Walgreens

4,143 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,143 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company going down wrong track

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Pay is good , good employees, employees like family members

Cons

no family life, expected to live there and do it all yourself. Headed down the dollar store way pay was good but continues to be taken away and more duties of positions above you being put on you

Its a love hate relationship

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and competitive pay

Cons

Non consistent long hours, stress

Need more people per store

This is a company that can either make you or break you depending on how you play the game.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Flexible work schedule with varying tasks to keep things fresh, you meet some good people, pretty nice benefits.

Cons

You have to work holidays, they don't want to pay overtime and you have to play the game in order to get promotion. Not always based on work done, it is also somewhat of a popularity contest.

Be open to being on the floor with your team if you want to receive the respect you seek.

Satisfied long time employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a lasting corporation; Walgreens has managers who care, great benefits, and on-the-job training which makes this a great work place to start a career in business/sales, etc.

Cons

Sometimes managers do not realize everything about how the new registers work and in their busy-ness can be a bit abrupt and insensitive to customers and employees. Corporate employees sometimes put a lot of pressure on store managers and that pressure gets passed on to the entire team through stressed out managers.

Keep up with the latest literature on maintaining the best teams. I have found plenty of good books on management of teams in the library-- about management I would love to be under. And I think our teams would function on a whole new level of efficiency if we implemented such things as pointing out the good things our employees are doing while encouraging them in their advancement as persons and employees. Actually my current boss did a great job of this with me, and I fully appreciate him. My other managers have been less encouraging in the past, even discouraging my advancement in the company. I can understand as they may have thought I could not improve at the time or had other goals on my mind which was true in California. And at least one manager there did imply that perhaps I could attempt management.

Management ruins a good job

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours were flexible, but that depends on the manager. I made some great friends and I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers. Interacting with customers could lead to great conversations, but be aware that some customers will take out a bad day on you. I received good training, and it didn't take long to get comfortable there.

Cons

You are paid a low wage, and after working there for a year you only receive a $0.20/hr raise. My store manager withheld my raise from me for four months. Managers played favorites when it came to assigning tasks and giving promotions. When customers were exceptionally rude to employees, management would break company policy to appease them, making the employees look bad for trying to uphold company policy. Management rarely came to the aid of a cashier who needed their assistance, and when they did they took a very long time. This caused the line to back up, customers to get exceedingly angry, and sometimes customers would simply leave. Some managers obsessively micromanaged employees. Each manager is responsible for a different department, but only some managers held their departments accountable for cleanliness and expirations. They would pull me out of my department to fix another department, and then scold me for not having finished the tasks in my department. Management gave more hours to people that they favored. They cut hours in half without any notice, and never gave any indication of when they would give more hours. Sometimes I would go a few months with only 20 hours or less when I had previously been working 35-40 hours. Because of this I was never given any benefits.

Stop favoring certain employees over others. Too many managers let their personal feelings get in the way of proper management. Managers need to be more engaged, rather than making employees feel bad when they finally answer a call for help. It seemed that they did not want to help their employees. They deliberately ignored calls for help. They need to take responsibility for their own tasks, rather than handing them off to employees who already have tasks to complete in their own department. Personal dislike of employees should not affect when an employee gets their raise.

Not a career place, just a job

Current Employee - SFL in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - SFL in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers
    OK benefits
    Easy work

Cons

Huge work loads per person due to cost cutting
    Alot of preference for individuals leads to bad treatment of some people
    Low pay
    Very low opportunities to advance

Remember that your staff are people too, with personal lives, that have bills to pay, and deserve fair treatment which for a lot of store managers isn't a thing if you aren't on their good side

Last resort

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you get a good pharmacy manager they are willing to give you good vacation time. Overtime helps compensate for low wage

Cons

no matter if you are certified or not you do a lot of work for a low wage. Walgreens is a corporation who cares for themselves not the wellbeing of the employees. Low wages with not nice customers at times.

be kind to employees they do a lot of work for a low wage.

not recommended

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time (less than a year)

Pros

as a company there are very few pros. i regret working for them. coworkers were fine but that's it.

Cons

management has no respect for employees. it felt more like high school than a work place but the only people gossiping were management.

treat employees like humans and maybe look to yourself when trying to figure out the problems.

I've been with the company seven years

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Irving, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It an okay company to work for i have worked for 3 different stores. easy to be promoted within departments

Cons

working holidays, no balance between work and life, only promotes to upper management training once a year and usually the store manager decides who can participate.

one thing that everyone at my current store is complaining about is scheduling...there is not fair scheduling at the store i am currently working at people work up to ten days straight and not only that the days are split so my advice to management is to get more training and stop thinking that you are right all the time

A work in progress (2014)

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, and when they are finished restructuring I can see a lot of possibilities for upward movement.

Cons

They used to be a very people-oriented company, and they still are. They've "cut the fat" in the corporate structure, and not on the store level. But it used to have so much more great opportunities for advancement and appreciation.

Get back to the Four Way Test. Back to the roots of Walgreens. You can still have your change and forward progression while building off your most precious asset -- the people you chose to employ. They'll take care of your customers.