Walbridge

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
3.5

John Rakolta Jr.

Overall a great company to work for as long as you continue to tell them how great you are

I have been working at Walbridge full-time

Pros

The company is diversified amongst market segments and was able to offer stability during difficult economic times. Walbridge has a vision for the future which should provide continued long term growth, however currently looks to be in internation market segments.

Lots of great people, in my experience family oriented. New push for bringing technology to the construction industry. Good coorporate culture, that tends to be a bit brainwashing. I cant think of a lot of real bad things to say.

The company has many processes which overall are helpful.

Walbridge would definately be one of the better GC's to work for.

Cons

Walbridge is GC company that is forced to look at the bottom line. employee that move up tend to be the ones that push for it or conform to the office politics model. Employees that focus on the their work and doing a good job can get looked over.

Bonuses are nothing to brag about and often start with the speech "the bonus pool is much smaller this year. We would have liked to give you more, but that would mean that other would not get anything"

Some processes can become a burden to project teams. Process are more geared towards selling the company.

Mixed bag

I have been working at Walbridge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a Walbridge way to do things. Their processes make a larger percentage of teams and individuals high performers than what I've seen at other large GCs.

It is a great place to learn how to perform at a high level.

Cons

It is very difficult for younger and mid-level professionals to move up on to more meaningful things when they are ready to do so. Because of this (and the pay/bonus/benefits are nothing special), most young top talent will continue to take what they learned elsewhere.

Create an environment where individuals can grow as fast as they are capable. Because someone is older doesn't mean they are better.

good experience overall.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Walbridge full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

stable work with many great people. good focus on education. Good benefits.

Cons

Many hours of work and pretty much not exist bonus to make up for it. Management is a little bit over jingoistic. All that extra work makes for some pretty solid executive bonuses if your at that level, but doesn't filter down very well to the people making it happen. Project controls are little bit over done. Pretty burdensome on the project teams but is a good marketing tool I guess. it is very easy to be overlooked for advancement if you're not a squeaky wheel.

Give real performance bonuses to the people who earn them. Pay attention to annual employee reviews. Don't put the people through the process if you're just going to put it in a file and forget about it.

Job security but low compensation

I have been working at Walbridge full-time

Pros

Management has done a good job of managing through financial downturns to give employees a feeling of job security. Company also does a very good job of promoting continuing education for their employees.

Cons

For being a family owned company, the company is not very family friendly in regards to compensation and benefits. Low pay ranges and non existent bonuses. Benefits are decent but you are penalized on health care costs if you do not meet certain health standards.

Great Place to work!

Former Employee - Plant Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Plant Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Walbridge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay benefits and training opportunities, great Safety culture. Treated more than fairly by management through out my time with the company.

Cons

The only negative I can think of was, that at an internal job interview the HR representative was paying more attention to her laptop than to my responses.

Keep up the feeling that everyone counts!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Walbridge full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding training program, promotes form within up to a certain level.

Cons

Not always fair in dealing with people, some things are based on senior management whims.

Look at how things were when Sr was still there.

Overall one of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Walbridge

Pros

Good family work atmosphere. Great Benefits. Continuous improvement for the employees and the company processes. Walbridge sets the standard for other companies to follow, continously pushing the industry.

Cons

Downsizing of staff due to economy has put more pressure on the remaining employees to do more work with less resources. Project teams are being reduced in size also which makes it harder to provide the best services to our customer. Walbridge has such a high standard that we are slipping into our competition's lower set standards. It is a shame watching this happen.

Keep our standards higher than other companies by maintaining staff especially on project teams. Overall the job our upper management is doing in this tough time is exceptional and I wouldn't want to work anywhere else right now.

Construction Cost Estimator

Former Employee - Construction Cost Estimator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Construction Cost Estimator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Walbridge

Pros

Stable work environment. Not a lot of surprises. People are generally pretty cordial. For the industry, strong training and mentoring programs. Top-notch benefits.

Cons

Travel expectation. Pay (especially bonus) is relatively low compared to other construction firms. Senior management does not do a good job retaining top talent (probably due to bonus structure). Feel of "I've been here longer than you" versus "meritocracy". As senior management retires, difficulty will be finding suitable replacements within company ranks.

The company is on a solid foundation built through years of hard work, sweat, and tears of it's top management. In order to stay on that track, Walbridge should do three things: 1) find the key young talent still at the company and MAKE SURE they stay (i.e. treat them differently!); 2) give key employees preferential geographical options (i.e. let them choose their own project if possible); 3) Allow key players better opportunity at equity stake in company.

Average experience

I worked at Walbridge

Pros

Well known in their industry

Cons

Very Bureacratic....Employees are all Robots

It started off great.

I have been working at Walbridge

Pros

Upper management promotes a safe culture.

Cons

Turned very impersonal. Became greedy.

Tell your employees when they due a good job.