Wake County Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wake County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Jim Merrill

Dr. Jim Merrill

Pros
  • Lots of great kids in the schools (in 3 reviews)

• A great place to start a career as a teacher because of opportunity (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • hour work weeks, Massive Bureaucracy, huge classes, extremely low salary (in 3 reviews)

• The school board has no concern for their teachers or students (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Resignations

School Bus Driver (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThey offer you chances. This employer has many positions other than the one that I was in that would suit anyone without a criminal background.

ConsWhen it comes time for judgement they want to criticize you and bring up things that happened from day one instead of focusing on the right then. They dit you in an office and play good cop bad cop with you to get an reaction out of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't criticize the work that others put in because they are in a bad situation. Do your job right the first time so people will not have to go through the headache of coming up there and not getting an answer right then and there when they are suppose to.

Excellent

Teacher, High School (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsWCPSS cares about their faculty and students.

ConsSalary could be a lot higher

I have had a great experience working with High School students with disabilities.

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsPersonal growth within the Special Needs department.

ConsCareer status does not offer job security.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Sustainable Pace of Work

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsStudents are very motivated in the triangle, time off (which you are not paid for), disciplined policy is well-enforced, good for first year teachers but that's about it.

ConsBeing unemployed because you are UNPAID during the summer, 60+ hour work weeks, Massive Bureaucracy, huge classes, extremely low salary. I work for a large high school in Wake County and have talked to my principal ONE time. I have 200 students. This level and pace of work is not sustainable for someone with a family or a husband.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour teachers are going to be the quality you pay them

Mired in politics

Teacher, High School (Current Employee) Wake Forest, NC

ProsTeachers and administrators are well educated and hard working.

ConsLow salary. Education is not valued by local government and legislation reflects this frequently preventing teachers from providing the quality of education they are capable of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more focus on maintaining teachers by paying them a living wage.

Unorganized leadership, "hops" from initiative to initiative creating inconsistency county-wide

Regular Ed Teacher/Special Ed Teacher (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsLarge county with lots of school settings to choose from; high supplement pay; access to lots of technology and resources

ConsToo large of a county to create efficiency in processes; ineffective accountability of school-based leadership; school climate is really hit or miss; there is an all-consuming fear county wide of making parents angry which seriously affects the power teachers have to share honest observations and solutions with parents for student success in the 21st century

Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsLarge county with options to relocate within the county. Teacher can submit for a transfer to work in another position.

ConsNo available ways to supplement income or earn incentive. Salary is controlled by state legislature

Underpaid and overworked

Teacher (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsYou get to interact with some great kids who will one day change the world.

Cons60+ hour work weeks are normal along with an overwhelming number of responsibilities outside of the classroom. There is no opportunity for advancement other than administrative careers.

Office staff are not considered professionals and not paid for experience. They want clerks, and get what they pay for.

School Bookkeeper (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGood hours and schedule when you have your own little kids in school.

ConsNot paid for knowledge & experience, no respect from staff (teachers, admin), students or parents. Office staff are expected to clean, make coffee, do personal errands for principals. Have to come to work on snow days or charge vacation (teachers don't).

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your Office Professionals (Bookkeeper, Data Manager, Lead Secretary) as Professionals. Pay them for their years of experience and they will save you more than they cost in your School Budget. Take their advice; they have Business experience and you don't. Do not make them do Custodial or Housekeeping duties. Instruct your teachers to show them respect and treat them how they want to be treated.

Worked with some great, talented people

Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsHuge district, resources are available that may not be at other districts, great staff that is dedicated to children

ConsSoftware, methods of doing thing often change from year to year with many "bugs" and no training; most teachers work 70-75 hours per week; some parents and students can be difficult behaviorally.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure administration in the schools are the right fit for the staff, compensate staff fairly so they are able to receive a living wage (difficult in North Carolina).

Worked for Wake County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!