Walgreens

3,959 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,070 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management ruins a good job

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours were flexible, but that depends on the manager. I made some great friends and I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers. Interacting with customers could lead to great conversations, but be aware that some customers will take out a bad day on you. I received good training, and it didn't take long to get comfortable there.

Cons

You are paid a low wage, and after working there for a year you only receive a $0.20/hr raise. My store manager withheld my raise from me for four months. Managers played favorites when it came to assigning tasks and giving promotions. When customers were exceptionally rude to employees, management would break company policy to appease them, making the employees look bad for trying to uphold company policy. Management rarely came to the aid of a cashier who needed their assistance, and when they did they took a very long time. This caused the line to back up, customers to get exceedingly angry, and sometimes customers would simply leave. Some managers obsessively micromanaged employees. Each manager is responsible for a different department, but only some managers held their departments accountable for cleanliness and expirations. They would pull me out of my department to fix another department, and then scold me for not having finished the tasks in my department. Management gave more hours to people that they favored. They cut hours in half without any notice, and never gave any indication of when they would give more hours. Sometimes I would go a few months with only 20 hours or less when I had previously been working 35-40 hours. Because of this I was never given any benefits.

Stop favoring certain employees over others. Too many managers let their personal feelings get in the way of proper management. Managers need to be more engaged, rather than making employees feel bad when they finally answer a call for help. It seemed that they did not want to help their employees. They deliberately ignored calls for help. They need to take responsibility for their own tasks, rather than handing them off to employees who already have tasks to complete in their own department. Personal dislike of employees should not affect when an employee gets their raise.

Last resort

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you get a good pharmacy manager they are willing to give you good vacation time. Overtime helps compensate for low wage

Cons

no matter if you are certified or not you do a lot of work for a low wage. Walgreens is a corporation who cares for themselves not the wellbeing of the employees. Low wages with not nice customers at times.

be kind to employees they do a lot of work for a low wage.

not recommended

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

as a company there are very few pros. i regret working for them. coworkers were fine but that's it.

Cons

management has no respect for employees. it felt more like high school than a work place but the only people gossiping were management.

treat employees like humans and maybe look to yourself when trying to figure out the problems.

Incompetent upper management will ruin this company

Current Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relationships made with some customers and co-workers.
    Employee discount on most purchases.
    Free flu shot every year.
    You get to work inside.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Every store is a little different with the working environment ranging from terrible to tolerable, with this being mostly dependent upon the store or district manager. There are some real psychos out there who have absolutely no business being employed by this company, let alone being in a position to make others miserable. The company's standards are all over the place, their metrics inconsistent in both how they are measured and how they are applied to employees. An employee can work for Walgreens for a decade, obtain a high annual performance evaluation and numerous customer service awards, but still be fired because they didn't say "Thank You and Be Well" six times. Upper management is more concerned with whether or not employees use the so-called branded expressions than they are with ensuring their employees are properly trained, led and equipped.

Stop doing the things I mentioned above. Get rid of the Balance Rewards Card, it provides no tangible benefit while creating an unnecessary bottleneck at checkout that is frustrating to both employees and customers. End this bizarre fixation on Branded Expressions and fire the person/group of people who were so insistent that it would be in any way a positive move for the company to take. Stop wasting literally thousands of dollars to train people on ridiculous training that basically consists of reporting/punishing people who do not use branded expressions and, again, provides no tangible benefit to your employees, your customers or your investors.

Get rid of store managers who are, to put it bluntly, insane. Focus on creating a positive working environment for your employees by ensuring that their superiors are qualified and trained to lead. Set a high standard for store level leadership and reward not only the store managers but also their direct subordinates. Start paying employees better; we are NOT adequately compensated for the amount of crap we have to put up with. Stop coming up with absurdly convoluted requirements for store managers and allow them to focus on running their stores without the endless stream of unnecessary meetings.

I've been with the company seven years

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Irving, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It an okay company to work for i have worked for 3 different stores. easy to be promoted within departments

Cons

working holidays, no balance between work and life, only promotes to upper management training once a year and usually the store manager decides who can participate.

one thing that everyone at my current store is complaining about is scheduling...there is not fair scheduling at the store i am currently working at people work up to ten days straight and not only that the days are split so my advice to management is to get more training and stop thinking that you are right all the time

A work in progress (2014)

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, and when they are finished restructuring I can see a lot of possibilities for upward movement.

Cons

They used to be a very people-oriented company, and they still are. They've "cut the fat" in the corporate structure, and not on the store level. But it used to have so much more great opportunities for advancement and appreciation.

Get back to the Four Way Test. Back to the roots of Walgreens. You can still have your change and forward progression while building off your most precious asset -- the people you chose to employ. They'll take care of your customers.

Team Member

Former Employee - Split Case Picker (Team Member) in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Split Case Picker (Team Member) in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Distribution Center, and I was very pleased with the pay, work, and work environment.

