a teaching job.

Cons

no consistency in any grade level that you teach; Nothing is ever the same. The schools are data driven that is the most stressful environment. Just when you think you're hitting goal with a student or classroom a new goal comes in to place and you never feel like your ever reaching a goal. Growth doesn't matter anymore; what only matters is reaching benchmarks. Pay is poor. Thankless job.

Stop letting the stress trickle down; the students feel it even in kindergarten. Pay your teachers what they deserve and thank them for basically carrying two full time careers.

3. Teacher Assistants Required to Wear Many Hats

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok, but nothing to brag about. The work schedule is nice, if you work in a school with a traditional calendar.

Cons

Most schools are very under-staffed, so expect to not only assist in your home classroom but also help "where needed." This may well include working in the cafeteria, serving food, running to the kitchen when food items run out in search for more, monitoring student behavior, and cleaning the tables and sweeping the floors. As a teacher "assistant" I was trained to work in the classroom - not the cafeteria.

Be up front about what all is expected from an employee in any given position.

5. Good place to work for the most part

Current Employee - Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good community environment and caring people and administrators

Cons

Paperwork is redundant and overwhelming at times

Reduce redundant paperwork

6. More money than other districts, less sense of community

Former Employee - WCPSS Teacher in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - WCPSS Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

WCPSS has excellent resources for teachers. They provide all kinds of professional development, curriculum guides, and opportunities for teachers to learn and grow. They provide a supplement to the state salary for teachers, and the supplement is substantially higher than other districts in the state. I worked in an urban school and a suburban school. Both had adequate resources in the way of technology (i.e. laptops for teachers, document cameras, lcd projectors).

Cons

Teachers not seen as people. Policies and organizational norms are such that teachers are not valued as individuals. There is no work/life/family balance. Even though the supplement to the state salary is better than other districts, due to the state freezing teacher pay for a long period of time, and new rules about tenure and teacher pay, the pay is not equal to the work. You will do more work than you are paid for. If you don't mind that (and if you are a teacher you are definitely used to it!), then Wake is a great place to work.

7. Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Teacher in Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The other teachers are great.

Cons

Mistreated constantly, overworked, underpaid, not allowed to teach, it's all about the test, students are merely data points and teachers who teach to the test drive students to hate school. Over and over the county took advantage of teachers and allowed principals to take advantage of loop holes in contracts such as the working day is over only "until your duties end". WCPSS killed the joy of teaching for me and I finally left after 10 years and giving my soul to them. Now in the private sector my family finally gets some of my time and I make more money. I miss teaching, but they scripted it all and made everyone the same anyway so it was not longer enjoyable.

Teachers work for the love of the job, not for the pay, but they are still professionals - treat them as such!

8. Good place to work

Current Employee - Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here may not be my favorite county to have worked in, but it's not bad either. I think the biggest downfall is that it is such a large district, and it is easy for the upper level management to forget about the "rougher" schools and year round schools. There were many times we had already been in school for a month and then we would get told there were new policies in place that were retroactive. That is poor planning for year round schools, and sometimes it reflected poorly on the school when it was the district. Compensation is good- they currently offer a 12% stipend above the state pay, which is nice. Each school may offer other chances to coach and other various additional jobs for pay. I think your enjoyment in the district is largely relative to the school you work at.

Cons

Being a large company, makes it easy for them to make changes without realizing how it actually affects teachers which can be bad. They have been known to increase the number of work days required with no compensation for demanding more hours of work.

9. Good working environment if you are in the right school

Current Employee - Teacher, High School in Holly Springs, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher, High School in Holly Springs, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the school you are in will greatly influence the experience you have. If the admin team is accountable and supports your efforts you will have a successful career.

Cons

On a state level the teaching profession is not respected. Every year new ways to evaluate teachers are introduced and never stick.

Support the teachers.

10. Completely ridiculous and thankless and for no money. Worked like a dog and not taught ANYTHING just expected to know.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant Kindergarten in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant Kindergarten in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The children and the moments with them that you realize you have made a difference in their life or even just in their day.

Cons

Tooooooo many to list. Zero training zero positive comments or encouragement zero chance for advancement made to stand in 90 degree weather and then only spoken to by administration when you do something WRONG because no one ever taught you how to do it.

PROCEDURES MANUAL for newly hired staff - ESPECIALLY teacher assistants. What a joke the way they are treated!

11. Incredible things are accomplished despite the incredible amount of road blocks to creativity.

Former Employee - Technology Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Technology Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To work and know that you have influenced so many minds (maybe not as many a Ghandi) and that they come back to thank you is so gratifying beyond words.

Cons

If you lack the ability to weather political storms and occasional concept differences then this is not the place for you.

How bout putting the money where the research is in providing all primary level schools with the equipment budgets they need, and not just the "new," magnet and stem schools.

Old traditionals are taken a beating!