Walgreens

Walgreens Reviews in Deerfield, IL

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson

Greg Wasson

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be(in 206 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good(in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent(in 76 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management(in 122 reviews)

133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good stepping stone

Service Delivery Analyst/Manager (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsGood managers create good working environment

ConsBudgets are tight, so contracts are not renewed

Fun place to work

Coordinator (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsFitness Center, room to grow in the company

ConsExpensive Insurance. more and more benefits get removed every year.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsEvery day brings a challenge. good training program. there is room for upward movement.
    Good pay. Every day brings a challenge. good training program. there is room for upward movement.
    Good pay.

ConsThey are currently is a lay off mode for corporate employees. They are looking to reduce the work force by 1400 people

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes a bad apple in upper management can leave a bad taste for the rest of the department…

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gets boring

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsStarted receiving bonusing at an analytical level 3 years ago

ConsVery political to move aroung the company

Very friendly culture and awesome environment

Big Data Architect (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsTotal freedom to launch your concepts and no nagging

ConsI see no challenges other than I miss my family at times.

Run away as fast as you can.

Audit (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

Pros-Alternative work schedules
    -Friendly coworkers
    -Decent benefits (PTO, 401K, Dental/Medical/Vision)
    -Have a "University" dedicated to training and development

Cons-No work/life balance
    -Half the year is spent on SOX testing with unrealistic deadlines
    -One of the department managers is borderline abusive and the others seem disconnected
    -Merit-based bonuses are determined by managers other than your reporting manager

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff as the white collar professionals they are.

Dissatisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsVery large company, lots of opportunities to move around among departments.

ConsThis is a company that only cares about money, not people. Pay is low for those that have been with the company for a while. Benefits are ok, not great. Vacation time only comes with tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees, and thank them for their job every so often.

Corporate Arrogance personified

Director (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsA lot of opportunities to progress through ones career in the corporate office, however, in many instances, there are promotional opportunities through longevity rather than merit.

ConsExtermely siloed organization with significant layers of bureacracy, which is subject to groupthink on a regular basis. The arrogance of some senior leaders is alarming that people really will go out of their way and/or pay more just to shop at Walgreens. The ESI debacle is exhibit A.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old / in with some new blood. Fresh eyes would be very beneficial to this organization at the more senior levels.

Bored me to death

Information Technology (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsIf you really like to sit back, relax and daydream, corporate headquarters is the place for you.

ConsPeople stay there waiting for other people to retire or die to get promoted. Not a forward-thinking organization. Store design and layout continues in the traditional landfill school of interior design. Employee discount is subpar. It's like going to 7-11 with a pharmacy and more junk. Seriously, it's cheaper to go to Target, get your prescription, groceries and everything else in one trip.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood. You are the largest part of the company's problems. What you're doing to the pharmacists is compromising patient safety. No matter the amount of unhealthy products and high-margin poorly made store brand stuff a person purchases in a trip, if that person walks out of the store with a prescription, they are a patient.

The pharmacist needs to have the time and resources to fill the prescription properly, verify with the prescriber that no error had been made/request a generic substitution or formulary product if necessary. The pharmacy is not Dominos Pizza - guaranteeing a prescription will be ready in x minutes or less or you get a $25 gift card (and the pharmacist gets chewed out for "bad customer service" by some clueless non-pharmacist) is beyond insane. There is a difference between "acute" and "chronic" - Mr I Can't Wait complains because he's addicted to Oxycontin like his hero Rush Limbaugh, his high is just wearing off, and he needs three more in addition to the 7 he has left in his bottle cause 8 at a time just don't do it any more for him. Ms Wheezy Pneumonia has the shivers, shakes, fever and she can't breathe. She just came from the urgent care with a few prescriptions to help get her through the night and hopefully keep her pneumonia at bay so she doesn't have to go to the hospital. The pharmacist does the right thing, but gets penalized for it...

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Legal management is stuck in the 50s

Senior Attorney (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsStock options are great for the time being. Flexible work schedule. People in some legal departments are great to work with and want the best for the company, but that's a handful.

ConsLegal management is clueless. No real world experience. Technology is not a strong point and getting any good ideas approved is worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit!

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!