Cons

I had to maintain great hand-to-eye coordination as a Split-Case Picker.

I actually enjoyed everything about the management, with the exception of the HR team's decision to fire me after my Mom passed away, and I had asked for an extension on my bereavement, but the Distribution Center Manager at the time denied my request due to the "need of the business". Also, it's important to mention that I had been there for a little over 3 years and they would not be understanding towards my personal situation.

Greedy corporation!!!

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I personally love my fellow co-workers and customers are not to bad at my location. Pay is better than cvs. Pretty hard to get fired

Cons

Always busy and understaffed
    Branded greetings are being shoved down our throats and forced on our innocent customers making us who actually care sound like fake, insensitive robots
    Responsibilities are added daily yet hours and raises are cut lower and lower
    Hours fluctuate supposedly based on business of the pharmacy but its just not true. They are just squeezing every penny they can.
    Pharmacists are stressed because they get no breaks and take it out on techs and customers
    Customers #1 complaints are the lines and wait it takes for someone to answer the phones because once again they refuse to put another person on the shift regardless of how many billions in profit they make.
    Raises are given once a year and the new maximum raise as of 2014 is 25 cents though most will not get that.
    Sexist environments occur sometimes and unless you have hard evidence no one will listen and you will be retaliated against!
    They have the PTO system in place for all time off vacation or sick time.
    If you call in for whatever reason which you have the right to they will cut your hours.

Stop being so stingy take care of your customers and put 1 extra person on the shift! Morale of employees and customers would sky rocket and the loss of profits would be $0. You would probably earn more because people wouldn't always get mad and take there prescriptions elsewhere because of long waits. They can wait at walmart and pay much much less. Be more understanding of your women workers they are moms yes and sometimes things come up but they are also usually breadwinners for their families and its not fair to cut hours or threaten demotion because they use PTO they have earned. Also stop luring in new employees with the idea that maybe one day they can be in the pharmacy since that is just not realistic and almost never happens. NO ONE wants your stupid compliment cards that is a joke doesn't put more money in your pocket or help fill......

Photo tech.

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Haltom City, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Haltom City, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company did offer a lot better incentives when I first got hired especially with paid time off, but around 2013 the did away with it. Now its called PTO which works okay but much more difficult to gain hours.
    Compensation is not well but considering I work in a state where business is favored over employee you cannot complain much, pay increases are on how much you grew as an employee but has to do a lot with how well you get along with mgt. pay increases are pretty mediocre compared to other companies and they take longer to give a pay increase than the usual six months.
    The company does offer limited amount of advancement opportunities pretty much either you can become an Rx tech and get paid a little more or you can become a shift leader which you can also get paid little more.
    The company does pay for tuition to get you certified for an Rx tech which you can always go to some other company and used it.
    they do offer a pretty good benefits such as profit sharing, 401k, and health insurance, but keep in mind that with the compensation you get, you cannot afford all those benefits unless you have a second job or your a manager.

Cons

Like mentioned before pay increases are pretty mediocre they increase by cents (and I did not do bad on employee evaluation). They also take longer than six months to give any type of increase.

Every employee except managers are capped on compensation, that is something the company started around 2013.

the employee discount just increase to 25% on products that are from Walgreens only (does not include prescriptions, alcohol, or dairy). for other private brand products the employee discount is a mere 15%.

Opportunity for advancement is quite limited. from an associate you can only become either a shift leader or an RX tech. these positions are also capped at pay increases, it is quite difficult to move up the ladder to become general manager or assistant manager. there is an Assistant manager trainee program but its quite difficult to get (in my district they preferred to pick someone of the street than someone within the company).

benefits are really good if you can afford them, with my pay I could only afford to get the health benefits, if I were to pick to something like 401k I would end up with small paychecks. Only seems to benefit employees that work in corporate, employees with seniority, or managers.

the company also got rid of a manager position so they wouldn't have to pay as much in compensation. thos actions increase the turn over rate dramatically.

communication is key, recent changes regarding employees will not benefit the company in the long run, will have increase turn over rate. Instead of knowing people to move up the ladder, one should consider the skills that a person will provide as a leader.

Good Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Plano, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very decent pay if you stick it out. I got a lot of chances to move up because management liked me. You learn a lot of things about make up and photo if you are in those departments. They do very thorough training.

Cons

I know they are open every day of the year, but only Managers high up or that have been there for years get to take the decent holidays off. I was stuck with labor day and easter off but had to work both thanksgiving and christmas.. alone! Those are very busy days, so they go by fast, but I didn't like having to pay my dues for 3 years to get a christmas holiday off.

The management plays favorite at all the stores... I worked at 4 locations and always saw this. There tends to be a lot of drama, and management will write you up for something that they do repeatedly. Unfair. & the CEO spends his days writing 6 page blogs... EVERYDAY.