Walgreens Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

3,727 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,973 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 233 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

67 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I've been with the company seven years

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Irving, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It an okay company to work for i have worked for 3 different stores. easy to be promoted within departments

Cons

working holidays, no balance between work and life, only promotes to upper management training once a year and usually the store manager decides who can participate.

one thing that everyone at my current store is complaining about is scheduling...there is not fair scheduling at the store i am currently working at people work up to ten days straight and not only that the days are split so my advice to management is to get more training and stop thinking that you are right all the time

A work in progress (2014)

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, and when they are finished restructuring I can see a lot of possibilities for upward movement.

Cons

They used to be a very people-oriented company, and they still are. They've "cut the fat" in the corporate structure, and not on the store level. But it used to have so much more great opportunities for advancement and appreciation.

Get back to the Four Way Test. Back to the roots of Walgreens. You can still have your change and forward progression while building off your most precious asset -- the people you chose to employ. They'll take care of your customers.

Team Member

Former Employee - Split Case Picker (Team Member) in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Split Case Picker (Team Member) in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Distribution Center, and I was very pleased with the pay, work, and work environment.

Cons

I had to maintain great hand-to-eye coordination as a Split-Case Picker.

I actually enjoyed everything about the management, with the exception of the HR team's decision to fire me after my Mom passed away, and I had asked for an extension on my bereavement, but the Distribution Center Manager at the time denied my request due to the "need of the business". Also, it's important to mention that I had been there for a little over 3 years and they would not be understanding towards my personal situation.

Incompetent upper management will ruin this company

Current Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relationships made with some customers and co-workers.
    Employee discount on most purchases.
    Free flu shot every year.
    You get to work inside.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Every store is a little different with the working environment ranging from terrible to tolerable, with this being mostly dependent upon the store or district manager. There are some real psychos out there who have absolutely no business being employed by this company, let alone being in a position to make others miserable. The company's standards are all over the place, their metrics inconsistent in both how they are measured and how they are applied to employees. An employee can work for Walgreens for a decade, obtain a high annual performance evaluation and numerous customer service awards, but still be fired because they didn't say "Thank You and Be Well" six times. Upper management is more concerned with whether or not employees use the so-called branded expressions than they are with ensuring their employees are properly trained, led and equipped.

Stop doing the things I mentioned above. Get rid of the Balance Rewards Card, it provides no tangible benefit while creating an unnecessary bottleneck at checkout that is frustrating to both employees and customers. End this bizarre fixation on Branded Expressions and fire the person/group of people who were so insistent that it would be in any way a positive move for the company to take. Stop wasting literally thousands of dollars to train people on ridiculous training that basically consists of reporting/punishing people who do not use branded expressions and, again, provides no tangible benefit to your employees, your customers or your investors.

Get rid of store managers who are, to put it bluntly, insane. Focus on creating a positive working environment for your employees by ensuring that their superiors are qualified and trained to lead. Set a high standard for store level leadership and reward not only the store managers but also their direct subordinates. Start paying employees better; we are NOT adequately compensated for the amount of crap we have to put up with. Stop coming up with absurdly convoluted requirements for store managers and allow them to focus on running their stores without the endless stream of unnecessary meetings.

Photo tech.

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Haltom City, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Haltom City, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company did offer a lot better incentives when I first got hired especially with paid time off, but around 2013 the did away with it. Now its called PTO which works okay but much more difficult to gain hours.
    Compensation is not well but considering I work in a state where business is favored over employee you cannot complain much, pay increases are on how much you grew as an employee but has to do a lot with how well you get along with mgt. pay increases are pretty mediocre compared to other companies and they take longer to give a pay increase than the usual six months.
    The company does offer limited amount of advancement opportunities pretty much either you can become an Rx tech and get paid a little more or you can become a shift leader which you can also get paid little more.
    The company does pay for tuition to get you certified for an Rx tech which you can always go to some other company and used it.
    they do offer a pretty good benefits such as profit sharing, 401k, and health insurance, but keep in mind that with the compensation you get, you cannot afford all those benefits unless you have a second job or your a manager.

Cons

Like mentioned before pay increases are pretty mediocre they increase by cents (and I did not do bad on employee evaluation). They also take longer than six months to give any type of increase.

Every employee except managers are capped on compensation, that is something the company started around 2013.

the employee discount just increase to 25% on products that are from Walgreens only (does not include prescriptions, alcohol, or dairy). for other private brand products the employee discount is a mere 15%.

Opportunity for advancement is quite limited. from an associate you can only become either a shift leader or an RX tech. these positions are also capped at pay increases, it is quite difficult to move up the ladder to become general manager or assistant manager. there is an Assistant manager trainee program but its quite difficult to get (in my district they preferred to pick someone of the street than someone within the company).

benefits are really good if you can afford them, with my pay I could only afford to get the health benefits, if I were to pick to something like 401k I would end up with small paychecks. Only seems to benefit employees that work in corporate, employees with seniority, or managers.

the company also got rid of a manager position so they wouldn't have to pay as much in compensation. thos actions increase the turn over rate dramatically.

communication is key, recent changes regarding employees will not benefit the company in the long run, will have increase turn over rate. Instead of knowing people to move up the ladder, one should consider the skills that a person will provide as a leader.

Good Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Plano, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very decent pay if you stick it out. I got a lot of chances to move up because management liked me. You learn a lot of things about make up and photo if you are in those departments. They do very thorough training.

Cons

I know they are open every day of the year, but only Managers high up or that have been there for years get to take the decent holidays off. I was stuck with labor day and easter off but had to work both thanksgiving and christmas.. alone! Those are very busy days, so they go by fast, but I didn't like having to pay my dues for 3 years to get a christmas holiday off.

The management plays favorite at all the stores... I worked at 4 locations and always saw this. There tends to be a lot of drama, and management will write you up for something that they do repeatedly. Unfair. & the CEO spends his days writing 6 page blogs... EVERYDAY.

Was a great job. Now a nightmare. Stay away.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customers are great.

Cons

Lack of communication. Constant rumors of downsizing. Lowering pay scales. Less employees and more work.

Believe in your people and pay them a fair wage.

This company shows no respect to those that have made the company what it is today

Current Employee - SFL in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - SFL in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The healthcare industry is strong therefore the company will continue to exist.

Cons

Poor pay, capped income levels, retail hours destroy family life, not much room for advancement, They are money hungry and could care less about me and my family. Have had 3 pay cuts over the past 5 years and am doing the same job. Only the store managers and pharmacists make any money and the company is working hard to find ways to cut their positions as well.When Jeff Rain our previous CEO left, so did the care for employees.

Have some respect for your people as moral is horrible and everyone I know is wanting to get out. Get into the stores and talk to your employees. Not the managers but the little guys who have been hurt by the pay cuts.Even though your stock prices are soaring, your people hate what the company has done to them. Shame on you!

Too much for too little in a 24 hour

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Haltom City, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Haltom City, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits for the most part. Employee discount comes in handy. Wages for techs is good if your certified.

Cons

Unbalance scheduling with lack of back up help for those who get sick. Never seem to get Management to hear you out. Have to check your pay or they gimp you on hours sometimes because of glitches in the clock or managers not adding in your time. Oh yes you will always be multitasking because they never have enough help.

Hire people who can stay longer then a couple of months. And hire people please.

It's ok to work but not enough pay.

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Mesquite, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Mesquite, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work here is that you get health ins., life ins., dental ins., and vision ins. and good employees to work with.

Cons

Photo specialist sometimes get busy in the photo department and the manager expects you to do some other tasks including photo orders, and he rushes you to get your task done sometimes you cannot get the task done.