WalMart Canada Reviews

• Canada
2.7
WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

1. Good company in a fast paced environment (Cashier WM SuperCenter)

Current Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

- 10% discount on everything in all Walmart around the world and online (except liquidation) & 20% coupons near Christmas
    - Flexible schedule depending on your availability. For your example, if you have an last minute appointment or an exam at school or any other imprevisible event. You will be able to get off by asking to your CSM (customer service manager) or give your hours to a colleague.
    - Friendly atmosphere
    - Fast environment, if you are able to work in this condition
    - Good pay for retail as cashier when you have experience
    - Free food in break room sometimes
    - Christmas event & your bithday is celabrate (birthday wish when you punch with your badge & balloon around your cash register)
    - Possibility to have upper positon as departement manager, assistant manager
    - Possibility to buy stock exchange as an associate
    - Interactive training on computer when you are hired and you have to do update times to times
    - Good hours as a part time, but after Christmas, of course hours goes down. It is part of retail.
    - You have access to get a Bonus every year depending on the profitability of your store. More your store are efficient in sales, more every associate of you store will get an higher Bonus.
    - You get a week vacation duing your first year and after more vacation depending on your seniority
    - You have the possibilities to do multi task if you ask. For example, a cashier can do facing in a department when the store is not as much bussy. Also, arround Christmas, you can get hours to unload a truck during night shift if you are available and interested.
    - Most of the time, if the associate shows interest in his work and Walmart in general, the managers will be grateful and help you to grow up.

Cons

- Unfortunatly, there is sometimes favoritism. This is retail. You have to deal with.
    - Rude & weird customer. Be able to deal with them. Company phylosophy is to 100% sastisfy customer.
    - Be able to work weekends and evenings. Again, of course, it is retail. Sales are during this moment, so you have to be available during this period. If you are full time associate, you will work 1 weekend on 2, for example.
    - Old cash register and credit/debit machine.

- Try to improve your installation (cash register and credit machine). Some of them are there since the grand openning of some Walmart, maybe 20 years. It creates frustration from customer and it is hard to deal with old technololy.
    - Take into consideration how to store management that work very wel in some store and use those as an example for struggling stores with problems. For example, with a high turnover rate.

2. I enjoy my job. It is what u make it out to be.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Campbell River, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Campbell River, BC (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Steady schedule friendship raises seeing the happy look on people

Cons

Rude customers are hard to deal with

Not everything can be done ione shift when dealing with customers

3. customer service specialist

Former Employee - IT Was Good Learning Stage for Me in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - IT Was Good Learning Stage for Me in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

dignity among colleges. friendly atmosphere

Cons

workload distribution is not that appropriate.no benefit to part time. And no less full time opportunity

there should be full time opportunity rather than part time

5. Life

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

Great discounts and great co-workers

Cons

Moody management, not enough employees

6. Not the Best place to Work

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They provide you a lot of in-house computer based training

Cons

Bad pay, no career progression and supervisors' bias

Should show more care for the people who work in the shop.

The typical Walmart employee stereotypes applies. We are all under paid.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers that work in my department is very nice but that is not necessary linked to the walmart culture. Another minor plus it the 10% discount card that you can use online and almost everything in store (except clearance) but it is a joke because it can only stretch so much of your minimal wage pay check. A stock purchasing plan is available but walmart only gives 15% of what you contribute up to a maximum of a $300.

Cons

The management is very inconstant especially some manger can't even run their own department let alone a whole store. Some are nice but that is only because they like you. Work-life balance is a joke, there is no constancy as a part-timer (or sometimes a full-timer). You might be schedule at closing and expect to show up tomorrow at opening. You can be schedule work any day. You can request what days you want off and what time your are available, but if your schedule is too restrictive they would have a "talk" with you. Sometimes, they would call you and ask you to work. Management always tries to sell how good the Walmart company treats us telling us the career opportunities and how the "sky is the limit" but in reality you have to suck up to management in order to be even consider a promotion. You have an yearly evaluation that basically determines how much of a raise you going to get. I heard no one get anything higher then a 3 (translate to a 30 cent raise) and even when you get a 3.9, the walmart still rounds down and consider it a 3 and therefore a 30 cent raise. If your province's minimal wage increase, they would just get your wage up to the walmart's minimal wage, (minimal wage + 15 cents) and ignore all your previous evaluations. When i was hired, I was actually getting paid more then another walmart associate that was working there for 4 years. People who work there for 10 years told me it was not like this when it started and the company actually cared about the workers. It is starting to be like walmart in USA.

Try not tos ell and reiterate the minimal perks that we get and consider how you can help to raise moral. Everyone that works there are very unhappy with management because we don't feel appreciated to the work we do. Do better then a fake, hallow thank you.

Customer Specialist

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

Good to start as a career

Cons

Difficult to transfer from one role to another

No dental benefits for Part time employees.

9. Overnight Stocker

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

Good company to work with.

Cons

not much benefits as I was a part time employee

This is a slave camp where it will take determination to liberate yourself

Former Employee - Warehouse/Receiving Associate in New Westminster, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Receiving Associate in New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

10% discount on all purchases

Cons

Excessive labour; unfriendly and frustrated managers, who themselves earn miserable pay but with phony title of "manager"; disproportionately low wages

Until pay is radically improved, salaries, rather than hourly pittance, is paid, and proper benefits are paid, employee turnover will continue to be high.

11. Great starter job - not a carreer

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a lot about retail - how the industry works and you may have the chance to become a department manager but that's pretty much it.

Cons

This can really be a long list but i'll keep it short - very low pay, you are easily replaceable for someone who will take even less pay, the opportunities for advancement are pretty low.

It would be nice to see more recognition over a job well done.

WalMart Canada Photos