WakeMed Health and Hospitals Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
64 reviews filtered by
CEO

Pros
  • Great people, good communication between departments (in 4 reviews)

• Close to home, co-workers are nice, free parking, cafeteria onsite, plentiful jobs since there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is somewhat out of touch with the average staff (in 4 reviews)

• Expansion at cost of patient care and employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Supervisor

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff, good benefits, good experience

Cons

not enough opportunity to move up

listen with more of an open mind to staff

2. A learning experience

Current Employee - Phlebotomist/Clinical Services Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist/Clinical Services Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals

Pros

The benefits are the best part of Wakemed

Cons

About 50% of the people who work here are "fake nice".

Don't just listen to your employees but act for your employees.

Don't do it!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If parking is one of the things people list as a "pro" in most reviews something isn't right.

Cons

To many to list but here's a start....if you aren't in the "Click" watch out! Hostile work environment, they try to ruin your day/work life if you aren't "in" with the right managers, write ups are used as weapons and petty in cases more often than not, limit your advancement/potential and then tell you that you aren't doing enough, in many instances I've heard of and my personal experience the job you interview for is NOTHING like what they ask you to do, put some under microscopes while others can do no wrong. I could go on but a 3.1 rating says a lot in my eyes. Have worked for much larger and much smaller companies but have never seen such blatant displays of terrible management and "playing favorites" in 20+ years of work. When it's all said and done it's a paycheck. That's all. Are you willing to feel like a soulless shell of a human for that? Be treated like a child? Condemned for asking a question or not being a kiss up? Because that's what they want. I have worked in over 50 hospitals in my previous employment with a large healthcare vendor all over the country and Wakemed certainly tops the list for being one of the most easy to see flaws and practices. DONT DO IT! You can do better than this environment. Even if you are terrible at your job you can live like royalty as long as you kiss the right a**. That's not fair to the people who try, who care and who work their tails off just to be written up because the dept head doesn't ask you to sit at their table in the overpriced cafeteria. DONT DO IT!!!

Get REAL managers. Who you have now in some depts are a joke.

5. Like one big family

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals (more than 10 years)

Pros

A place where employees stay for years and co-workers become friends. Strong culture of shared decision making means staff nurses really have input into decisions.

Cons

Corporate decision making isn't as transparent as most of us would like. The culture is changing with new leadership. Pay seems to be constricted. Staffing ratios need improvement

Increase transparency, make the pay scale more competitive, Improve staffing ratios on the floors to facilitate better patient care

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Great vacation time, good work/life balance, co-workers are friendly.

Cons

Lots of politics, staffing is being reduced, middle management take a beating from both sides.

Be more visibable and communicate more

7. Great place to work

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

huge company with a small company feel. ability to move the needle and feel like you are contributing to important mission.

Cons

the larger the organization grows, the harder things become.

more raises

8. Intern Perspective

Former Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Former Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at WakeMed Health and Hospitals as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my time at WakeMed. Everyone was very nice and dedicated

Cons

none at this time for this box

Could not stay.

Former Employee - Scheduler in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Scheduler in Raleigh, NC

I worked at WakeMed Health and Hospitals part-time

Pros

Management was helpful, but apparently powerless to change the department setup. Money was good.

Cons

The complexity and volume of the work was too much. It could have been divided and more people would have stayed. They could have doubled my pay and I would not have stayed.

Good intentions, poorly managed

Former Employee - Former Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

WakeMed has expanded to meet the needs of most of Wake County, making healthcare accessible to nearly everyone, regardless of socioeconomic status, in the community. Their cardiac program is among the best in the area and the majority of the healthcare staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

The department I worked in was in transition during the time of my employment and was ultimately very poorly managed. During my 5 years in this department, we went from having no immediate manager to having two within that short period. Due to the poorly staffed positions, breaks did not exist and even stepping away just to use the bathroom left the employee feeling guilt-ridden.

Stop micromanaging your employees on the scale that you do! If you hire someone to do a job, trust that they will get the job done without your constant need to overlook them. Do a better job of hiring reliable employees so that staffing levels will be optimal. Employees need breaks and time off without stressing out about it. Allow employees the opportunity to move around in the company without stating to HR that they are vital to your own department, thus hindering them from ever advancing within the organization.

Good place to work

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time

Pros

Great co worker relationships. Good employee appreciation events. Lots of Charitable work. PDO offered is high as well as high shift differential

Cons

Former CEO caused budget issues that are affecting employees such as layoffs, pay cuts, loss of bonus, and a freeze on wage increases

WakeMed Health and Hospitals Photos