WalMart Canada

Updated December 22, 2014
2.7

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

Pros
  • 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance) (in 25 reviews)

• most people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The higher you get the less work life balance exists (in 15 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad Place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

You could potentially get profit sharing
    Lets you know that you can do better
    Flexible hours

Cons

Mentally abuse you
    Terrible pay
    Few career opportunities
    Heavy workload
    Poor planning and execution of store activities

Straighten your house up
    Carry your weight
    Stop abusing your employees

You pay for the exposure

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

Being exposed to the ins an outs of a Fortune 1 company is remarkable.

Cons

The experience you gain from this Fortune 1 company is tempered with frequent re-orgs, zero mobility and extreme frugality.

The Bottom line

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Vernon, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Vernon, BC (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent employees, moderately decent pay, Good Benefits if you can get full-time. Staff discount, Decent learning potential if you have the right trainer.

Cons

Zero growth unless you meet managements level expectations which can be very high. Depends on store manager. Favouritism is major problem among management. Too much pressure put on the senior employees while the younger ones tend to goof off. Once on Overnights, difficult to get off. Difficult to get Full-Time during day shifts. No wage increases for employees when there is a government legislative minimum wage increase, unless they are below the new wage. Cut staff so remaining must work harder to increase year end profit cheque for management.

Treat your senior employees better. Give better wage increases. Express gratitude. Stop accusing employees of things without confirmation first.

Most disorganized company ever!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The paycheck and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Poor management, unmotivated employees, blind leading the blind.

Lose all the silly rules and focus on merchandise.

stressful

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the associates are the driving force to help keep WM alive, management at all levels have destroyed what Sam built with greed and lies

Cons

to many integrity violations from management both at store level & HO.

be truthful/honest with your self and employees. change will never happen as there are to many hidden networks

Very high expectations for low wages

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great people work there and they are very friendly. Many assistant managers really care about their associates and work along side them.

Cons

Expectations are unrealistic
    Discrimination against women
    No work life balance

Sometimes the problem store is the result of a problem store manager. It's important to dig deeper to discover the real problem because the store management will go a long way to cover things up before canstar and hr audits. Look at things like the difference in pay between recent female hires and recent male hires.

Keep away from Walmart Canada on 130 Ave Calgary - extremely high level of racism

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I wish I could find one!

Cons

Very racist management, Does not even care for employees to get breaks at proper time. High level of mismanagement. Pays least of all stores in the area. CS Managers are outright rude and inconsiderate. No potential for growth, only donkey work. Run as fast as you can away from this place.

Train your managers to take care of their team, specially on 130 Ave Calgary location. Managers also are in dire need of training to be anti-racist and promote multicultural diversity.

Poor management equals unhappy customers

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Good hours but not enough flexibility. Friendly work environment.

Cons

I've worked at two walmarts in the past year. The first I quit due to school and the second I took the job because I need money for school. Let me tell you that based on my experiences, they're all the same. Disorganized stores, poor management, and little things that all make a day on the job at walmart bad. Cashiers are expected to do all the work and right everyone else's mistakes. CSMs are mostly bitter and rude. Customers become unhappy easily.

Stop expecting so much from your employees. Cashiers can't sell mastercards when there's a mile long line up.

We are not machines

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Penticton, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Penticton, BC (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Company values are great too bad they're not observed. Associates are treated like slaves. There is no consideration for the needs of the individual there's no respect for the individual. There are availability sheets that you can fill out and submit but they don't treat it like availability if they disagree with it. I'm part time on the disability and when I told him that I'm physically unable to work certain shifts they want me to get a letter from my doctor. I got letters from my doctor that's how I got on disability.

If you're going to follow Walmart policies you can't make them up as you go along

Management job seekers: if you want to excel, keep looking: these are not the droids you're looking for

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Regina, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Regina, SK (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

family atmosphere with associates, can have a lot of fun getting things done with a good team. Bonus package for salaried management makes up for below average benefits coverage. Good company for entry level management company - start here and then move on.

Cons

rapid growth of grocery is overwhelming the stores - only grocery will get worked and everything else sits in the back awaiting the lowly assistant manger to bang out 10 or 20 skids a day. Get it done and your reward will be 25 or 30 skids the next day. No real reward for excelling at the job - the only happy mangers left are the ones who do just enough to slide by. Pay and benefits have slipped below retail average - almost anywhere offers a better package. Walmart Canada has hunkered down and has gone all in on grocery so no matter what role you hold be prepared to get a crappy evaluation because the meat department is throwing out too much expired, or the bakery can't get it's temp checks done - you know, all the things a garden center manager should be watching out for.

make the management evaluations more tailored to the actual role held. Reintroduce the upward evaluation for every manager. Your management teams are disengaged and until you fix that, no window dressing will fix it. Start holding actual listening sessions with your field managers and don't allow store or district mangers to screen the topics. You have a broken a once great company and what you are doing now is making it worse. Field management doesn't feel you are on the same team anymore. Stop managing only by KPI scorecards, the stores are learning to fake the data just to stay off your radar. Make more surprise visits, and spend time with the Assistant Managers and Department Managers. You track and manage by scorecards so I suggest you add one that tracks the amount of time the store manager spends logged into a computer: my guess is that you will find that the ones that spend 80% or 90% of their time at a computer screen are failing the other KPI's. Make the customer evaluations of a store more detailed and important - they are your earliest and best indicator and you are ignoring them. Senior Management: lots of other discounters and mass merchants are outdoing Walmart in Canada, so you should probably dust off your LinkedIn profiles - District and Regional Offices are long overdue some bloodletting. Don't think that you are safe, you should start planning your escape now. The new Walmart in Canada is lean and mean.

WalMart Canada Photos