Walden Security

Add Photos

Amy S. Walden

They're an okay company.

Security Officer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThey have good training, management is polite. They give you plenty of uniforms, whereas many security companies will only give you a couple shirts and a couple pairs of pants.

ConsDon't count on a straight answer on what your pay will be. I was working at a contract with Daimler and the security company was switched to Walden; we were all told that we would be making $10 an hour and we ended up all making $9 an hour. I also found myself working odd hours; I was told I could have Sundays off for church and then they made me work Sundays. I would not want this job if I had a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be more straightforward about what the employees will be getting.

Good for college kids.

Security Officer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe pros--interview wasn't hard, the pay was $10 an hour for unarmed guard work (basically no work at all, if you got a decent site/position) and was zero stress.

ConsThey don't mention it--but after the 3 days of unpaid training, they charge you $150 or so for hiring you. Literally, hiring fees for paperwork and such.

They also are horrible at communication. When I wanted more hours, it took over a week for anyone to reply to calls/emails. I got one email back asking me to come in to discuss it--which for me, was a 17 mile drive one way, without being told "yes, we have hours in your area."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better at communication. Give employees contact numbers or email addresses where they can quickly find out about open sites/hours in their area. And tell people you're charging them hiring fees!

The employees made the job fun. The management was always threatening the employees about firing them.

Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe pay was great for contract security company. My co-workers were excellent.

ConsTheir benefits sucked. They dont back up their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees that you appreciate the work that they did for you on your government contract.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They play dirty!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone! You'll be ready to quit within 5mins.

ConsThe higher ups are wicked and racist. They will stick together and if u make an anonymous complaint everyone knows about it and u will be singled out!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour officers are the ones making you money! Show more appreciation!

outstanding security service

Prosgrowing security company that fully understands the customer service approach of security

Consnon that I can think of at this moment

Horrible Supervisors ruin this company.

Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee) Vonore, TN

ProsYou get to know the other officers really well. I have become close to the people at my post and we all get along great.

ConsThe supervisors in the office do not keep up with anything. They do not know what is happening in the field. The weekend field supervisors are absolutely no help.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain field supervisors better before putting them out on their own. Offer people already with the company empty positions rather than hiring new people to fill them.

Was ok. Benefits sucked and for the amount we were paying into medical we all thought they were skimming somehow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad good pay. About 18 hour. That was about it.

ConsHealthcare benefits lacking. 401k program was horrible also. Had to pay for own boots,shirts, and socks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your officers. If they have better healthcare they stay healthier and with the company longer. Better 401k matching also. I know your in the business to make a profit but a raise would have been nice. We stayed the same rate for the 4 years I was with you.

Pay to work?

Security Officer (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI saw/experienced absolutely nothing "pro" about this company.

ConsDuring the initial interview, the site supervisor told I had to go get a background criminal history done at my local county courthouse/law enforcement - that was the first 25 dollars from my pocket.
    Then they told me I/we had to attend a mandatory two day training (40 miles away one way - would be 160 round trip for two days) but they neglected to inform me/us (until the second day of class) that the two days would be unpaid. No one is this class was happy about that revelation.
    Also, it should be noted that on all of our paperwork, we were told by the HR employee, as well as the classroom instructor, to use the first day of class as our "hired on" date - which we all did.
    On that same second day, they gave us a "fee list" - to the tune of 143 dollars that they said we had to sign a form which authorized them to deduct that amount (143 dollars) from our first paycheck.
    The 'fee list' had five (5) items on it:
    1. Thirty (30) dollars for the state license fee.
    2. Thirty eight (38) dollars for the fingerprints fee.
    3. Twenty Five (25) dollars for a (supposedly refundable) uniform deposit.
    4. Ten (10) dollars for a background check
    5. 40 dollars for an "administrative fee".
    Then, of course, you have to buy your own white tshirts, black shoes, socks - which, in my case, I bought a 30 dollar pair of shoes at Walmart, 10 dollars of tshirts, and about 8 dollars for the socks.
    So I add the 143 "fee list" - plus 25 background check fee and approximately 48 dollars for the shoes, tshirts,socks. That (my cost) comes to approximately 216.00 dollars
    Then adding in the two days of unpaid (but mandatory per the state) "training", which, at the minimum wage of 7.25 an hour would come to 116 dollars - add that to the 216 and the grand daddy total of monetary debt/loss is
    $332.00.
    I didn't add in the gas it took to drive the 40 miles one way a day for two days (180 miles total) - some in the class drove further than I had to).
    Where I come from this is referred to as shaking someone down for money.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou probably won't last long in the business world if this is how all of your offices do business with their employees.

Disconnect between supervisors

Security Guard (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsImmediate Hire
    Supply uniforms for you

ConsLow Pay
    People always call in
    Will work you to death if you let them
    Supervisors are out of touch with chain of command

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking of the client instead of getting upset at the employee for doing what they were told. You have clients asking for one thing and supervisors telling you another. The guard is usually stuck in the middle getting in trouble no matter what then. Stop treating employees as expendable. They want this job just as much as you need the spot filled so recognize your good employees that don't call in, try to fill slots for you and try to work with them instead of just treating them like trash.

Great start to get security work experience.

Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWill hire you on the spot

ConsLow pay does always match workload.

Worked for Walden Security? Contribute to the Community!