Wake County Public Schools Reviews

79 reviews filtered by
2.8
Wake County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Jim Merrill
Dr. Jim Merrill

Pros
  • They provide all kinds of professional development, curriculum guides, and opportunities for teachers to learn and grow (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of great kids in the schools (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable job expectations, low salary with no opportunity for raises, decreased benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The school board only cares about furthering their own political careers and agendas (in 3 reviews)

1. Loved working here, especially when I could focus on student learning.

I worked at Wake County Public Schools

Pros

There are a variety of schools that you can work for all over the county. Time off during summers or track outs are awesome.

Cons

Work never stops! Lesson planning, grading papers and trying to learn new strategies to help your students often required working after hours.

Often times management really does not know what happens in the daily life of a teacher in the trenches. Politics play too much of a role in education.

2. Too big, too much drama

Former Employee - Assistant Principal in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Principal in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of great colleagues, resources and kids

Cons

Politics trickle down from central office to schools. "Connected" principals are untouchable, even when they do illegal things. Promotions are very politically motivated as well

3. Every year it gets worse

Current Employee - Teacher in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Cary, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools

Pros

Job security- it really takes a lot to lose a teaching job.

Cons

no consistency in any grade level that you teach; Nothing is ever the same. The schools are data driven that is the most stressful environment. Just when you think you're hitting goal with a student or classroom a new goal comes in to place and you never feel like your ever reaching a goal. Growth doesn't matter anymore; what only matters is reaching benchmarks. Pay is poor. Thankless job.

Stop letting the stress trickle down; the students feel it even in kindergarten. Pay your teachers what they deserve and thank them for basically carrying two full time careers.

5. Wake County Schools

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools

Pros

Great funding, strong central office leadership
    Opportunities for professional growth
    By and large, motivated and committed parents and community
    High teacher supplement

Cons

work-life balance
    school level management uncertainty
    compensation
    time-off policies
    limited merit-based pay opportunities
    "And other duties as assigned" provision of contract

Remove the "and other duties as assigned" provision of the contract. Be more prescriptive about what exactly you'd prefer teachers be spending their time on, as the provision allows for them to be taken advantage of.

6. Teacher Assistants Required to Wear Many Hats

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok, but nothing to brag about. The work schedule is nice, if you work in a school with a traditional calendar.

Cons

Most schools are very under-staffed, so expect to not only assist in your home classroom but also help "where needed." This may well include working in the cafeteria, serving food, running to the kitchen when food items run out in search for more, monitoring student behavior, and cleaning the tables and sweeping the floors. As a teacher "assistant" I was trained to work in the classroom - not the cafeteria.

Be up front about what all is expected from an employee in any given position.

7. Politics in Education

I worked at Wake County Public Schools

Pros

many schools to choose from

Cons

not concerned with student achievement, segregated

take the corruption out of administration and central office and redistribute funding directly to the classrooms so that the students will benefit rather than padding the pockets of education "leaders" to further feed their political agendas

8. Good place to work for the most part

Current Employee - Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good community environment and caring people and administrators

Cons

Paperwork is redundant and overwhelming at times

Reduce redundant paperwork

9. More money than other districts, less sense of community

Former Employee - WCPSS Teacher in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - WCPSS Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

WCPSS has excellent resources for teachers. They provide all kinds of professional development, curriculum guides, and opportunities for teachers to learn and grow. They provide a supplement to the state salary for teachers, and the supplement is substantially higher than other districts in the state. I worked in an urban school and a suburban school. Both had adequate resources in the way of technology (i.e. laptops for teachers, document cameras, lcd projectors).

Cons

Teachers not seen as people. Policies and organizational norms are such that teachers are not valued as individuals. There is no work/life/family balance. Even though the supplement to the state salary is better than other districts, due to the state freezing teacher pay for a long period of time, and new rules about tenure and teacher pay, the pay is not equal to the work. You will do more work than you are paid for. If you don't mind that (and if you are a teacher you are definitely used to it!), then Wake is a great place to work.

10. Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Teacher in Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The other teachers are great.

Cons

Mistreated constantly, overworked, underpaid, not allowed to teach, it's all about the test, students are merely data points and teachers who teach to the test drive students to hate school. Over and over the county took advantage of teachers and allowed principals to take advantage of loop holes in contracts such as the working day is over only "until your duties end". WCPSS killed the joy of teaching for me and I finally left after 10 years and giving my soul to them. Now in the private sector my family finally gets some of my time and I make more money. I miss teaching, but they scripted it all and made everyone the same anyway so it was not longer enjoyable.

Teachers work for the love of the job, not for the pay, but they are still professionals - treat them as such!

11. Good place to work

Current Employee - Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here may not be my favorite county to have worked in, but it's not bad either. I think the biggest downfall is that it is such a large district, and it is easy for the upper level management to forget about the "rougher" schools and year round schools. There were many times we had already been in school for a month and then we would get told there were new policies in place that were retroactive. That is poor planning for year round schools, and sometimes it reflected poorly on the school when it was the district. Compensation is good- they currently offer a 12% stipend above the state pay, which is nice. Each school may offer other chances to coach and other various additional jobs for pay. I think your enjoyment in the district is largely relative to the school you work at.

Cons

Being a large company, makes it easy for them to make changes without realizing how it actually affects teachers which can be bad. They have been known to increase the number of work days required with no compensation for demanding more hours of work.