Walbridge

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Rakolta Jr.

Overall a great company to work for as long as you continue to tell them how great you are

I have been working at Walbridge full-time

ProsThe company is diversified amongst market segments and was able to offer stability during difficult economic times. Walbridge has a vision for the future which should provide continued long term growth, however currently looks to be in internation market segments.

Lots of great people, in my experience family oriented. New push for bringing technology to the construction industry. Good coorporate culture, that tends to be a bit brainwashing. I cant think of a lot of real bad things to say.

The company has many processes which overall are helpful.

Walbridge would definately be one of the better GC's to work for.

ConsWalbridge is GC company that is forced to look at the bottom line. employee that move up tend to be the ones that push for it or conform to the office politics model. Employees that focus on the their work and doing a good job can get looked over.

Bonuses are nothing to brag about and often start with the speech "the bonus pool is much smaller this year. We would have liked to give you more, but that would mean that other would not get anything"

Some processes can become a burden to project teams. Process are more geared towards selling the company.

Great Place to work!

Plant Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Walbridge full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay benefits and training opportunities, great Safety culture. Treated more than fairly by management through out my time with the company.

ConsThe only negative I can think of was, that at an internal job interview the HR representative was paying more attention to her laptop than to my responses.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the feeling that everyone counts!

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walbridge full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOutstanding training program, promotes form within up to a certain level.

ConsNot always fair in dealing with people, some things are based on senior management whims.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how things were when Sr was still there.

Overall one of the best companies to work for.

I have been working at Walbridge

ProsGood family work atmosphere. Great Benefits. Continuous improvement for the employees and the company processes. Walbridge sets the standard for other companies to follow, continously pushing the industry.

ConsDownsizing of staff due to economy has put more pressure on the remaining employees to do more work with less resources. Project teams are being reduced in size also which makes it harder to provide the best services to our customer. Walbridge has such a high standard that we are slipping into our competition's lower set standards. It is a shame watching this happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep our standards higher than other companies by maintaining staff especially on project teams. Overall the job our upper management is doing in this tough time is exceptional and I wouldn't want to work anywhere else right now.

Construction Cost Estimator

Construction Cost Estimator (Former Employee)

I worked at Walbridge

ProsStable work environment. Not a lot of surprises. People are generally pretty cordial. For the industry, strong training and mentoring programs. Top-notch benefits.

ConsTravel expectation. Pay (especially bonus) is relatively low compared to other construction firms. Senior management does not do a good job retaining top talent (probably due to bonus structure). Feel of "I've been here longer than you" versus "meritocracy". As senior management retires, difficulty will be finding suitable replacements within company ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is on a solid foundation built through years of hard work, sweat, and tears of it's top management. In order to stay on that track, Walbridge should do three things: 1) find the key young talent still at the company and MAKE SURE they stay (i.e. treat them differently!); 2) give key employees preferential geographical options (i.e. let them choose their own project if possible); 3) Allow key players better opportunity at equity stake in company.

Average experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walbridge

ProsWell known in their industry

ConsVery Bureacratic....Employees are all Robots

It started off great.

I have been working at Walbridge

ProsUpper management promotes a safe culture.

ConsTurned very impersonal. Became greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your employees when they due a good job.

Worked for Walbridge? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walbridge reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walbridge CEO John Rakolta Jr. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Walbridge employees.