Walden Security

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
2.0

Amy S. Walden

Over all a good company to work for with just a few bad things.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Walden Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for David Ritterbush was the best thing about working at walden security. He always ade sure we had everything we needed and was always contacting me for other security details and extra over time if I wanted it.

Cons

Some of the management would write people up for things they them selves were doing.

Take a closer look at how your field supervisors are trained and how they do things. It would help stop a lot of the problems at the officer level before they ever had to reach upper management.

Just lost my job over something I NEVER actually did.

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

Easy to get the job but this should have been my 1st clue. They have such high turnover I should have done more research before taking the job. I just wanted to get out of my old job for more money.

Cons

Terrible working conditions. Try standing in one place for 12 hrs a day on a concrete or hardwood floor. Then only take a lunch break after 3-3 1/2 hrs, then wait another 3 1/3 hrs to take a 10-15 minute bathroom break. You will worry your bladder is going to explode. They are way understaffed at any given time and cannot give adequate break times. Also, they claim to be para-military but do not have the discipline to really claim this for themselves.

Hired some really qualified people and do everything you can to retain them instead of hiring every average joe that walks through the front door. I doubt they have EVER turned away a single job candidate unless they had prison thug written all over them. It seems you have such heavy turnover because you are trying to justify having your corporate trainer running classes every week. By the way, get your sales people to negotiate better terms when the contracts are signed. Undercutting the competition initially to get business is fine but eventually you have to realize that mistreating your officers will come back to haunt you.

Only work here if the alternative is homelessness.

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chatsworth, GA
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chatsworth, GA

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

The job is not demanding, and you can get by by doing very little at your post.

Cons

Lying management. They will tell you someone is relieving you, and then say "Oops, you have to work a 16 hour shift". They will tell you you're getting paid 10.00 an hour, then take it down to 8 and say "Well, I guess someone lied to you" and never say another word about it. Working overtime? Good luck being compensated, it took me 3 months of constant calling of my boss to get my extra hours pay. If this is your first job, good luck getting out of it. The random hours make it impossible to look for something else. You can work as many hours as you want, but no one will be appreciative of it.

Don't lie to your employees. Look at your turnover rate. Do you want no one to work for you? If I heard a friend of mine was thinking of applying at your company, I would strongly advise them against it. I am honestly surprised how you've avoided a lawsuit this long, as I was under the impression that outright lying to your employees was illegal.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

The work was incredibly easy. Just sit there and sign people in and out, answer the occasional phone call and such. Walk around the location to make sure it's not on fire when nobody is working in there. VERY good about approving time off requests

Cons

Incredibly boring. Direct management could be rude at times and very uncaring. Wacky hours and if your relief doesn't show up you're stuck there. Turnover rate is ridiculously high.

If the supervisors and managers were more personable it'd be a much better place to work. Fix the scheduling.

Very bad

Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Anniston, AL
    Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Anniston, AL

I worked at Walden Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cant think of any. They deserve no stars at all

Cons

Buddy buddy system fire people over hear say that's not even true. Hire in another state.

In another state so don't know what's going on at site. Backs up there supervisors even when they are in the wrong. And doesn't treat all employees equal.

walden

I worked at Walden Security

Pros

none I could see now

Cons

Officers do not relieve you on time. Training is unprofessional

retain better officers

One of a kind!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Walden Security full-time

Pros

The company culture is warm and welcoming with friendly people that are willing to help whenever you need them. Your success with the company is based on what you contribute. If you work hard and try to make an impact, you truly can. Lots of perks, competitive company healthcare benefits, PTO, scholarship programs (for you and your children) and monthly birthday celebrations to name a few.

Cons

I wish I would've started here sooner!

Management is tremendous and although there are some cultural growing pains (due to rapid growth), overall, I couldn't be happier.

HOW NOT TO RUN A SECURITY COMPANY

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Walden Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was fair. Leadership was never there. There was no culture

Cons

You cannot run a security company from another state with no knowledge of the state or city where your trying to establish a good company. Upper management should be in Charlotte Not in Tenn.

Get some people in upper management who knows about security. Being in the Marines does not make you an expert in the security field.

Disconnect between office and sites

I have been working at Walden Security

Pros

Good first security job to get experience. If you are looking for a job it is better than the unemployment line.

Cons

The office doesn't know the struggles of the sites, all it sees is numbers. Most are understaffed and underpaid. Do not bother getting health insurance from them. It cost a lot and doesn't cover much, not to mention you won't even get a insurance card.

Listen to the employees. Find out why there is a high turnover rate at all of your sites.

Poor Pay

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Walden Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Experience in the security industry will hire anybody that wants that experience

Cons

Management don't offer you a bottle of water during Orientation (Unpaid) 2 days then they want you to be there from 8 am to 5. They did not offer lunch for their new employees. We had to go buy our own lunch Downtown Chattanooga Area (Traffic) And the also Charge you $25.00 for wearing their uniforms.I thought company's that you work for offer free uniforms.. Where do they do that at. Pay is horrible minimum wage 7.25

Take care of employees share the wealth by paying employees more money.