WalMart Canada

www.walmart.ca
Profile Unclaimed

Good place for a first job

Current Employee - Customer Services Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Services Specialist

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

Training is sporadic and job related training is not always readily available, sales floor associates are stretched thin, at times very stressful.

Keep away from Walmart Canada on 130 Ave Calgary - extremely high level of racism

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could find one!

Cons

Very racist management, Does not even care for employees to get breaks at proper time. High level of mismanagement. Pays least of all stores in the area. CS Managers are outright rude and inconsiderate. No potential for growth, only donkey work. Run as fast as you can away from this place.

Train your managers to take care of their team, specially on 130 Ave Calgary location. Managers also are in dire need of training to be anti-racist and promote multicultural diversity.

Went Downhill

Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked here for over 5 years now. Our Previous Photolab Manager was amazing but they executed her position. I love the profit sharing they give us and we can work out our availability hours. The people i worked with became my family. We treat each other equally and well respected.

Cons

Customers are always complaining, people think that we have to know every item in the store. Kodak Kiosks Machine always breaking, need to update the machines. Not enough staff in the Photo-lab, many times we don't get our lunch or break after working 8-9 shift, They have this safety & health policies and such but they don't even obey them. Schedules are always messed up. Not a single manager knows how to run a lab and They fired the only Photo-lab Manager that knows how to run a lab. New managers treat us like we don't even exist. They expect us to do everything. This new management team at this location is very bad.

Updated the Kiosk Machines, Train all managers how to open and close a photo-lab and get people to cover lunch and breaks.

Poor management equals unhappy customers

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Good hours but not enough flexibility. Friendly work environment.

Cons

I've worked at two walmarts in the past year. The first I quit due to school and the second I took the job because I need money for school. Let me tell you that based on my experiences, they're all the same. Disorganized stores, poor management, and little things that all make a day on the job at walmart bad. Cashiers are expected to do all the work and right everyone else's mistakes. CSMs are mostly bitter and rude. Customers become unhappy easily.

Stop expecting so much from your employees. Cashiers can't sell mastercards when there's a mile long line up.

Chaotic, vengeful company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

10 percent discount & do so and stock purchase contribution.

Cons

Every where. Just literate store management. Over 90 percent store manager and assistant managers are high school pass or less. Even subject matter specialists eg. Human resources manager have no related credentials or post secondary education. Extreme favoritism, unfair, subjective hiring and promoting practices. Full of bias and unmotivating work environment.

Hire qualified managers and adopt objective hiring and promoting process. Save the company from mediocre performance.

Great company, that is perhaps moving too fast and is losing it's company culture base

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good rewards for leaders and willingness to work hard. Good promotion propects if willing to go extra mile

Cons

Promotion propects are dependent on leadership within store.The higher you get the less work life balance exists.Very irregular hours with demanding work loads.

Don't be blinded by limited opions, ask other peers and associate prior to promoting associates. Get a true picture of what is happening. Hold more out of store focus meeting to hear unbais opions.

A great freelance learning experience was very rewarding at the end. It provided me with a lot of portfilio pieces

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros were working at home, at your own time, own computer and flexable timeline. Very little pressure since it's something that your enjoy doing.

Cons

There's really no cons in freelancing and working at home. If I were to say, I'll probably say no face to face contact. Working with each buyer was all emailed based, receiving and delivering final files.

nice culture

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

strong culture, fortune 1 company

Cons

too big, slow decision making

Needs Process Improvement

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A good learning experience, helps you to be pro active

Cons

nothing much if are willing to work hard

there are many things that can be improved which may help you reduce shrinks

Walmart is not great but works

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time

Pros

A lot of positions are available

Cons

The negotiation with Walmart is not the negotiation as more

WalMart Canada Photos