Walden Security Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
2.0
Amy S. Walden

Pros
  • Consistent work schedule, type of work is not stressful or difficult (in 2 reviews)

• Their training is better than other companies, because they want the best people working at the various posts (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay does always match workload (in 4 reviews)

• Then adding in the two days of unpaid (but mandatory per the state) "training", which, at the minimum wage of 7 (in 4 reviews)

1. Walden's wage policy. Writer: "Publius".

Current Employee - Security Officer Post Patrol With Some Access Control in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Walden Security

Pros

In the "new economy" Walden is a viable alternative to other low-end work such as food service or retail and some posts pay somewhat more than those other alternatives. Recent events and announcements in retail, however, will isolate Walden if it doesn't keep up.

Cons

Many to most posts pay at or near minimum wage, often to first-job applicants. Question the wisdom of paying those entrusted with the first level protection of people and property to entry level personnel of unknown honesty and diligence making minimum wage. This is a recipe for theft. Further, there is no wage advancement for merit or longevity. The only ways to advance are changing posts or seeking work elsewhere, resulting in high turnover and thus training officers for better paying security providers.

Recruit former military and public safety and pay them an adequate wage with at least a cost of living escalator built in negotiated into Walden's contracts. That would constitute "Setting the Standard by Setting The Example".

More next time.

2. Quick job if you're looking for anything

Current Employee - Concierge/Security Guard in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Concierge/Security Guard in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Walden Security

Pros

Decent pay, get to sit a desk if you're a console worker

Cons

Plenty of drama, Right to work laws, you never know what kind of account manager tie going to get, never really move up, little to few benefits, kind of risky

Not a very good turnover rate

3. A typical contract security company,

Current Employee - Contract Security Guard in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Contract Security Guard in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Walden Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They'll hire just about anyone, the standards to land a job are quite low.

You may get placed in a post where you are your own boss and can work by yourself.

Company takes their armed security posts very serious.

Cons

They'll hire just about anyone, the standards to land a job are quite low, expect to work with others whom refuse to pull their weight, won't be there to help you in an altercation because they're scared or physically unable to fight (They'll hire elderly folk whom can barely walk)

You may get placed in a post where you are dealing with the public, or far worse you must deal with the client (as this is CONTRACT work). Expect to be placed under a microscope and have both client and management watch your every move should your location have cameras, be prepared to answer for every bathroom break or door you opened/

Company only considers ex-military and law-enforcement for armed security work, a definite pro if you happen to be such, if not however you'll have to work an unarmed post with substandard pay and appealing conditions.

You will not under any circumstances advance in this company beyond the entry level position.

As is typical of contract security work you must give up your life to work these jobs. Expect mandatory over-time, constant call ins, and no holidays what-so-ever.

The client isn't always right and trying to appease them isn't working, the reason you go through managers so quickly is because despite their attempts at trying to please CEOs and clients they are never successful and they forget to defend THEMSELVES and the employees, constantly throwing your own workers under the bus is a great way to ruin the image of the company.

Drop your scummy business practices, if you're going to quote lines from a supposed contract then be prepared to provide an employee with a written copy of it. I can't believe this needs to be said, if you've got employees working a contract, then you MUST provide said employees with a copy of said contract, but this contract only exists when you need to get rid of someone.

HIGH TURN OVER ISN'T SOMETHING TO BRAG ABOUT.

5. Just lost my job over something I NEVER actually did.

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

Easy to get the job but this should have been my 1st clue. They have such high turnover I should have done more research before taking the job. I just wanted to get out of my old job for more money.

Cons

Terrible working conditions. Try standing in one place for 12 hrs a day on a concrete or hardwood floor. Then only take a lunch break after 3-3 1/2 hrs, then wait another 3 1/3 hrs to take a 10-15 minute bathroom break. You will worry your bladder is going to explode. They are way understaffed at any given time and cannot give adequate break times. Also, they claim to be para-military but do not have the discipline to really claim this for themselves.

Hired some really qualified people and do everything you can to retain them instead of hiring every average joe that walks through the front door. I doubt they have EVER turned away a single job candidate unless they had prison thug written all over them. It seems you have such heavy turnover because you are trying to justify having your corporate trainer running classes every week. By the way, get your sales people to negotiate better terms when the contracts are signed. Undercutting the competition initially to get business is fine but eventually you have to realize that mistreating your officers will come back to haunt you.

6. Over all a good company to work for with just a few bad things.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Walden Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for David Ritterbush was the best thing about working at walden security. He always ade sure we had everything we needed and was always contacting me for other security details and extra over time if I wanted it.

Cons

Some of the management would write people up for things they them selves were doing.

Take a closer look at how your field supervisors are trained and how they do things. It would help stop a lot of the problems at the officer level before they ever had to reach upper management.

7. Not worth it

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

The work was incredibly easy. Just sit there and sign people in and out, answer the occasional phone call and such. Walk around the location to make sure it's not on fire when nobody is working in there. VERY good about approving time off requests

Cons

Incredibly boring. Direct management could be rude at times and very uncaring. Wacky hours and if your relief doesn't show up you're stuck there. Turnover rate is ridiculously high.

If the supervisors and managers were more personable it'd be a much better place to work. Fix the scheduling.

Only work here if the alternative is homelessness.

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chatsworth, GA
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chatsworth, GA

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

The job is not demanding, and you can get by by doing very little at your post.

Cons

Lying management. They will tell you someone is relieving you, and then say "Oops, you have to work a 16 hour shift". They will tell you you're getting paid 10.00 an hour, then take it down to 8 and say "Well, I guess someone lied to you" and never say another word about it. Working overtime? Good luck being compensated, it took me 3 months of constant calling of my boss to get my extra hours pay. If this is your first job, good luck getting out of it. The random hours make it impossible to look for something else. You can work as many hours as you want, but no one will be appreciative of it.

Don't lie to your employees. Look at your turnover rate. Do you want no one to work for you? If I heard a friend of mine was thinking of applying at your company, I would strongly advise them against it. I am honestly surprised how you've avoided a lawsuit this long, as I was under the impression that outright lying to your employees was illegal.

Very bad

Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Anniston, AL
    Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Anniston, AL

I worked at Walden Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cant think of any. They deserve no stars at all

Cons

Buddy buddy system fire people over hear say that's not even true. Hire in another state.

In another state so don't know what's going on at site. Backs up there supervisors even when they are in the wrong. And doesn't treat all employees equal.

walden

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

none I could see now

Cons

Officers do not relieve you on time. Training is unprofessional

retain better officers

11. One of a kind!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Walden Security full-time

Pros

The company culture is warm and welcoming with friendly people that are willing to help whenever you need them. Your success with the company is based on what you contribute. If you work hard and try to make an impact, you truly can. Lots of perks, competitive company healthcare benefits, PTO, scholarship programs (for you and your children) and monthly birthday celebrations to name a few.

Cons

I wish I would've started here sooner!

Management is tremendous and although there are some cultural growing pains (due to rapid growth), overall, I couldn't be happier.